New Humanoid Species Found

Those who do not learn history are doomed to use this quote over and over again.

Moderators: danlo, Damelon

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Where the hell is the archaeology thread?

Anyway, if the mods think this belongs elsewhere feel free to move it.

Two partial skeletons unearthed in a South African cave belong to a previously unclassified species of pre-human dating back almost two million years and may shed new light on human evolution, scientists said on Thursday.

Fossils of the bones of a young male and an adult female suggest the newly documented species, called Australopithecus sediba, walked upright and shared many physical traits with the earliest known human Homo species.

The finding of the pre-human, or hominid, fossils - which scientists say are between 1.78 and 1.95 million years old - was published in the journal Science and may answer some key questions about where humans came from.

Lee Berger of the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, who led the team that found the fossils in August 2008, said the team were hoping to reveal a possible two further skeletons from the same site.

He was reluctant to define the new species as a "missing link" in human evolutionary history, but said it would "contribute enormously to our understanding of what was going on at that moment where the early members of the genus Homo emerged".

Powerful hands

"Australopithecus sediba is undoubtedly a highly transitional species with a mosaic of characters that are shared by later hominids... in the line of the genus homo, as well as features that are shared by earlier hominids," he told reporters in a telephone briefing.

Many experts believe the human genus Homo evolved from the Australopithecus genus about two million years ago. One of the best-known pre-humans is "Lucy", the skeleton of a species called Australopithecus afarensis, and this new species is about one million years younger than "Lucy", the scientists said.

The fossils, a juvenile male and an adult female, were found in the Malapa caves in the "Cradle of Humankind" World Heritage Site, 40km outside Johannesburg.

The species had long arms, like an ape, short powerful hands, a very advanced pelvis and long legs capable of striding and possibly running like a human, the researchers said.

The scientists estimate both hominids were about 1.27m, although the child would have grown taller.

The brain size of the younger one was probably between 420 and 450 cubic centimetres, which is small when compared with the human brain of about 1 200 to 1 600 cubic centimetres, they said.

"These fossils give us an extraordinarily detailed look into a new chapter of human evolution... when hominids made the committed change from dependency on life in the trees to life on the ground," said Berger.

Paul Dirks of James Cook University in Australia, who also worked on the study, said he and a team of researchers from around the world identified the fossils of at least 25 other species of animals in the cave, including sabre-toothed cats, a wildcat, a brown hyena, a wild dog, antelopes and a horse.

- Reuters
--A
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

It's 11 threads down, Jumpin' Jack Flash! :mrgreen: It's fine on it's own, for now...

I caught a flash of that two days ago, but wanted a little more verification. As an Anthro student I was intrigued, but whenever I see the word Australopithecus I'm always a tad skeptical. This looks very cool, however...
Last edited by danlo on Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fall far and well Pilots!

Post by Avatar »

What makes you sceptical about australepithecus?

--A
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I can't find it by googling right now, we probably need kinslaughterer here. But, if I recall correctly, there was a big controversy back in the early '70s about a bogus australepithecus-47 (or some number like that) that I think turned out to be either Homo hablis or Piltdown Man, that centered around (don't be shocked) Richard Leakey.

Post by Avatar »

Oh yeah, I remember that. (Well, reading about it anyway. :lol: )

(It was Piltdown man that was the hoax though, not autralopithecus...found in the UK, exposed in 1953.)

This one seems perfectly legit though, and apparently quite a breakthrough in terms of "transitional" fossils.

--A
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I'm wrong about Piltdown, I think this happened later involving a find in the Olduvia Gorge in Kenya. (I spelled Olduvia wrong did.'t I?). It definatelty involved a skull called Australopithecus-47 (maybe the numbers' off and that's why it doesn't google).

I guess it was identified incorrectly and yes isn't Homo Hablis the general classification the includes Autralopithecus?
Last edited by danlo on Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Avatar »

(Olduvai ;) )

Far as I know, Habilis is later than Australopithecus.

Will look around...not finding anything right now. Tell Kin's to drop by... ;)

--A
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Oh crap I'm even more off base than I imagined! The Australopithecus discoveries, really, began in the '70s. The controversy I was thinking about was, actually this:

As Dr. Leakey's son, Richard Leakey, pointed out when he found a Homo habilis skull, "Either we toss out this skull or we toss out our theories of early man. It simply fits no models of human beginnings." The skull he had ("skull 1470") looked more like modern man than Australopithecus, and even Homo Erectus.

And you're right Australopithecus pre-dates habilis.

Post by Avatar »

Ah, gotcha. :D So no reason to be suspicious of poor old australopithecus. ;)

--A
Barnetto
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Barnetto »

Pretty sure that the whole point is the genus divide between Australopithecus and Homo (obviously Habilis is a sub-species of Homo).

There are heaps of fossils for both and lots of sub-species. The controversy isn't over there existence/correctness but over the detailed classification. How do you determine a new species of a long extinct animal based on such fragmentary and isolated evidence. Where do you draw dividing lines, both between species and Genus.

All very fascinating but don't lump it in with the Piltdown Man Hoax that was perpetrated in the 1920s on a very different scientific community (at least technology wise)!!

PS why don't these posts come up on the What's New. The chances of me finding something like this discussion without spending hours combing the KevinsWatch boards is negligible.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

You guys might be thinking about the "Missing Link Found!" headlines last year. Turns out it was a significant find but nothing special.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image

Post by Avatar »

Agreed Barnetto. Piltdown set back the classification theories back years. Caused some very interesting (South African :lol: ) australopithecines to be ignored.
Barnetto wrote:PS why don't these posts come up on the What's New. The chances of me finding something like this discussion without spending hours combing the KevinsWatch boards is negligible.
Hahaha, I dunno...I never use the "what's new" so I'm not sure how it works. Maybe it runs over more than one page?

What I do is check the forums I'm interested in, using the little orange "flags" next to each forum to determine which have new posts in.

It pays to click into each one on a regular basis, just to see what the current topics are. But, (I'll let you in on a secret), very often, especially in long topics, the conversation has little if anything to do with the original topic. :lol: It's best to skim anything that looks vaguely interesting, if you have the time. :D

HLT, could be. I think there might have been a thread about it. These ones seem much more promising though.

--A

Return to “Doriendor Corishev”