Worm food?

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

Fuzzy_Logic
Woodhelvennin

Post by Fuzzy_Logic »

Revan wrote:maybe thats how Foul finally gets finished - he catches a full blow gaseous bomb from the Worm's behind - he gets blown out the cosmos. i wander if kassy speaks in a Mexican voice.
Hurray for rascism!

What Rigel said--I think each elohim is a star, so if the stars are winking out, the worm is currently eating them one by one. It's coming to the land now because there are some elohim hiding here. Kastenessen, of course, but also Infelice and others. (Maybe even Colossus and Findail).
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

Fuzzy_Logic wrote:
Revan wrote:maybe thats how Foul finally gets finished - he catches a full blow gaseous bomb from the Worm's behind - he gets blown out the cosmos. i wander if kassy speaks in a Mexican voice.
Hurray for rascism!
Sorry, Mexico is a country not a race. But thanks for playing! :D
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
Fuzzy_Logic
Woodhelvennin

Post by Fuzzy_Logic »

TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:
Sorry, Mexico is a country not a race. But thanks for playing! :D
Yeah, because everyone loves to hate on WHITE Mexican citizens.

:roll:
Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

Very often constructs in the TC books are for one purpose only, then vanish after their purpose is done. For example, the ur-Vile manacles they clapped on Esmer.

Jeremiah's bone construct is similiar. It had one purpose, and one purpose only, and that was to allow him to escape his catatonia and fugue-like mental state. Infelice desperately tried to prevent this, and failed.

Once Jeremiah's mind was made whole, the construct disintegrated and fell to ash. It's gone and has nothing to do with the Elohim or the Worm.
ur-Timewarden
Stonedownor

Post by ur-Timewarden »

If the sun winks out of existence or is somehow obfuscated and the stars are gone for whatever reason, could this be The Last Dark? And if so, will the whole last book take place in the dark (or a very, very gray sky)?
Nothing tears a family apart like a pack of wolves.
Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

ur-Timewarden wrote:If the sun winks out of existence or is somehow obfuscated and the stars are gone for whatever reason, could this be The Last Dark? And if so, will the whole last book take place in the dark (or a very, very gray sky)?
Probably. I'm 90% certain that the Earth is toast, btw.
ur-Timewarden
Stonedownor

Post by ur-Timewarden »

Horrim Carabal wrote:Probably. I'm 90% certain that the Earth is toast, btw.
Those are my feelings as well. Maybe ending on a positive note by having the Creator offer Linden, Thomas, and Jeremiah some sort of caretaker role for one or more of his other creations, but the Land will be gone (but not forgotten).
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

Ur-Timewarden wrote:
the Land will be gone (but not forgotten).
Oh Andelain, forgive! :Hail:
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser
ur-Timewarden
Stonedownor

Post by ur-Timewarden »

I was a little taken aback after reading the first few chapters and finding out that the Worm was a real entity. Guess I shouldn't have been as shocked as I was, especially with the events of TOT, and the sinking of the Isle of the One Tree.

Even with all of that, I had always assumed that the Worm was more of a mystical entity or belief, especially with all the Wurm, Wurd, Weird, Wyrm, Worm stuff that was thrown around in the books.

So now that the Worm is actually a worm, what does it represent? Why would the Earth have a giant worm that needs to stay asleep, and has a group of similar mystical beings whose whole purpose is to keep it asleep? There are the obvious Norse mythology parallels, so if that's the case, does the Worm represent chaos and the end of all things?

I'm wondering if we'll ever get to see the Worm in action, or if all of its activities will occur "off-screen"?
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

ur-Timewarden wrote: I'm wondering if we'll ever get to see the Worm in action, or if all of its activities will occur "off-screen"?
I predict we're gonna see it up-close, and personal.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
ur-Timewarden
Stonedownor

Post by ur-Timewarden »

Vraith wrote:I predict we're gonna see it up-close, and personal.
If that's the case, and the Land is toast as a lot of people are predicting, this is going to be one really interesting last book. There are so many threads to tie up, it seems like it's going to be a wild ride.

Just off the top of my head:

- Kastenessen, skurj, Roger, cavewights (probably big Mt. Thunder battle)
- Worm, Elohim (if any are left), Earthblood
- Longwrath, his sword, and the Sandgorgons
- Foul and the Ravers
- The Creator (do we get to meet him at the end?)

Don't want to wait 3 years, but I don't think I have a choice... :)
Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

ur-Timewarden wrote:it seems like it's going to be a wild ride.

- Foul and the Ravers
It's interesting to note, from Foul's perspective, he's already won. The Worm is awake, and Linden was the one who woke it. Every word of prophecy spoken by LF came true.

All he has to do now is wait out the final acts. He's just having fun, probably trying to cause as much abject misery as he can before the end.

And he has no fear of the Worm, it can't hurt him.
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Two things about the Worm:

1) We don't know that it's an actual Worm. It IS an actual entity, but we don't know it's shape or form. Personally, I'm thinking a Dragon would be cool, but knowing Donaldson... it might just as easily be an old man in a robe. Since ochre and veridian are already taken, maybe he could go with puce?

2) It might be able to hurt Foul... it's an Eternal being, from outside the AoT, and I recall a comment from Donaldson where he stated that Foul didn't wake it up because he was afraid of being eaten ;)
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

Rigel wrote:Two things about the Worm:

1) We don't know that it's an actual Worm. It IS an actual entity, but we don't know it's shape or form. Personally, I'm thinking a Dragon would be cool, but knowing Donaldson... it might just as easily be an old man in a robe. Since ochre and veridian are already taken, maybe he could go with puce?

2) It might be able to hurt Foul... it's an Eternal being, from outside the AoT, and I recall a comment from Donaldson where he stated that Foul didn't wake it up because he was afraid of being eaten ;)
Yes on 2), however, the magic of retconning has taken care of that uncomfortable detail, unless Foul has an escape plan from the Worm.
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

Rigel wrote: 2) It might be able to hurt Foul... it's an Eternal being, from outside the AoT, and I recall a comment from Donaldson where he stated that Foul didn't wake it up because he was afraid of being eaten ;)
Yes on 2), however, the magic of retconning has taken care of that uncomfortable detail, unless Foul has an escape plan from the Worm.
Yeah I suppose that's been changed...hrmm..
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Horrim Carabal wrote:
Rigel wrote: 2) It might be able to hurt Foul... it's an Eternal being, from outside the AoT, and I recall a comment from Donaldson where he stated that Foul didn't wake it up because he was afraid of being eaten ;)
Yeah I suppose that's been changed...hrmm..
Perhaps it is named Jeremiah?
I sure know what I'd do if there were a wild animal loose, and I knew a trap/cage builder.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Endymion9
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Endymion9 »

ur-Timewarden wrote:If the sun winks out of existence or is somehow obfuscated and the stars are gone for whatever reason, could this be The Last Dark? And if so, will the whole last book take place in the dark (or a very, very gray sky)?
Maybe the entire last book will consist of solid black pages, no print. <grin>
~I was born to rock the boat. Some will sink but we will float. Grab your coat. Let's get out of here. You're my witness. I'm your Mutineer~ - Warren Zevon
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Horrim Carabal wrote:
ur-Timewarden wrote:it seems like it's going to be a wild ride.

- Foul and the Ravers
It's interesting to note, from Foul's perspective, he's already won. The Worm is awake, and Linden was the one who woke it. Every word of prophecy spoken by LF came true.

All he has to do now is wait out the final acts. He's just having fun, probably trying to cause as much abject misery as he can before the end.

And he has no fear of the Worm, it can't hurt him.
His prophecy was fulfilled in the 2nd Chrons, too. But TC still dealt to him. Foul seems to have trouble seeing past his own foresight.
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

ur-Timewarden wrote:So now that the Worm is actually a worm, what does it represent? Why would the Earth have a giant worm that needs to stay asleep, and has a group of similar mystical beings whose whole purpose is to keep it asleep? There are the obvious Norse mythology parallels, so if that's the case, does the Worm represent chaos and the end of all things?
Worms are a standard metaphor for death, decay, rot. Infelice makes this connection pretty explicit by saying that the Worm is the Earth's necessary means of destruction, that all natural, living things must have the means of their end within them. The Worm is the metaphor for the inescapable fact of mortality and entropy. Death and decay. We can create local pockets of decreased entropy, just like we can foster growth and renewal (which is represented by the Worm sleeping), but it has to wake up sometime.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

With the characters stumbling around like blind worms with a bad case of Scoleciphiobia...
fall far and well Pilots!

Return to “Against All Things Ending”