Malazan Issues (Spoilers)

Malazan and other stuff.

Moderators: lucimay, Onos T'oolan

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Ah, ok. Wondered if he might have been somebody we'd met.

--A

Post by Avatar »

Gotta say I seem to find DoD quite difficult to digest...maybe it's all the Icarium stuff in the beginning that I found needlessly complicated, but this has been my 3rd read of it, and I feel I only now got to grips whith what was actually going on.

200 pages into TCG now, and it's getting better. Found the short jumps between viewpoints a bit confusing for the first 150 pages or so.

--A
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

I found DoD a little hard to read as well. I spent maybe a month and a half reading the first book of it, then I put it down for 8-10 months, then I managed to start over and get through the book. I liked it, but I definitely don't consider it the best in the series.
Roach trotted over to sniff at the gleaming phlegm, then licked it up.

The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Honestly, I think Erikson just lost track of a few things, and messed up. But it's not of any concern to me. If the series was a whole lot shorter, I'd probably keep better track of them, and post a lot about it. :lol: But the series is just so extraordinary that I'm entirely willing to pretend none of the mistakes are there. :D

Re DoD, yeah, it dragged a lot is some places. But we learn a seriously cool thing in TCG that makes it much better!
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul

Post by Avatar »

Say, Picker's torcs in DHG were ivory, not silver. :D

Ok, finished the series. Wow.

This time round, since DHG and Duiker's comments about the Roll of the Fallen, I've expected this to end up being the book of everybody who died.
Spoiler
Was not expecting it to be the book of the Crippled God.
Great books. Totally worth it.

--A

Malazan Issues (Spoilers)

Post by Avatar »

So, this is not an issue so much as an observation, but toward the end of MoI, which is where I am on the re-read now, Dujek and Whiskeyjack have a conversation before heading to Coral...it basically resolves the majority of "imperial tension" issues in the whole series, if you can just remember it across enough books. :D The first part I'd remembered (although not where it was mentioned), the rest I'd forgotten about.

1) All of the talking about how Laseen broke what was left of the old guard back down to the ranks, Whiskeyjack, Stormy & Gessler, most of the Bridgeburners...Dujeck reminds Whiskeyjack that "Lassen saw this coming...that's why she inverted the command structure. To make sure the right people were on the ground.

1a)Tayschrenn thought he was saving the Bridgeburners by ordering them to remai in the tunnels at Pale, thinking it would be the safest place.

2) Tayschrenn was grooming Tattersail to be the Master (Mistress) of the Deck. Because Paran was involved with her at the time, the remnants of that preparation affected him when Bellurdan killed Tattersail, making him the unintended candidate.

2 is interesting, but 1 is really worth keeping in mind.

--A

Return to “Steven Erikson Forum”