Global Climate Change

Archive From The 'Tank
Kalkin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Kalkin »

Zarathustra wrote: Hmm . . . you didn't seem to have a problem when Avatar quoted exactly the same portion, and then agreed. :D
I'm not sure how anyone could have agreed or disagreed with me, as I gave no position, just a hypothetical. :biggrin:

Let me clarify a bit, then. Suppose all of the carbon-trading and international bullcrap were off the table, would you agrre that limiting carbon-emmisions, researching alternate fuels, and in general being more "green" is a good thing?

*edited for spelling
"How do you say 'we're screwed' in your native tongue?" ~ John Crichton

And on the Eighth Day God created Whiskey so that the Irish would not rule the Earth
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Kalkin wrote:
Zarathustra wrote: Hmm . . . you didn't seem to have a problem when Avatar quoted exactly the same portion, and then agreed. :D
I'm not sure how anyone could have agreed or disagreed with me, as I gave no position, just a hypothetical. :biggrin:

Let me clarify a bit, then. Suppose all of the carbon-trading and international bullcrap were off the table, would you agrre that limiting carbon-emmisions, researching alternate fuels, and in general being more "green" is a good thing?

*edited for spelling
Apparently, not edited enough.... :lol:

But yeah, I agree with the bolded part. I think getting the US off of fossil fuels is the most important thing we can do. It's ridiculous that we're beholden to countries that hate us. It's also ridiculous that we have brown air and water in so many places.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Kalkin wrote: I'm not sure how anyone could have agreed or disagreed with me, as I gave no position, just a hypothetical.
Ah, you're right. How sloppy of me. I shouldn't have assumed that your question implied anything.

*edited for spelling
No. I don't think there is any rational reason to limit carbon emissions. To do so would drive up energy costs, and add to the price of every commodity manufactured and transported. This would hurt our entire economy, and hurt poor people more than anyone else. It would be a massive regressive tax passed on to every consumer.

I think that anyone who wants to research alternate fuels should do so. And they should pay for it. If their research bears fruit, and it's affordable, I'll buy it. But not if it's more expensive than fossil fuels. What's the point?

As for your final question, I suppose being more "green" is a good thing. I want clean water and clean air. But I already have those. Right now what I want more than anything is a growing economy. Subsidizing an entire industry ("green energy") which isn't profitable is a recipe for another bubble and even larger recession. That's not how you create jobs, by forcing the tax payers to pay for something that doesn't make a profit. That's how you destroy an economy. Combined with reduced carbon emissions, this will bankrupt our country even faster than we're currently doing it with entitlements. I don't know where people think all this money comes from. I don't think they care.

American Thinker had a good article today on why one "green" energy, wind power, makes no sense.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

Cail wrote:Finn, it's very simple. AGW does not exist. If it does, someone needs to prove it. There's a hypothesis out there, and the vast majority of the data supporting it is suspect whether you want to admit it or not.

That being the case, you (and not just you specifically) can work towards an actual solution (reducing pollution and increasing wealth), or you can continue to beat the AGW drum and obstruct every other move towards bettering air quality (which is exactly what the vast majority of the AGW crowd has done).
Cail, if AGW does not exist GW certainly does; what needs to be proved is that remedial action will alleviate the GW. We have discussed this before and you know, because I have directly responded to you, that I supported Kyoto for the fact that it is an International Forum and an International Forum is needed. Equally I do not support Emission Trading schemse per se, but do support the establishment of a system that will motivate and be the impetus to change our practices for the better: EMS is, if implemented properly, a means to that end as has been the case in Europe.

My almost solo resistance to what I still consider a very loud but nonetheless minority view, is driven in part by a refusal to concede a position to some of the drivel reported, re-posted and posing as intellectual comment, when much of it is clearly ludicrously partisan, innaccurate and deceptive, and part by the conviction that the status quo is folly regardless of who is responsible for GW.

I am trying to hold a position despite the weight of hogwash that is being spouted by the AGW opponents, the GW opponents and the Climate Change opponents. Some of the writers posted are not just against AGW but are against any belief in a changing climate; even when disproven these psuedo journalists try to cherry pick and smear. I am not asking for any support; I hold my own views as do you, but if my views were being sullied by such nonsense I'd be trying to rein in the garbage throwing of those who stood on my side of the line to keep the integrity of my view clean! However standing by and doing nothing serves the same end.... what was it about the best way for evil to prevail is for good people to do nothing?

A win for the "other side" is delay and inactivity and undermining any positive action, ie doing nothing, but this also derails any real chance of driving in changes that would be beneficial to cleaning up the environment and creating the impetus to develop the means to get off of non renewable energy sources, plus improve the uses of it we do make.

I do not see that belief or otherwise in AGW is mutually exclusive from: reducing pollution and increasing wealth
Actually, that's what I've been suggesting for years, but Finn and others here have poo-pooed that idea. Finn, Al Gore is responsible for insisting the debate is over.
As such, I think this is grossly unfair, I have always advocated the need for pollution reduction and the development of new industry (with consequential wealth generation) to develop cleaner and greener tcehnologies. If I've shifted positions a bit it is as a result of having to refute some real nonsense and for the record (again) I have as little time for Gore as you do; he too is but a means to an end.
"Winston, if you were my husband I'd give you poison" ................ "Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it!"

"Terrorism is war by the poor, and war is terrorism by the rich"

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well."

"The opposite of pro-life isn't pro-death. Y'know?"

"What if the Hokey Cokey really is what its all about?"
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

finn wrote: I do not see that belief or otherwise in AGW is mutually exclusive from: reducing pollution and increasing wealth
It is mutually exclusive with creating wealth as long as this "new industry" is subsidized with tax payer money, and the new industry isn't profitable. You can usually tell it's not profitable when the government must subsidize it with tax payer money. If there was a profit in it, you wouldn't need to force people to "invest" in it. They would do it on their own.

We've been forcing our tax payers to spend billions over the last 30 years trying to make wind energy profitable. So far, no success. You can't run a 21st century civilization on 16th century technology and expect it to be profitable. We might as well hook horses up to our cars.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Z--

Can't agree with you completely about not using government subsidies...Any new technology that is attempting to break the paradigm which supports a large conglomeration of business interests will be opposed to the utmost to defend their profitability (and very existence, possibly). Governmental assistance to enable the fledgling technology to have a genuine chance to prove its worth can be necessary. Look at how coal has fought every other source of power generation (I'm not just talking about wind...they were anti-nuke, anti-hydro, they are resisting geothermal research). Now, current wind-power tech is NOT economically feasible. More basic research is needed to bring costs down and efficiency up. The only wind-power farms that should be being built are test-beds at this point as proof-of-concept. When these are demonstrably viable (in terms of power generation, efficiency, and cost), THEN we should make a push to build large-scale ones.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Seven Words, nothing stops private investors from spending their money. There is no conspiracy from Big Oil to keep alternative energy sources from being developed. In fact, they are researching these alternative energies, too.

Part of the reason these technologies are still "fledgling" (despite all the decades we've wasted trying to develop them) is precisely because the government is footing the bill. When people work for grants, instead of profit, they have no incentive to produce decisive results. They can get by for years on mediocrity--or even abject failure--simply because there is political will for more spending. Political will is nothing like profit motive. In the real world driven by profit motive, you must produce results. In the fantasy world of idealism and political wish-lists, all you need is passionate, ill-informed voters and Al Gores to manipulate them. Presto! Unending money supply going to a technology that can't work. Even if we made windmills 100% efficient, they can't work when the wind stops blowing. For this reason, the coal-fired powerplants which back them up must be kept running continuously, because they can't be started up at the drop of a hat, and we can't have blackout everytime the wind stops.

Government money is the problem.
Kalkin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Kalkin »

Agrre isn't a word? Doesn't it mean agree in a threatening way?
"How do you say 'we're screwed' in your native tongue?" ~ John Crichton

And on the Eighth Day God created Whiskey so that the Irish would not rule the Earth
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Zarathustra wrote:Seven Words, nothing stops private investors from spending their money. There is no conspiracy from Big Oil to keep alternative energy sources from being developed. In fact, they are researching these alternative energies, too.
I don't think that's necesarily true. If "Big Oil" is able to effectively stomp the competition of fledgling technologies, that's a pretty big barrier to private investment. Sure, private investors could technically invest in "green" technology...much like one could join a third party, but the results are the same: nothing comes of it, you might as well invest in something surer.
Part of the reason these technologies are still "fledgling" (despite all the decades we've wasted trying to develop them) is precisely because the government is footing the bill. When people work for grants, instead of profit, they have no incentive to produce decisive results. They can get by for years on mediocrity--or even abject failure--simply because there is political will for more spending. Political will is nothing like profit motive.
Nothing has hurt scientific research like the promise of profit. Everytime a gene is discovered, there's a rush to patent it, so any useful research that involves this gene runs into the issue of increased costs. This is because Congress had the bright idea to allow researchers at universities to profit from the results of their research. What happens? The scientific community no longer works in unison, progress is slowed.

And you know what will really piss you off about this, Z? These same people who are implementing these counter-productive practices are still subsidized by the government. Ultimately, the reason why progress is slow is because everyone wants to be the one to make the breakthrough and get all the profits. The real problem is not subsidization by the government, the problem is subsidizing and adding some free-market in the mix. If one method was exclusively implemented, we'd see improvement in research.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Farsailer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Farsailer »

Zarathustra wrote:American Thinker had a good article today on why one "green" energy, wind power, makes no sense.
Now I think I understand why Pickens gave up on wind power: someone must have educated him on the economics of it...

I have driven by those things at Altamont and Tehachapi. Most of the turbines are just not moving anymore.

I agree that the only way to really get anywhere in alternative energy is to attach a profit motive to it in lieu of government subsidies. I am not terribly worried about the loss of oil. Gotta figure by that time, we will likely have enough ingenuity tied to profit motive to figure it out.
A government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take everything you have.
ParanoiA
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ParanoiA »

Seven Words wrote: Can't agree with you completely about not using government subsidies...Any new technology that is attempting to break the paradigm which supports a large conglomeration of business interests will be opposed to the utmost to defend their profitability (and very existence, possibly). Governmental assistance to enable the fledgling technology to have a genuine chance to prove its worth can be necessary.
Particularly since a valid argument for national security interest can be made. I almost see it as a civil defense operation.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

ParanoiA wrote:Particularly since a valid argument for national security interest can be made. I almost see it as a civil defense operation.
There is absolutely no security interest in getting off of oil. We export oil (to 70 countries--buy it from 90 countries). Sure, we import more than we export, but we're not even drilling for all the oil we have here. We could get off foreign oil if we wanted to. It just doesn't make economic sense to do so. Thus, we don't.

Presidents have been talking about getting off foreign oil since at least Nixon. Maybe earlier. There has been no threat to our security in all those decades by purchasing cheap oil from the Middle East. In fact, one could argue that because we buy cheap oil, it has enabled our economy to grow, and a strong economy is the single biggest factor in building up our military to the power it is now. A strong economy is more important to national security than where we get our oil.

If the M.E. cut us off tomorrow, they'd find another customer willing to buy it. And we could simply buy it off the people who bought it (which would be the reason they'd buy it, since they can't replace our massive demand). Oil trades hands many times. It's a global market. Everyone is buying and selling with each other. In fact, this diversity of sources actually makes the market (and our supply) MORE stable.

Energy independence is just another way to crash our economy. It's ludicrous.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY9Wp-enjiY&feature=related

[Edit: that's the most relevant clip, but the following two links are the ones which lead up to it.]

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTrGcqADE78
www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6j6NdFRt8&feature=related

[The rest of the show is online, too.]

Notable quote of the clip, subsidies for alternative energy is "welfare for billionaires."
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Zarathustra wrote:Seven Words, nothing stops private investors from spending their money. There is no conspiracy from Big Oil to keep alternative energy sources from being developed. In fact, they are researching these alternative energies, too.

Part of the reason these technologies are still "fledgling" (despite all the decades we've wasted trying to develop them) is precisely because the government is footing the bill. When people work for grants, instead of profit, they have no incentive to produce decisive results. They can get by for years on mediocrity--or even abject failure--simply because there is political will for more spending. Political will is nothing like profit motive. In the real world driven by profit motive, you must produce results. In the fantasy world of idealism and political wish-lists, all you need is passionate, ill-informed voters and Al Gores to manipulate them. Presto! Unending money supply going to a technology that can't work. Even if we made windmills 100% efficient, they can't work when the wind stops blowing. For this reason, the coal-fired powerplants which back them up must be kept running continuously, because they can't be started up at the drop of a hat, and we can't have blackout everytime the wind stops.

Government money is the problem.
Government money, as currently used, is the problem. Private funding to develop and test on small scale. Then, once they can prove the viability (in economic terms), government involvement. NOT handout. But low-interest loans. I do hope you aren't comparing me to Al Gore. The man's become an idiot. He's become a whacko tree-hugger. I doubt wind will ever be viable, personally.
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

From Modern Economic Issues:
E. Contradicting a common assertion, the U.S. doesn’t import most of its oil from the Middle East.
1. In 2007 our top foreign suppliers were Canada, Mexico, Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, Venezuela, and Angola. Only 15% of total consumption comes from Middle Eastern countries
2. However, because the oil market is a world market, events in an oil-producing country (such as Iran) with which we have no dealings whatsoever will influence the price of our oil.
So, doesn't seem to be a national security issue, altho we would care about ME if we care about price of oil.
--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

No Seven, not comparing you to Al Gore.

Cybrweez, even if we produced all our own oil, it is a global market and events in the middle east would still affect the prices. Nothing we can do about that, except take over the Middle East. 8)
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

Yea, it just paints the whole picture. What happens in ME is important, if we care about prices, but not so much about national security.

Unless the percentages have changed quite a bit from 2007.
--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

A key component of the scientific argument for anthropogenic global warming (AGW) has been disproven. The results are hiding in plain sight in peer-reviewed journals.

[...]

Three peer-reviewed journal contain data contradicting the AGW hypothesis.

[...]

The science behind the AGW hypothesis is that increased amounts of CO2 in the atmosphere (that humans produce by burning fossil fuels) will block more outgoing long-wave IR radiation (OLR) from exiting the atmosphere and thereby warm the surface. It is well-known that IR radiation causes CO2 molecules to vibrate, but only at very specific wavelengths (wavelengths are the distances between peaks of each wave), and that wavelength is 15µm. (Fifteen µm means that each wavelength crests at a distance of 15 millionths of a meter.) As was discussed above, this vibration of the molecule causes it to heat and then radiate IR radiation back toward the atmosphere and the surface of the Earth. If the solar activity is taken to remain constant, more CO2 in the atmosphere will trap more of the OLR, and thus cause a net heating of the planet.

So what type of experiment could be performed to test this AGW hypothesis? If there were satellites in orbit monitoring the emission of OLR over time at the same location, then OLR could be measured in a very controlled manner. If, over time, the emission of OLR in the wavelengths that CO2 absorbs decreases over time, then that would prove the AGW hypothesis (i.e., that OLR is being absorbed by CO2 and heating the planet instead of being emitted from the atmosphere). But what if, over time (say, over thirty years), the emissions of OLR wavelengths that CO2 absorb remained constant? That would disprove the hypothesis and put the AGW argument to bed.

As luck would have it, that experiment has actually been performed!
Three journal papers report the data from three monitoring satellites that have measured the OLR of 1997 and 2006 and compared those measurements to 1970, and they are located here, here, and here.

There were three different experiments performed in space to measure OLR emissions. The Infrared Interferometer Spectrometer (IRIS) was performed in 1970, the Interferometer Monitor of Greenhouse Gases (IMG) was performed in 1997, and the Tropospheric Emission Spectrometer (TES) was performed in 2006. All of these experiments were performed over the Pacific Ocean and confined to the same three-month period (April through June), and the data were limited to cloudless days. The variable measured was brightness temperature, which is given in degrees Kelvin (K). Higher brightness temperatures correlate to higher emissions (meaning that more OLR is emitted to the atmosphere and less is absorbed by GHG).

[...]

The next figure (from the second link above) shows the actual measurements of OLR emission in 1997 vs. 1970. The dark line is the IMG data (from 1997), and the gray line is the IRIS line (from (1970). After analyzing this graph, the following conclusion can be drawn: The 1997 OLR associated with CO2 is identical to that in 1970.

[...]

So the results of three different peer-reviewed papers show that over a period of 36 years, there is no reduction of OLR emissions in wavelengths that CO2 absorb. Therefore, the AGW hypothesis is disproven.

It should be noted that another paper written by Richard Lindzen and Yong-Sang Choi (both work at MIT's Department of Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences -- Lindzen is a professor and Choi is a postdoctoral fellow) reveals the differences between the measured OLR and its impact on temperatures vs. climate models. In the paper, the data showed that OLR increased when sea surface temperatures increased, so this is in direct contradiction to the AGW hypothesis that less OLR should be emitted since more CO2 is absorbing it and warming the planet. Furthermore, in contradiction to the climate models, these results show that OLR is acting like a negative feedback (cooling the surface) instead of a positive feedback (radiative forcing). The Lindzen and Choi paper dealt in general with all OLR wavelengths and didn't show granularity with respect to specific wavelengths that were related to various GHG absorption, but the fact that the entire OLR emission spectrum didn't behave like the eleven climate models' predictions means that "the science isn't settled."
link

It's really very simple: in order for global warming (due to increased greenhouse gasses) to be actually happening, the infrared radiation that escapes back out into space must be decreasing. That's how the planet is supposed to be warming--that heat is purportedly trapped by more greenhouse gasses, instead of escaping to space. There's no way around this point, if we're talking about a greenhouse effect. However, the measured amount escaping is identical over the 36 year period that was measured, a period that saw increased temperatures on the surface. Therefore, the warming must be due to another factor (i.e. the sun). If the same amount of heat is being lost to space, then there is no AGW due to increased greenhouse gasses.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

That's all well and good, but OLR is only one form of heat... heat can come from elsewhere (UV, energy released from technology, etc.), and the question is, where does all this energy go? Afterall, it can not be created or destroyed.

Furthermore, (though I'll have to read the article more closly later, where's that bookmark?) the amount of OLR radiation escaping into space is unimportant, but rather the ratio. If more OLR radiation is in the earth due to the human factor, and the rate of OLR radiation escaping into space is the same as it's always been, then there is a problem.

Now, in all fairness, the AGW's hypothesis involves OLR radiation, and as the result could be incorrect in view of this data. However, that does not mean that the heat is coming from elsewhere and it doesn't meant that pollution has nothing to do with it. At the most, it would just mean that OLR radiation has little to nothing to do with it.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

And I'll just mention my old plaint about the difference between AGW and ACC...which are not necessarily mutually inclusive.

--A
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Av, I understand you're stressing the difference between climate change and global warming. But how are *we* supposed to be changing the climate if not by greenhouse gas emissions? And if that doesn't mean warming, then what else can it possibly mean? I understand that global warming can cause counter-intuitive changes like more snow (because of warmer atmosphere producing more moisture in the air), but it's still tied to warming, right? And specifically, warming due to GHG emissions. That specific point is what the satellite data contradicts.

Orlion, you're right that there is warming due to other factors. The urban heat island effect causes local temperature increases around cities (where most of our thermometers are located). But that's entirely the point here: it contradicts global warming due to CO2 emissions. Unless we plan on tearing down all our cities, there's not much we can do about that.

The urban heat island effect has nothing to do with pollution. It's the change that happens when you turn trees and dirt into concrete sidewalks and asphalt roads. These hold more heat. Also, our buildings produce heat as a by-product of air conditioning, electric lighting, moving people up and down in elevators, etc. It's not pollution, but rather entropy. Again, there is little we can do about this, since we can't make our machines 100% efficient.

Return to “Coercri”