Boldface type

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

Boldface type

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

Authors of these kinds of series often write the dialogue for certain characters in some special way. Terry Brooks made the Warlock Lord talk in all caps, I think, and the Dark One from The Wheel of Time does that, too.

The Despiser's stuff is normal in this series, though. The only unique typesetting is for the Viles and then Linden when she resurrects Covenant. I doubt this is pure coincidence, but I don't know what it means, either...

*Shrugs* Didn't find any other threads about this, so figured I'd post about it.
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

Cool! Interesting observation. I'd never thought about it before (except to think it was for emphasis). But you might have a point...although I don't know what it means either.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I would say that this is the author's way of reminding you that the Viles are not actually speaking in the way that we speak. It's a different form of communication.

I don't think that Donaldson has had this issue come up before in the Chronicles.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

wayfriend wrote:I would say that this is the author's way of reminding you that the Viles are not actually speaking in the way that we speak. It's a different form of communication.

I don't think that Donaldson has had this issue come up before in the Chronicles.
True, it always seems that Foul takes some bodily form when communicating... and I don't recall the Ravers saying anything unless they were possessing someone...
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Some of Kevin's conversation with Linden in WGW was in all caps, IIRC, but I think SRD was only trying to emphasize the force of the communcation and/or Kevin was shouting. Otherwise, I agree with WF about the Viles.
Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam

wayfriend wrote:I would say that this is the author's way of reminding you that the Viles are not actually speaking in the way that we speak. It's a different form of communication.
I know that, they're described as speaking in dark swirls of intentionality or something. But is that how *Linden* talks when she's resurrecting Covenant? What's with that? If we got the Lords' mind-melding or the Haruchai telepathy or Nom's dialogue from the POV of someone interacting with those people on their special level of communication, would it all be boldface typeset too?
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Boldface type

Post by Vader »

Mighara Sovmadhi wrote:Authors of these kinds of series often write the dialogue for certain characters in some special way. Terry Brooks made the Warlock Lord talk in all caps, I think, and the Dark One from The Wheel of Time does that, too.

The Despiser's stuff is normal in this series, though. The only unique typesetting is for the Viles and then Linden when she resurrects Covenant. I doubt this is pure coincidence, but I don't know what it means, either...

*Shrugs* Didn't find any other threads about this, so figured I'd post about it.
Who could forget him:
"I said I hope it is a good party", said Galder, loudly.
AT THE MOMENT IT IS, said Death levelly. I THINK IT MIGHT GO DOWNHILL VERY QUICKLY AT MIDNIGHT.
"Why?"
THATS WHEN THEY THINK I'LL BE TAKING MY MASK OFF.
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Boldface type

Vader wrote: Who could forget him:
"I said I hope it is a good party", said Galder, loudly.
AT THE MOMENT IT IS, said Death levelly. I THINK IT MIGHT GO DOWNHILL VERY QUICKLY AT MIDNIGHT.
"Why?"
THATS WHEN THEY THINK I'LL BE TAKING MY MASK OFF.
I didn't even get through the film. :?

Return to “Fatal Revenant”