Vampire: Dark Ages - OOC Discussion

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Okay, I'm a bad bad GM. I can't even claim that I was busy with school this time. I just didn't have my head in the game, so I couldn't figure out what all the NPCs would be doing. I did make several new friends in real-life, though. Some of them cooked me Spätzle, as well. How dope is that?

Giovanni
Alina: 1xp
Gedeminas: 1xp
Olaf: 1xp
Sabine: 1xp
Seska: 1xp
Taduz: 1xp

Vienna
Casper: 1xp
Ekaterina: 1xp
Faelan: 1xp
Kaldrenzi: 1xp
Lament: 1xp
Lucretia: 1xp
Sasha: 1xp
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

So... I think I figured out why I lost my momentum. Looking over the Vienna threads... it looks like Casper's ball is about wrapped up. The East Gate fight is wrapped up. Lament is done with her conversation (and studying in RL). Lucretia is studying IC for a little while as well. And the Giovanni thread is about to hit sunrise. Which means that in almost all cases, there's going to be a big block of time where I have to process some NPC actions and then fast-forward until the players can participate again. Those lucky enough not to be driven to slumber by the sun can work with me on the side to fill the time (they still need some sleep in there, it's just not set by the sun's schedule).

So, for all vampires in Vienna, there's still darkness left to be doing things. If anybody wants to do anything else (talk to other NPCs, etc.) feel free to let me know via post or PM. Otherwise, Wednesday morning in Real Life will bring the next sundown and some new activities. (Between now and then, I'll decide if maybe it'll be several days hence instead. That could depend on what players want to do in the mean time.)

As a side note, the Vampire House Rules thread in the rules forum now has a new post about lunar phases. More and more stuff was causing me to care what the phase was, so I worked out all the details. From here on, I'll try to include the exact date, lunar phase, and maybe something about the weather. At least at the beginning of every evening, though perhaps I'll just throw that into the front of all my posts. If I get to the point where I'm including a timestamp with every post... I've instructed Sabine to come smack me upside the head a couple times. She was maybe a little too eager to agree to that. I'm afraid.

This might also be a good time for people to spend xp, if they feel like it.

And finally... I'd like to request that when your character takes no action (i.e. - you're waiting for something more interesting to happen before you speak, etc.), it helps me to know if you can post something to that effect. Otherwise, the lack of a post is interpreted as "player hasn't gotten around to posting yet" instead of "character chooses to do nothing". This is mostly directed at Olaf, but in a few cases others of you have done this. (Not that this has anything to do with my own slack this past week... just thinking of other reasons in the past that I've sometimes had lulls.) Posts of no action will more clearly put things in my court, giving me fewer excuses not to post myself. Capisci?
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Okay, latest set of threads in Vienna exist now. I have plot stuff going on, but I encourage you all to go out there and seek it out. It works out a little less clumsy if I don't have to drop things in people's laps.

The Giovanni arc is not quite wrapped up with April 10th, but I think we're just about there. After this, there's nothing specific I need to be doing until a week hence, when everyone will go visit Japheth again. If there's anything you want to do, send me a PM and I'll set it up for you. Otherwise, we may just fast forward to that stage, just so I don't spend a month in real-life asking everyone to comment on what they want to today, and tomorrow, etc.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Giovanni

Vienna
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

So, not that the details of WHY matter, but I thought I'd let people know that most of the images are going to be broken until sometime tomorrow. I've finally gotten an easy way to keep all my stuff (data, etc.) synced between my Mac fileserver, which is also what hosts my website where I put all the NPC / map images, and my Mac laptop, which is where I do most of my work. But, to make that process work easier, I had to move all the picture files (which will change over time as I pull new stuff down from DeviantArt) into one folder structure. This leaves all the rule books in a new structure as well, so if any of you need to access those, let me know and I'll shoot you the new URL. This set of files should stay the same over time... it'll be fairly rare that I acquire new books, especially since we're in the Out Of Print versions of Vampire, Demon, and D&D.

Anywhere, I'm having to do a bulk copy for all that stuff, just once. So I won't be able to fix all the links until that copy is done. And I'm going to bed now. But rest not, the images in the game pages will get fixed sometime tomorrow.
Gedeminas
Ramen

Post by Gedeminas »

Sorry for saying this publically, in case I'm wrong, but...

Storyteller, there are two PM's I sent you a week ago now, and one I sent two days ago asking if you ever got them, and none of them have ever been read, despite the number of times you posted to the game thread in that time. Did you ever get them?

And how else should I contact you if you aren't getting my PM's?
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Ged, sorry for the confusion. It's been a little busier with school the last couple weeks, so I've been popping on for a few minutes here or there and sometimes posting to the other games I'm in. (I don't really need to do a lot of deep consideration when I post as Led... he's pretty straightforward.) But I've been kind of avoiding the DA threads, since there's more I have to consider. I didn't feel I could devote enough time to them at once to avoid big mistakes that I'd have to clean up later. In the same light, I haven't opened the PMs until I thought I had a chance to really dive into them.

Plus, Yann Tiersen was in town last night, and I had to take Ore-Sama to hear him. (Was a great show, but we couldn't even get into the same room as the musicians. We just grabbed an empty table around the corner from the balcony, and listened to the music. Like most clubs, they had the volume jacked up so high that sitting around the corner still gave us a perfectly fine [maybe even better] listening experience, without having to peek over people's heads.)

The best way to reach me is by posting in the OOC thread, or via PM if it's super-secret sneaky stuff. I'll get to it when I think I have the bandwidth.

And, on that note, I've had most of the afternoon available to get back to my updates. I did a few of the easier threads already, poked Ore-Sama and Olaf to get some posts in as well, and then spent a really long time fixing the images that I broke. (I added some to the few threads that didn't have flavor images up front, as well.)

For the rest of the day, I'll be reading Ged's PMs, responding to them, doing Experience, and finish up posts in any threads where I can. After that, I wouldn't expect to see much out of me in DA for most of next week. I might be able to jump on here, but I can't guarantee it. Got a presentation due on Friday night, and then a final project on Sunday night. If I finish those early, I'll get back to posting.

Giovanni

Vienna

In other news, has anybody heard from Faelan? He hasn't posted since late January.

GM EDIT: So, based on some thoughts while replying to Ged's PMs, I think I'd like to suggest a small change to our posting etiquette. Based on the variable nature of my ability to consistently post, and the fact that Vampire by its nature promotes a culture of being sneaky from the other players, I can see that there's a legitimate concern from player's points of view about whether or not I've received / read your PMs. It just so happens that several of the players also have my IM accounts and chat with me that way, sort of bypassing the asynchronous nature of the PM paradigm.

So, what I'd like to suggest is that, at the risk of giving away too much information publicly, if a player chooses to send me something via PM, that player should also post in the IC thread saying something to the effect of "Goat, please check your PM." The nuance of meaning here is that by doing this you're basically saying that the public story cannot proceed until your PM has been read and integrated into my brain.

For my part, when I'm going back through and reading the previous posts (especially in the Giovanni thread, where there are so many players all acting in the same scenes), I'll see the comment about the PM. And in my next post, I'll put a comment of my own acknowledging that I've read the PM.

I like to believe that when there are PMs for me, I'll actually hold off on updating the threads until I've made sure I've addressed the issues in that PM. It's possible I've missed that a few times, and for that I'm sorry. Hopefully, this little protocol will insure everybody that, though I may not get to your PM as quickly as you'd like, I at least don't skip over your concern... and when I do have more time to sit down and do things right, I'll make sure to get the PM before I do any public posts.

Sound good?

On another front, I'm noticing that I'm having a lot of side conversations with people, especially over Instant Messenger, for those who have my info, where we discuss nuances of rules: "how does <blah> apply to <this situation>?", or "can I invent a high-level discipline to do <blah>?" And that part's fine, but what I'm failing at is taking my final decisions and making them permanent by writing these into the rules threads. So, a reminder to both myself and all of you: if it's not in the rules thread, it's not locked in. If I do agree with you about some ruling or power, but then I forget to put it into the rules, it's possible that some other decision later might conflict with that. I'll try to be good about updating rules when I make decisions, but it's also on all of you... if we have a talk, you're more likely to get that ruling locked in if you follow up with me about editing the rules. Sending me a PM with the specific changes / additions is a really good bet. For entirely new powers especially, I'll have to insist on a PM with the full details of the power, because IM chat logs are such a pain to dig through later.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Experience

Giovanni

Vienna

Okay folks, I'm done with the quarter. Think I did really well in one class, with a group presentation. The other class, with the solo project, I did less well in. But, I think I did good enough, so I'm not gonna stress over it. I start class up again on April 1st. I'll be out of town this weekend, catching a few shows. But before then, I'll try to get caught up on here.

And, welcome back Faelan.
Corrozus
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Corrozus »

I still have 3 papers due and 4 final exams in the next 3-4 weeks. At that point I'm done with classes till september, but get to move halfway across the country this summer. It'll be fun! Honest. >.<
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Wait... you're in school... then you're going to move halfway across the country, and then continue going to school again? Different school, I hope?
Corrozus
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Corrozus »

Yea, I'm transferring from the University of Winnipeg in...Winnipeg (lol)...to the University of the Fraser Valley in Abbotsford, BC so I can move in with my boyfriend.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Oh, shiny. You'll be... just up the road from me. You know... a 4hr train trip, anyway. That way we can feel awkward about never meeting in person, instead of chalking it up to being thousands of miles apart.

Awesome.
Corrozus
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Corrozus »

That DOES sound awesome, especially since the boy's got friends in Vancouver, WA that we visit at least twice a year. :p
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

So, first of all... my dad lives down there. Part of the year, anyway. The rest of the year he lives in Tucson. And my sister lives just across the river in Portland. I try very hard to avoid the area as much as possible. Still, it's really pretty area. And I do miss the Multnomah Falls area.

Second of all, it's "Vancouver, USA", WA. They added the "USA" in some stupid attempt to distinguish themselves from the larger and more civilized Vancouver in B.C. It mostly makes them seem like anti-Canadian bigots, but whatever. (Yes, I spent a few years there in Middle School and High School. It was even slightly worse than the few years of High School I spent in California.)

Whaoh... that came out a lot more bitchy than I meant it to. In my head, I was just making snarking comments. I guess there's still some lingering bitterness going on there...
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Experience

Giovanni

Vienna
Gedeminas
Ramen

Post by Gedeminas »

Goatkiller666 wrote:o - Cappadocius
He's here? Really? Where?
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

He has not yet arrived, but he might show up. I put him into the legend just in case.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Experience

Giovanni

Vienna
Sabine
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Sabine »

Sabine buys Protean 6.
Gedeminas
Ramen

Post by Gedeminas »

Olaf_Magnusson wrote:1 for Ymir's Wrath
Clearly, Olaf had this power since character creation, but I've never heard of it. I thought we were supposed to transcribe any power we actually used, and it isn't on the site anywhere I can see, where did it come from? I can tell that it's balanced, but I like looking through all the books that feature useful powers so I can better decide which ones to take myself...

Return to “Vampire: Dark Ages”