Pitchwife and deep things

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Thorhammerhand
<i>Elohim</i>

Pitchwife and deep things

Post by Thorhammerhand »

I am currently looking for the section where PW is talking to (i think its) LA about the need to learn.

He talks about how the first needed to learn how top use her blade to become the best warrior she could be.

Any ideas?
If we all follow Berek's code of warriors then the world would be full of the worst warriors imaginable.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Pitchwife and deep things

Post by Vraith »

Thorhammerhand wrote:I am currently looking for the section where PW is talking to (i think its) LA about the need to learn.

He talks about how the first needed to learn how top use her blade to become the best warrior she could be.

Any ideas?
2 possibles off the top of my head [no promises]...after the "Gem" is broken, and he needs to repair it...or when they are nearing Foul's Creche.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Linden roused herself to ask, "They why are they so cryptic? They haven't given you anything except hints and mystification. Why don't they come right out and tell you what you need to know?"

"Ah, that is plain to me," Pitchwife replied on Covenant's behalf. "Unearned knowledge is perilous. Only by the seeking and gaining of it may its uses be understood, its true worth measured. Had Gossamer Glowlimn my wife been mystically granted the skill and power of her blade without training or test or experience, by what means could she then choose where to strike her blows, how extremely to put forth her strength? Unearned knowledge rules its wielder, to the cost of both."
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Thorhammerhand
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Thorhammerhand »

Thanks all

That the quote I was looking for.

THH
If we all follow Berek's code of warriors then the world would be full of the worst warriors imaginable.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Here's another great moment of his:
"Is that more of your pitch? How do you make it?"

At that, he laughed, and his mirth came more easily. "Yes, Chosen. In all good sooth, this is my pitch. The vat is formed of dolomite, that it may not be fused as would the stone of Starfare's Gem. But as to the making of pitch - ah, that it skills nothing for me to relate. You are neither Giant nor wiver. And the power of pitch arises as does any other, from the essence of the adept who wields it. All power is an articulation of its wielder. There is no other source than life - and the desire of that life to express itself. But there must also be a means of articulation. I can say little but that this pitch is my chosen means. Having said that, I have left you scarce wiser than before."

Linden shrugged away his disclaimer. "Then what you're saying," she murmured slowly, "is that the power of wild magic comes from Covenant himself? The ring is just his - his means of articulation?"

He nodded. "I believe that to be sooth. But the means controls intimately the nature of what may be expressed. By my pitch I may accomplish nothing for the knitting of broken limbs, just as no theurgy of the flesh may seal stone as I do."

(and moments later)

"Be not so hasty in your appraisal of these Elohim. They are who they are - a high and curious people - and their might is matched and conflicted and saddened by their limitations."
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”