What, no thread about the NPR debacle?

Archive From The 'Tank
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Kinslaughterer wrote:Probably worth mentioning

www.npr.org/2011/03/14/134525412/Segmen ... Of-Context

I heard that the editing was done to bring over two hours down to 45 minutes and it was pretty standard editing job.
He also publicly released the two hour video for anyone who wanted it.
So NPR implying that there's some kind of deception going on is laughable.

I listen to NPR a lot. I'm a talk radio junkie. I used to call it Gitmo Radio, every day (literally every day!) they'd have a story about how awful it and America was but guess what? After Obama got elected..............no longer a story.

Apparently their new bogeyman is nuclear power.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Hey, liberal boogeyman. You got something on your shirt.

Said liberal falls for it again, and doesn't wait for the dust to settle before proceeding with great haste to find a sword to fall upon.

Grow some already, people. Oh, did I make what could speciously be construed as misogynistic remark? Well, I guess I will have to quit the Watch.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
High Lord Tolkien

Syl wrote:Hey, liberal boogeyman. You got something on your shirt.

Said liberal falls for it again, and doesn't wait for the dust to settle before proceeding with great haste to find a sword to fall upon.

Grow some already, people. Oh, did I make what could speciously be construed as misogynistic remark? Well, I guess I will have to quit the Watch.
:lol: ......I have no idea what you're trying to say.

Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Kinslaughterer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kinslaughterer »

HLT, Did you read the article? This was an AP story that, shockingly, isn't getting any other play. It was edited from 2 hours to under 12 minutes.
"We do not follow maps to buried treasure, and remember:X never, ever, marks the spot."
- Professor Henry Jones Jr.

"Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet."

https://crowcanyon.org/
support your local archaeologist!
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

And to think I gave O'keefe kudos for moving from lying scum to simple scum. /sigh. He's only halfway reformed.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Gadget nee Jemcheeta
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gadget nee Jemcheeta »

This was a fundraiser, not a journalist. NPR kept me intellectually stimulated when I didn't have anything else to. If it wasn't for NPR I would never have gone back to college. It's one of the only things I feel good about when I pay my taxes.
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Kins and JemCheeta in a single thread? :D Nice to see you guys around.

--A
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Williams: Now it's time to defund NPR
Even after they fired me, called me a bigot and publicly advised me to only share my thoughts with a psychiatrist, I did not call for defunding NPR. I am a journalist and NPR is an important platform for journalism.

But last week my line of defense for NPR ran into harsh political realities. Rep. Steve Israel (D- N.Y.) chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee sent out a fundraising letter with the following argument for maintaining public funding of NPR:

“They [Republicans] know NPR plays a vital role in providing quality news programming – from rural radio stations to in-depth coverage of foreign affairs. If the Republicans had their way, we’d only be left with the likes of Glenn Beck, Limbaugh and Sarah Palin to dominate the airwaves.”

With that statement Congressman Israel made the case better than any Republican critic that NPR is radio by and for liberal Democrats. He is openly asking liberal Democrats to give money to liberal Democrats in Congress so they can funnel federal dollars into news radio programs designed to counter and defeat conservative Republican voices.

Rep. Israel has unintentionally endorsed every conservative complaint about NPR as a liberal mouthpiece. And to me, as a journalist, it is also a statement of why NPR’s troubled management team has turned its fundraising efforts into a weapon to be used against its essential product – top quality, balanced reporting. No journalist should have to work with one finger in the political winds, anxiously waiting to see if Democrats continue to be pleased with what they hear on NPR as a counter to what they don’t like hearing from Rush Limbaugh.

But, wait, there may be one better argument for ending federal funding of NPR.

NPR’s top fundraiser, Ron Schiller, was caught on tape recently saying explicitly that “in the long run…[NPR is] better off without federal funding.”

In fact, Rep. Israel might have added spice to his fundraising appeal directed at liberal Democrats by quoting Schiller’s praise of liberal Democrats. “In my personal opinion,” Schiller says on the tape, “liberals today might be more educated, fair and balanced than conservatives.”

Betsy Liley, the director of institutional giving at NPR, is also heard on the tape saying that liberal billionaire George Soros has made it his business to subsidize NPR with as little fanfare as possible – that is to say to do it secretly.

Liley’s revealing comment and Schiller’s arrogance are instructive because they provide a window in to the culture of elitism that has corroded NPR’s leadership. They're willing to do anything in service of any liberal with money. This includes firing me and skewing the editorial content of their programming. If anyone challenges them on this point, they will claim with self-righteous indignation to have cleaner hands than the rest of the news media who accepts advertising revenue or expresses a point of view.

I'm not just talking about conservatives but also the far left, the poor – anybody who didn't fit into leadership's marketing design of NPR as the elitist voice of comfortable, liberal-leaning, highly educated, upper-income America.

As Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa, it was not until he saw the secretly recorded videotape of NPR executives that he understood the extent of political bias at NPR. “Of all the data that we’ve seen, we still had not absorbed the culture of NPR until we saw the video of that dinner.” House Majority Leader Eric Cantor added: “Why should we allow taxpayer dollars to be used to advocate one ideology?”

That dinner tape and the Democrat’s fundraising letter set the table for a totally partisan vote with Republicans voting in opposition to public funding of NPR and Democrats voting for it. Last Thursday, 228 Republicans voted to defund NPR while seven Republicans joined with 185 Democrats to preserve it. The effort was largely symbolic as there is hardly any chance the Democrat-controlled Senate will go along with the House on this one. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nevada) is a huge NPR fan. When I was host of NPR’s afternoon talk show he once called me up to tell me how much he enjoyed an interview with soul singer Al Green. Sen. Reid is going to defend public radio.

The Democrat in the White House, President Obama, issued a statement of opposition to the House vote but stopped short of promising to veto any budget that eliminates NPR funding. And the White House did not make the case for why NPR deserves funding.

Before NPR’s top executive, Vivian Schiller, resigned her goal for NPR was to increase federal support to create an American version of the British Broadcasting Corporation [BBC]. The BBC, which also began as a radio news service, is funded by a mandatory licensing fee paid by all British subjects. It is essentially a tax set by Parliament every year to support a national news operation.

At the moment the government funding for NPR is only one of many sources of revenue and a very small one in the grand scheme. Arguably, the appropriators of federal dollars are more important to the local affiliates who depend on that money to buy public broadcasting programming. To my mind, this is the underlying problem that connects the hidden camera episode and the funding issue.

Journalists should not be doing news to please any donors – private citizens, political parties or government officials – out of fear of losing funding.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Why the hell is the government in the media business to begin with?? There is absolutely no Constitutional justification for our federal government providing us with news. I can't believe any sane, rational, educated person with an accurate grasp of history would want their government involved in providing them with news. Do they really believe that a news organization which depends upon politicians for its funding will be able to provide a truly unbiased watchdog role for those same politicians who are throwing their political weight behind such funding? Yeah, right. The fundraising letter from Rep. Steve Israel (D- N.Y.) reveals how incestuous this relationship between government and media really is. Using public funds to provide citizens with "journalism" that is viewed as a counter to opposition media voices (Republican voices, in this case) is the obvious manifestation of the very danger which is inherent in a partnership between government and media. This has got to stop. I can't believe any fair-minded person supports such corruption.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

The only reason for government or a political party to back a media outlet is this: to spread misinformation, commonly called propoganda.

A government-backed media outlet being a beacon of truth is as believable as some organization stating that they will police themselves and not abuse power. Wrong. Eventually, every organization abuses its power; this is built in to human psychology.

Any government-backed media outlet might as well call itself what it is: the Ministry of Truth.

The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Pretty much agree.

--A
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

HL,

Then why are NPR, PBS, and the BBC quality sources of news and information?
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

The BBC I can see as a quality source of news.

NPR and PBS? Unfortunately, they both fall off the left-hand side of the spectrum.

Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Hashi Lebwohl,

NPR and PBS? Unfortunately, they both fall off the left-hand side of the spectrum.

Care to go a little deeper with that detailed analysis?
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Lord Mhoram wrote:Care to go a little deeper with that detailed analysis?
No, not really. You may decide for yourself whether to agree or disagree.

Rawedge Rim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rawedge Rim »

Lord Mhoram wrote:Hashi Lebwohl,

Care to go a little deeper with that detailed analysis?
I'll go with PBS and NPR's straight "news reporting" to be a quality news source; it's just about everything outside of that one area that is "Left Wing".
“One accurate measurement is worth a
thousand expert opinions.”
- Adm. Grace Hopper

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
High Lord Tolkien

Great example last night of how NPR is full of shit: the recent rocket exchange between Israel and Palestine.
I had been following the news from various online blogs and AP articles so I knew the story pretty well.

NPR focused primarily on the civilian casualties of Israels rocket attack.
Never mentioned that it was in retaliation to an earlier Hamas attack or that the second Israeli rocket was preemptive to stop another rocket from going off into Israel.
Or that Hamas likes to fire rockets from populated areas on purpose so civilians gets hurt by return fire.
Not once!
And it was a 5 minutes segment, not a 30 second blurb. Plenty of time to cover both sides.
NPR is only good for non political science stuff and non-serious world news like bike racing or yachting.

De-fund NPR.

Image Image Image Image

Return to “Coercri”