AATE First Impressions

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

dlbpharmd
Lord

AATE First Impressions

Post by dlbpharmd »

I'm only 2/3 through the book, and I'm already stunned at the lack of imagination on the part of SRD. "She Who Must Not Be Named?" Why does SRD need MORE villains? He's had Lord Foul, a GOD who has been an awesome antagonist through 2 Chronicles. He's had 3 Ravers, who were responsible for the murder of trees and genocide of the Unhomed. He had ur-viles and Cavewights. He had the Illearth Stone and that great creation of fantasy literature known as the Sunbane. Now we get Mrs. Voldemort? Are you kidding me?

More to come. Disappointed so far. :evil:
largo
Servant of the Land

Post by largo »

I'm almost done the first half and am impressed so far, though I agree about "She Who Must Not Be Named". I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that; never expected such a rip-off (and a cheesy one at that) from an author like Donaldson. But I loved the confrontation in the Lost Deep against Roger and the croyel.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Re: AATE First Impressions

Post by aliantha »

dlbpharmd wrote:Now we get Mrs. Voldemort? Are you kidding me?
Hey now. Certain members of my immediate family would kill to be known as "Mrs. Voldemort". (There's only so much a parent can do... :roll:)

I heard somewhere that the term "He/she Who Must Not Be Named" was used well before JK Rowling picked it up. Can't confirm that now, tho.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Madadeva
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Madadeva »

Yeah - someone pointed out in another post. HP Lovecraft
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Well, as I've txted to three of you (sorry, largo :lol:), I'd like to know why Elena was sacrificed to What's Her Name. I've only read the spoilers here, but I guess it doesn't say in the book, eh?
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Madadeva
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Madadeva »

because the dead of Anele thought it'd help Covenant and his crew escape if SWMNBN was occupied munching on dead Elena (she must taste ... er ... musty!)

Edit: BTW, downloaded my iPad version - my Amazon version delivered - and of course I did by the ARC. I will support SRD's revenue no matter who ridiculously EMO I think he has made Linden!

I would challenge even the most ardent Linden lover to be impressed with her performance at the end of this one! lol She whines more than Bahkti at his worse!!! (in joke guys!)

[But I did kinda root for Jerimiah!]
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

:LOLS: :haha:
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I think Sunder & Hollian knew exactly what they were doing when they sent Elena into SWMNBN (and yeah, okay, I wish he'd picked a different name for her, too...). SRD makes such a big deal about the fact that nobody's forgiven Elena -- and say what you will about that manhug, Fist :P , it was juxtaposed against Elena's wailing for a reason (which you would KNOW ABOUT if you would just READ the book YOURSELF already, instead of texting the hell out of the rest of us :P :P :lol: ). He makes it all about *Linden* not forgiving Elena, there in Andelain, but there's more to it -- nobody else there is rushing to forgive her, either. I would hazard a guess that Elena will redeem herself by working on SWMNBN to lift Kevin's Dirt.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I would hazard a guess that Elena will redeem herself by working on SWMNBN to lift Kevin's Dirt.
I can see that happening.

I've just finished the part where Jeremiah gets his mind back. My iPad is down to 1% charge left so it's time to get some sleep.
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

aliantha wrote: I would hazard a guess that Elena will redeem herself by working on SWMNBN to lift Kevin's Dirt.
Nice theory. I hadn't thought of that. I dunno whether I think that's going to happen but it's got me thinking.... :)

Oh, and my abbreviation for She Who May Not Be Named has always been SHE...

...but, hey, you could go with dlb and just call her "Mrs Voldemort" ;)
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Seareach wrote:Oh, and my abbreviation for She Who May Not Be Named has always been SHE...

...but, hey, you could go with dlb and just call her "Mrs Voldemort" ;)
No no, that's what I'm saying. Mrs. Voldy is Batty. :roll: She even shaved her head in order to dress up as Voldemort for some convention. One of her e-mail addresses starts with "ladymarvolo". I'm telling ya, *my* genetic material cannot possibly be responsible for this!

I like SHE. Easier than trying to keep track of all the initials while typing out the acronym! :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

aliantha wrote:which you would KNOW ABOUT if you would just READ the book YOURSELF already, instead of texting the hell out of the rest of us :P :P :lol:
Alas, I have too much integrity and self-respect for that. :biggrin:

aliantha wrote:He makes it all about *Linden* not forgiving Elena
Makes sense. It is all about Linden, after all. She wasn't around to know Elena. She only saw her as a shade for five minutes in the 2nd Chrons. But SRD wants all to be seen and judged by her. It's looking more and more like What's Her Name is a future Linden, or something along those lines.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
inablackout
Servant of the Land

Post by inablackout »

put "spoiler" in your topic line!!
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

inablackout wrote:put "spoiler" in your topic line!!
No need to do so. See kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19975
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

And you know what else? He uses magic in these books! How dare he use magic when Harry Potter uses magic! And how dare the Harrow, who has transported instantaneously before and said he can transport people instantaneously do so! He should have made them walk!
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

The fact that She must not be named will come into play I think. After all, when Covenant asks He Who Should Not Exist As He Adds Nothing To The Story Whatsoever (otherwise known as HWSNEAHANTTSW, or Esmer) to tell Her who She really is, HWSNEAHANTTSW refuses. Which means that the name must have some sort of power, either for her or over her, and suggests that Her true name isn't one that the characters already know - so not Diassomer Mininderain, Emereau Vrai or the Auriference.

Funnily enough, Diassomer Mininderain doesn't appear in the Glossary.
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Esmer was, at least, a predictable consequence of Cail's decision to go to the merewives. I can tolerate Esmer. I can't tolerate Mrs. Voldemort (or, as Revan called her, Voldemortina.)
Aranion
Stonedownor

Post by Aranion »

While I'm not a huge fan of the ungainly name, I didn't find SWMNBN "wrong" or a bad addition; indeed, we've been reading about virulent banes buried deep in the Earth since the first Chronicles, and AATE is explicit in that She isn't something that comes into play because She choose "sleep" over active villainy, ala Foul.

And it's clear, from the text and the GI, that Foul is "absent" because he's using proxies to protect both himself and his plans. It's not like we saw Foul a lot in the earlier Chronicles, either; pretty much the pattern we saw was brief appearance in first book, then no direct presence or encounters until the finale/climax of the series.

I'm still not sure how I feel about AATE - it seems alternately very "talky" and then all-out action, without much in between - but I think I can understand why SRD is pulling in all the elements he has.
"There is nothing beautiful or sweet or great in life that is not mysterious."

--Francois Rene de Chateaubriand
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

variol son wrote:The fact that She must not be named will come into play I think. After all, when Covenant asks He Who Should Not Exist As He Adds Nothing To The Story Whatsoever (otherwise known as HWSNEAHANTTSW, or Esmer) to tell Her who She really is, HWSNEAHANTTSW refuses. Which means that the name must have some sort of power, either for her or over her, and suggests that Her true name isn't one that the characters already know - so not Diassomer Mininderain, Emereau Vrai or the Auriference.

Funnily enough, Diassomer Mininderain doesn't appear in the Glossary.

Anybody with an ex-wife can tell you what the true name is. :hairs:

and She is in the Glossary with Diassomer Mininderain absent..

But it did say that the She may be the basis for the Diassomer Mininderain story.

And I can't forgive Linden, for not forgiving Elena.(Really it's SRD but..) That part in the Lost Deep I found the most disturbing event of all the Chronicles.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

SHE kinda reminds me of Burn in the Malazan books, to tell you the truth. Except that Burn doesn't seem to be malevolent....

EZ Board Survivor

Return to “Against All Things Ending”