Football World Cup South Africa 2010

Baseball, Basketball, Footbal, Soccer, Curling, Poker, ect...

Moderators: Lord Mhoram, StevieG, hierachy

Barnetto
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Barnetto »

Phantasm wrote:Will be watching the WC with interest, but with great trepidation.[/img]
Oh well, at least England made it to provide the element of real interest that you lack... it looks like being a long time before Scotland make a return...

Though I confidently predict (as a typical Midlander) that England will fail to meet any and all inflated expectations and you have no need of your trepidation.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

At least you'll probably get through the first round or two. :lol:

--A
Barnetto
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Barnetto »

Avatar wrote:At least you'll probably get through the first round or two. :lol:--A
I hesitate to suggest such a thing for fear of annoying too many US readers on the watch! ;)
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

I have a suspicion the US will do well this year. Even considering a moderate bet on them.....
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Phantasm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Phantasm »

Stonemaybe wrote:I have a suspicion the US will do well this year. Even considering a moderate bet on them.....
A VERY moderate bet I suggest.
Quote - John Smeaton (Terrorists take note)

"This is Glasgow- we'll just set aboot ye"

Phantasm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Phantasm »

I'm gonna be in England (Halifax) on the weekend of the Quarter finals, visiting some of the wifes relatives.
If England are in the Quarters, which I would be totally amazed if they weren't, I'll be the only person in the pub supporting their opposition. Wish me luck because I couldn't hide my jubilation if the other team scored.

I might even wear my Scotland top just to add a bit of devilment :twisted:

However, I have to admit that the level of patriotism and the amount of St Georges cross flags on display during a major tournament are very impressive, and a testament to their support.
Quote - John Smeaton (Terrorists take note)

"This is Glasgow- we'll just set aboot ye"

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

That could be interesting Phantasm! You Scots have guts, I'll give you that :lol:

If Australia get through to the 2nd round I'll be amazed (and don't worry I'll be writing in here!!)

38 days to go... :biggrin:
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen

Post by Avatar »

Barnetto wrote:
Avatar wrote:At least you'll probably get through the first round or two. :lol:--A
I hesitate to suggest such a thing for fear of annoying too many US readers on the watch! ;)
Haha, actually, I was talking about South Africa. :D

--A
Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

England and Algeria will make it out of the group but Spain will win the whole thing or Italy through cheating
DEATH IS A PREFERABLE ALTERNATIVE TO COMMUNISM!
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

I am getting a little excited. Ballack out, Ghana thumped by Holland 4-1, Serbia losing to NZ and Poland, Oz coming in to form... 6 days to go!!!!!!!!

I think there might be a friendly between Australia and USA - could be interesting.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

StevieG wrote:I think there might be a friendly between Australia and USA - could be interesting.
I read that there's one scheduled, and it should be interesting.
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

USA v England tomorrow!

You Yanks looking forward to the massive beatdown coming your way?
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

I'm looking forward to that one! Only 2.5 hours until kick off - South Africa v Mexico!!!

Excited!!!

EDIT: 53 minutes to kick off!!!

... 14 minutes!!
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

didn't see the first game, but how boring was france vs uruguay?

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

The first game was excellent. I LIKE South Africa!! They move the ball quickly, short passes. They blow the boring conventional play of the big countries. They should have snatched the win, giving the Mexicans what they deserved. Great start!

France/Uruguay was a complete dud. France looked promising early, but boring in the extreme.

The one I'm really looking forward to is England v USA - kick of 4.30am my time :crazy:
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

I'm still mulling over whether to go out to watch that one. On the one hand the atmosphere will be great, on the other I always get nervous (not having an English accent) being out when England play. And the arseholes will have had a whole day to get pissed up before the game.

Definitely going to try to find where the SK's in town are watching their game though.

As an aside - how bloody irritating are those horn things? they sound like a swarm of wasps stuck in the car with you in a traffic jam.

Post by Avatar »

Bah, you should try hearing them up close and personal. They sound is echoing across Jo'burg as I type. :lol:

Anyway, I watched the first game. I think we were bloody lucky to hold it to a draw, (but unlucky not to have had a second goal).

Room for improvement...passing looking good, possession not so much.

Still the other group game tied as well, so we have a chance of getting to the next round. Maybe. :lol:

UK-USA game 20h30 my time. Might check it out a bit.

--A
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

Nathan wrote:You Yanks looking forward to the massive beatdown coming your way?
*snort*

We'll see about that. ;)

I'll be able to watch the game today clear headed. I'm on antibiotics so no beer. The England game doesn't worry me regarding advancing. The other teams in the group aren't likely to do any better against them. Getting England out of the way first is also good. A better chance to trip them up out the gate than after they've played a couple. Slovenia does worry me though.

I was hoping that SA would have beaten Mexico yesterday. A Mexico fail is something I look forward to every World Cup.

Group stages are going to be tough viewing for me. The games are on in the morning while I'm working and the late games start @ 1:30 p, or a real late lunch. I picked up an app for my phone to follow it. It crashed at halftime of the first game. I wound up paging to the running commentary on the Guardian.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

I think SA were bloody lucky to survive the first 30 mins without conceding a goal. But after that, they settled and looked good. In the end, Mexico were lucky to get away with a draw.

Just watched South Korea v Greece. Korea looked sharp! They are so quick, and technically superb. Greece were awful - I don't think I've seen a worse performance from any team in a World Cup. Can't see them going anywhere...

Games for me are 9.30pm, 12 midnight, and 4.30am. I'm just now contemplating whether to stay up for Argentina v Nigeria - midnight game. I wanna :lol: - but it's going to hurt...
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

S korea looked good, didn't they? That 280-1 bet for them to win it doesn't look quite so foolish now!

Argentina didn't look so hot, though they did win. I think they'll struggle against better teams.

Decided to go out tonight for the England game - but I'm gonna stick close to my English mates, try to keep my wits about me, and I'm not going to wear my 'Pog Mo Thoin' t-shirt :lol:

Return to “Sports”