Full Dark, No Stars

The Dark Tower and other works of Stephen King.

Moderator: lucimay

Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Full Dark, No Stars

Post by Mr. Broken »

Yet another collection of novellas, that seem very familliar. Ive grown tired of Kings self-cannibalistic style, and have cancelled my membership to the club. Not because of this book alone, this has been a long time coming. They werent bad stories but they give me the feeling that he had written them, and I had read them all before. He just came up with new names, and settings, for stories that he had already penned. If youve never read any of his older stuff you will probably like them just fine, unfotunately I didnt.
Wide Eyed Stupid
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

I used to read ever SK book the instant it came out. And I was never disappointed. Then after about Insomnia, it really started going downhill. I just can't bring myself to read him any more :(
Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

Akasri wrote:I used to read ever SK book the instant it came out. And I was never disappointed. Then after about Insomnia, it really started going downhill. I just can't bring myself to read him any more :(
It was the accident. I know it's a cliche, but it's true. Before that, he had a high standard and a high percentage of his work was excellent.

After the accident, he's been more hit-and-miss. I really think that Stephen King became aware of his own mortality and it has affected his writing (or maybe his standards).

He still produces good work. I think Full Dark, No Stars is good. Duma Key was good. Blockade Billy was good.

Then there is the bad stuff. Under the Dome, Cell, Dark Tower 7. Awful clunkers.

My favorite King book is It...but I think he reached his peak around the time of Dark Tower 3. But things definitely took a downward slide with the accident.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

I don't know...even early on he was occasionally recycling some ideas.
But how big/creative can one brain BE? Last I looked he had published almost 200 works, and almost half of them were novels...I only read his books now when they show up in a library and I have nothing else...but still, MAN, that's a lot of words, and a fair number of really cool ideas.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I'll argue that Duma Key is as good as anything else he's written.

But yes, the overall quality of King's work has deteriorated since the accident.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

Cail wrote:I'll argue that Duma Key is as good as anything else he's written.

But yes, the overall quality of King's work has deteriorated since the accident.
Yes Duma Key was a return to form...then came Under the Dome. :(
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

i find that I like some of his stuff more than others - same as it always was.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Personally, I thought Cell was pretty good. The one that came out around the same time, not so much. (Can't even remember its name.)

Haven't liked much by him since before Bag of Bones. DT7, I liked though. A few low points, but on the whole it grew on me.

--A
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Avatar wrote:Personally, I thought Cell was pretty good. The one that came out around the same time, not so much. (Can't even remember its name.)

Haven't liked much by him since before Bag of Bones. DT7, I liked though. A few low points, but on the whole it grew on me.

--A
Lisey's Story?
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley

Return to “Stephen King Forum”