Star Trek's 6 most ridiculous alien races

Talk about both the movies and the books.

Moderator: aTOMiC

Cail
Lord

Star Trek's 6 most ridiculous alien races

Post by Cail »

www.cracked.com/article_17317_star-trek ... races.html
Looking to score yourself some bootleg Romulan ale, a few green hookers and the best damn cannoli in the quadrant? Well head on over to Sigma Iotia II, home of low-down dirty space mobsters, the Iotians.
It doesn't help that the Trek producers had women play all the J'naii, making them come off less androgynous, and more like a planet of women's softball coaches.

The episode's message ends up completely garbled. Intended as a condemnation of homophobia, the episode instead comes off as the story of one woman's brave quest for cock in the face of lesbian tyranny.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Funny!
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I always disliked the Beta Zeds (sp) - Counsellor Troi's species because of the dumb name, their mystical abilities and for the fact that they don't seem or look alien. The species of Woopie Goldberg's character and Dr. Soren were awful - what was with the 'we listen' that was supposed to make them different? Never been a fan of the Romulans, either.

However, I think the Cardassians rank as one of the greatest alien species in Sci-fi television.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Madadeva
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Madadeva »

I kinda liked the Dowd in TNG. :biggrin:
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

great article. :)

i like tribbles.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

I dislike all the races with god-like powers.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

Loremaster wrote:I always disliked the Beta Zeds (sp) - Counsellor Troi's species because of the dumb name, their mystical abilities and for the fact that they don't seem or look alien. The species of Woopie Goldberg's character and Dr. Soren were awful - what was with the 'we listen' that was supposed to make them different? Never been a fan of the Romulans, either.

However, I think the Cardassians rank as one of the greatest alien species in Sci-fi television.
DS9 Ranks as one of the greatest shows in sci fi television. In retrospect it was REALLY underrated. It's by far my favorite trek.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

The Dreaming wrote:
Loremaster wrote:I always disliked the Beta Zeds (sp) - Counsellor Troi's species because of the dumb name, their mystical abilities and for the fact that they don't seem or look alien. The species of Woopie Goldberg's character and Dr. Soren were awful - what was with the 'we listen' that was supposed to make them different? Never been a fan of the Romulans, either.

DS9 Ranks as one of the greatest shows in sci fi television. In retrospect it was REALLY underrated. It's by far my favorite trek.
Agreed. It's the one ST series I actually really got into.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

What they said. DS9 is the best.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I like all the races with god-like powers.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

aTOMiC wrote:I like all the races with god-like powers.
#1 Q fan here. He probably doesn't count here, but whatever.

More accurately, I'm a fan of Trek stories where Picard/Kirk/Janeway find a way to deal with beings who possess god-like powers. Q just happens to be very funny even when the tables are turned on him.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Q always annoyed me. Not the god-like powers. Just him.

--A
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

I might consider overexposure on Trek as an annoying aspect of Q.

No, wait, that was the Borg.
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

Hey, Matrix...don't go overborg here, geesh.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Without doubt, the best Q episode was from Voyager.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/index.html?curid=2037001
The scene in the Q Continuum was awesome!
Quinn: "I traveled the road many times. Sat on the porch, played the games. Been the dog. Everything! I was even the scarecrow for a while."
Janeway: "Why?"
Quinn: "Because I hadn't done it."
Q: "Oh, we've all done the scarecrow. Big deal!"
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NS3sll2aXU
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

Most people can only give one reason why Voyager is better than DS9, Ill give you Seven of Nine.
Wide Eyed Stupid
Thorhammerhand
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Thorhammerhand »

I'd add to that, slightly better story line
If we all follow Berek's code of warriors then the world would be full of the worst warriors imaginable.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Mr. Broken wrote:Most people can only give one reason why Voyager is better than DS9, Ill give you Seven of Nine.
Even aside from the obvious, she was great. I've mentioned my favorite scenes before. I'll copy & paste.

There's the episode where the Doctor found out some of his memories had been erased. Turns out Janeway did it. Kim and some woman that the Doctor hardly knew (we didn't know her at all) had both been critically injured, and he only had time to save one. He chose Kim, solely because he had a personal friendship with him. He was going insane because of the randomness of his decision. No justice, no reason. Janeway erased his memory of the incident and the woman so that he would stay sane. Obviously, the Doctor found out what happened, and regained the memories. And started going crazy again. And Janeway erased them again. Finally, 7 went to Janeway and gave her a piece of her mind. Excellent scene!

Then there's the one where a Borg maturation chamber merged with the Doctor's 29th C holo-emitter, and the resulting Borg was REALLY advanced. 7 was the obvious choice to teach the Borg about everything, and she became close to it. He ended up being mortally wounded when he fought off the Borg when they tried to take him. He could have repaired himself, and 7 was begging him to. But he didn't, because he knew the Borg would always come after Voyager, as long as he was alive. When 7 begged him, "Please. You are hurting me." I tell ya, Jeri was GREAT!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

I remember the one with the Doctor in my haphazard viewing of Voyager reruns. The one with the advanced Borg sounds pretty cool. One of these days I hope to get Voyager on DVD.

Return to “Star Wars and Star Trek Forum”