The Candidates are Coming [GOP]

Archive From The 'Tank
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Syl wrote:I'm sure Johnson can hang. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see Johnson swing a couple early primaries. His marijuana decriminalization platform may appeal to young voters, but I'm not sure if young female voters will shy away from Johnson or not. It's really a question of who he gets to spearhead his campaign, and whether or not he could build up enough momentum to penetrate beyond the tea party base. The only thing I'm uncertain about is where the primary thrust of his tax policy will be directed; will the middle class continue to get the shaft, or does Johnson have the balls to fill in some of the corporate tax loopholes?
:lol:
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Rawedge Rim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rawedge Rim »

Vraith wrote:
Cail wrote:
Avatar wrote:God forbid we should experience a little bipartisanship... :lol:
Jesus, I sure hope we don't. Both parties suck.
Heh...which is why I often say [anyone sick of reading it yet?] I wish we could disband political parties.
In a way, they really run like a mix of the worst qualities of a union and the board of a public corp.
might as well stand on the beach and command the tides to cease. Human nature creates a party structure in just about any government that comes up.
“One accurate measurement is worth a
thousand expert opinions.”
- Adm. Grace Hopper

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Rawedge Rim wrote:
Vraith wrote:
Cail wrote:Jesus, I sure hope we don't. Both parties suck.
Heh...which is why I often say [anyone sick of reading it yet?] I wish we could disband political parties.
In a way, they really run like a mix of the worst qualities of a union and the board of a public corp.
might as well stand on the beach and command the tides to cease. Human nature creates a party structure in just about any government that comes up.
Yea, I know, you're right. I don't mind local/regional self-organizing groups. But I can't stand the top down, national, dictatorial hierarchy. In many ways, I find the whole 2-party structure essentially un-American...it's a concentration of power antithetical to freedoms...a duopoly isn't much better than a monopoly when they work together to suppress competition.
But I know I'm pissing into the wind.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Tjol
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Tjol »

If we as a people stopped giving money to national parties, and instead gave our monies to specific candidates...

Well, then again, I've never given money politically. But the only times I've ever even thought about donating money (that is when I had disposable income that I could give) was to individual candidates.

Does any American on these boards ever donate to the national parties? And if not, how is it that the national parties exist as organisations, rather than loose affiliations?
"Humanity indisputably progresses, but neither uniformly nor everywhere"--Regine Pernoud

You work while you can, because who knows how long you can. Even if it's exhausting work for less pay. All it takes is the 'benevolence' of an incompetant politician or bureaucrat to leave you without work to do and no paycheck to collect. --Tjol
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Tjol wrote:If we as a people stopped giving money to national parties, and instead gave our monies to specific candidates...

Well, then again, I've never given money politically. But the only times I've ever even thought about donating money (that is when I had disposable income that I could give) was to individual candidates.

Does any American on these boards ever donate to the national parties? And if not, how is it that the national parties exist as organisations, rather than loose affiliations?
Well one chunk, I think comes from checking the "Donate a dollar" box on your tax filing forms.

I imagine Organizations are more likely to support a party, rather than a candidate, Party depending upon which ideology they favor.

Get out the Vote campaigns are often aimed at numbers a Party may gain or lose, so, they don't care who the candidate is, as long as they are the right party.
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Tjol
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Tjol »

sindatur wrote:
Tjol wrote:If we as a people stopped giving money to national parties, and instead gave our monies to specific candidates...

Well one chunk, I think comes from checking the "Donate a dollar" box on your tax filing forms.

I imagine Organizations are more likely to support a party, rather than a candidate, Party depending upon which ideology they favor.

Get out the Vote campaigns are often aimed at numbers a Party may gain or lose, so, they don't care who the candidate is, as long as they are the right party.
I used to donate via tax returns...but so many of the health based organisations started legislating good health with the semi-myth of second hand smoke laws here in California. As I always say, I don't smoke, but I have a problem with going on a witch hunt for smokers when second hand smoke isn't half the pollutant auto exhaust is... and we all seem to be just fine with auto exhaust.

Once health interests started trying to legislate instead of educate, I didn't want my money being used by them anymore.
"Humanity indisputably progresses, but neither uniformly nor everywhere"--Regine Pernoud

You work while you can, because who knows how long you can. Even if it's exhausting work for less pay. All it takes is the 'benevolence' of an incompetant politician or bureaucrat to leave you without work to do and no paycheck to collect. --Tjol
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Alright. This guy has lots of buzz, lots of potential support if he decides to run [he's the only one even close to Romney in most places...and leads or is within margin of error if Bachmann and Palin aren't on the list] and then there is this:
The event was Perry's idea but was financed by the American Family Association, a Tupelo, Miss.-based group that opposes abortion and gay rights and believes that the First Amendment freedom of religion applies only to Christians.
Lots of people even here were flabbergasted by Obama's "religious ties" and how "anti-American" they were.
How do you feel about this guy?
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Vraith wrote:Alright. This guy has lots of buzz, lots of potential support if he decides to run [he's the only one even close to Romney in most places...and leads or is within margin of error if Bachmann and Palin aren't on the list] and then there is this:
The event was Perry's idea but was financed by the American Family Association, a Tupelo, Miss.-based group that opposes abortion and gay rights and believes that the First Amendment freedom of religion applies only to Christians.
Lots of people even here were flabbergasted by Obama's "religious ties" and how "anti-American" they were.
That's pretty Anti-American and extreme. Who is this you're speaking of? The Quote references Perry, is that Texas Governor Perry?

Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Yes...sorry...I could have been more clear.
Rawedge Rim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rawedge Rim »

sindatur wrote:
Vraith wrote:Alright. This guy has lots of buzz, lots of potential support if he decides to run [he's the only one even close to Romney in most places...and leads or is within margin of error if Bachmann and Palin aren't on the list] and then there is this:
That's pretty Anti-American and extreme. Who is this you're speaking of? The Quote references Perry, is that Texas Governor Perry?
I would be willing to bet that if you could somehow go back to 1790 or so and ask the framers of the Constitution and the vast majority of the people of the time; that would be exactly thier interpretation of the First Ammendment.

Now certainly over the intervening 200+ years, that interpretation has expanded to cover nearly all religions, but lets not act like the "Framers" thought exactly the way we do now.
“One accurate measurement is worth a
thousand expert opinions.”
- Adm. Grace Hopper

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Rawedge Rim wrote:
sindatur wrote:
I would be willing to bet that if you could somehow go back to 1790 or so and ask the framers of the Constitution and the vast majority of the people of the time; that would be exactly thier interpretation of the First Ammendment.

Now certainly over the intervening 200+ years, that interpretation has expanded to cover nearly all religions, but lets not act like the "Framers" thought exactly the way we do now.
I'd say it's extremely likely that you are correct. But sometimes an idea is greater than the creator intended [and sometime smaller, too]...which is one of the most important failures of strict "originalist" and similar interpretations. If only one group has a right [Christians, for instance]...then it is the exact opposite of a right.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Vraith wrote:
Rawedge Rim wrote:
sindatur wrote: That's pretty Anti-American and extreme. Who is this you're speaking of? The Quote references Perry, is that Texas Governor Perry?

I'd say it's extremely likely that you are correct. But sometimes an idea is greater than the creator intended [and sometime smaller, too]...which is one of the most important failures of strict "originalist" and similar interpretations. If only one group has a right [Christians, for instance]...then it is the exact opposite of a right.
Disagree with the last part. Rights are always attached to membership in a group. So it'd still be a 'right', just not a 'human right'. Everything else is fine though :P
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

saw tonight on th elocal news that Perry is expected to anounce on saturday. i will be voting against him as i always do. maybe for Ron Paul.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Jeezus, did anyone see these idiots debate last night?

Might as well get used to four more years.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Cail wrote:Jeezus, did anyone see these idiots debate last night?

Might as well get used to four more years.
I tried to watch it, I swear, I really really tried...
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Stephen King wrote:If you can't afford a movie, go to the zoo. If you can't afford the zoo, go see a politician.
--A
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

And one drops out. Pawlenty calls it quits.
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Still Not Buying It

Post by Obi-Wan Nihilo »

Is Perry electable?
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

None of them are. Bachman and Romney are probably the only ones with a somewhat credible shot. But even still, there are too many Republicans and right-of-center independents who would never vote for either of them.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Exnihilo2 wrote:Is Perry electable?
I don't think so...but on bad days I worry he might be.
I suspect that both Bachmann and Perry are the kind of candidate that, if nominated, will bring out a lot of people to vote for Obama no matter how angry/disappointed with him just to make sure neither of those two wins.
But it's just a suspicion, not ready to predict yet.

Return to “Coercri”