Lore and relics

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

Shadowslance
Servant of the Land

Lore and relics

Post by Shadowslance »

Remember back on the other chronicles that they mentioned that there were seven(?) artifacts or parts of lore that the lord were looking for and the Krill was number 5 or 6. Amok was also part of it as I recall. Anyone think that maybe Amok and the other parts of lore will return or are they all pretty much in the past.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

You're talking about Kevin's Wards, and I think we've seen the last of them. Amok died at the end of TIW, and Mhoram turned his back on Kevin's Lore at the end of TPTP. We've no need of that knowledge now.
chaplainchris
Stonedownor

Post by chaplainchris »

Agreed with dlbpharmd - though the fanboy geek in me wants to know where wards 4-6. Just for the sake of reminder, shadowslance, we know the locations of 4 of Kevin's Wards. He left the first with, iirc, the Giants, who gifted it to the people of the Land. The Second Ward was found under Mt. Thunder during the Quest for the Staff of Law, in LFB. In The WL, Covenant sees the treasures stored in Revelstone, and realizes that at some point between TPTP and TWL, the Third Ward was found.

Amok was, depending on semantics, either the 7th Ward in and of himself, or the guide to the 7th Ward, which was the Earthblood. Loric's krill comes in because awakening the krill was the sign that summoned Amok to the Land. It was supposed to be the signal that the first 6 Wards had been successfully mastered, and that with that mastery Loric's krill had been brought to life. Instead, Covenant awoke the krill with Wild Magic, thus bypassing Kevin's designs.

Wards 4, 5, and 6 were never recovered.
"The glory of God is a human being who is fully alive." - St. Irenaeus
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

Dang, well summarized chaplainchris.

:thumbsup:
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser
Starkin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Starkin »

chaplainchris wrote: Wards 4, 5, and 6 were never recovered.
Its cool to think what they might have been and where they are still hidden. Although, after all this time I'm sure they'd be redundant.

Wouldn't it be cool if SRD contrived a way for all or some of them to be used in TLD...? Nah, I know... that ship has sailed I think. He wouldn't take the story in that direction this late in the game. Still, cool to think about...

It appeals to the nerd in me. 8)
"Ah, my daughter, do not fear. You will not fail, however he may assail you. There is also love in the world. Be true."
Fuzzy_Logic
Woodhelvennin

Post by Fuzzy_Logic »

I don't know that they would be redundant--Linden & Co are far more powerful than the old Lords, but her abilities are less useful.

The old Lords had powers of communication and forbidding which would prove handy, since they need to forbid the worm. Personally, I assume the lore needed to forbid will be given by the earth itself, rather than from Kevin, but the wards might help.
Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

Kevin had full mastery of the Seven Wards, yet Foul surpassed him and he knew he couldn't win against him, hence Desecration.

The Word of Forbidding is something that Mhoram was familiar with, so it can't be part of the missing Wards.

Return to “Against All Things Ending”