Will Covenant films ever be made?

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Furls Fire wrote:I've said it before, and I'll say it again...

With out the books, there would be no story, hence, no movie.

I'm against this being made into a movie, for the simple fact that it is completely character driven. The movie would lose everything that makes Covenant, Covenant. All his thought processes as he journeys the Land, his ire, his awe, his joy, his bitterness, all of it...would be compromised.
On balance, I agree with that appraisal
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

The story is too potent to be translated precisely on screen, but just because of its potency, even if it's one of the worst produced sci-fi movies of all time, a few of Donaldson's gems couldn't help but shine. And if just even a bit of the message could reach the masses that haven't read the books, I say do it.

Like I've said before, though, my biggest objection to it being a movie is that I coudn't see any way of expressing earthsight... other than maybe dosing the theatre popcorn with LSD.

Mmmmm, popcorn.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

So that's what's in our water! 8O :| (take that! Zeph! :D )
fall far and well Pilots!
mhorgel
Servant of the Land

Post by mhorgel »

The rape scene should not be that much of a problem. Lena says that you cannot take what is freely given, essentially stating that the sex was consensual. The "rape" was mostly in Covenant's own mind.

Yes, the Chronicles were character driven, but one of the most important characters is the land, and that could be depicted very well. I think that a good actor could easily portray Covenant's inner turmoil. That's what actors do.

I would love to see a movie made of TCOTC, though it will never happen, as it would not be economically viable, as Donaldson's cult following is not nearly as big as Tolkien's
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

edit
Last edited by matrixman on Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
UrLord
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by UrLord »

I still think the movie should be made, even if it doesn't really capture the essence of the Chronicles...as long as it doesn't totally screw over the essence...say, make Covenant into some kind of brooding Superman...

If it can make a bunch of Unbelievers into fans of the movie, and if some of them decide to try the books...isn't it all worthwhile? I, for one, would be able to enjoy the movie even if it didn't have 1/100 of the depth of the books. I'd love to see things like Mhoram vs the Giant-Raver, the siege of Revelstone, or Elemesnedene on the big screen. Even if I can't enjoy the movie in the same way as I enjoy the books, I could still enjoy it the way I enjoyed...the Matrix. Or LotR.
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

mhorgel wrote:
Lena says that you cannot take what is freely given, essentially stating that the sex was consensual. The "rape" was mostly in Covenant's own mind.
That was High Lord Elena, daughter of Lena, child of the rape. :D
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
Baradakas
Lord

Post by Baradakas »

Oh please god, not a movie! There isnt a director on this green earth who could represent the Covenant conflict! Let's keep em as books, love em as books, and truly appreciate them as books. Anything else is sacrilege.

-B
"Fortunate circumstances do not equate to high ideals."

"Mostly muffins sir."- My answer in response to the question posed by the officer, "Son, do you have anything on you I should know about?"

His response: "Holy $&!^. He's not kidding! Look at all these muffins!"

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”