Walk a Mile in their Shoes: Devil's Advocate Game

Archive From The 'Tank
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Sorry forgot.

Umm next topic...let's hear an environmentalist argue for off-shore drilling/whaling/their favourite pet environmental peeve. Or someone who supports these things argue from an environmental perspective.
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

Finally something that those of us from the correct-spelling nations can answer..

I think whaling is great. The Japanese have proved time and time again that they truly are the most advanced and cultured people, and indeed the epitome of humanity.

To be human is to adapt the world to our uses - how can it be otherwise when we are the only of God's creatures with opposable thumbs? This is our reason for existence.
As the greatest of all God's creatures, who is to say what animals we can and cannot harvest? Whales in particular.
We should look upon all things in terms of what value they hold to us. Whales are a fantastic source of whale meat (some may say the only source), and their flesh is a delicacy that should be partaken by every human. It is your right and duty to sample the flesh of evey animal under your domain and see if it is pleasing to you.

Furthermore, should they become extinct, will the world be worse off? What do they do? How do they contribute to the world? Do you know what they do? They swim around in the ocean and eat tiny little fish, fish that are defenceless and have no chance to escape the voracious appetites of these Whales. What absolute bastards. Throughout the rest of the animal kingdom, no other species is as defenceless than these the small fish, which these whales have massacred for millenia. This butchery has to stop.

Next topic.
Global Warming / Climate Change are good things, and we should promote and encourage these phenomena.
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

This thread is an AWESOME idea. No time for it now... but sometime I hope to participate. :)
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

Global Warming / Climate Change are good things, and we should promote and encourage these phenomena.
The most productive periods in the history of planet earth, both in terms of biomass and in terms of evolution of bio diversity have been the warmest periods.

Large amounts of biomass = good, because it means more food for people. Large biodiversity = REAL good, because outside the obvious aestetical gain, it also means more medication from rare plants and animals.

The majority of the worlds decision making population is currently living in a collection of boreal and temperate ecosystems. Blatantly oblivious to the facts that the rate of evolution/amount of biomass is significantly lower in such cold ecosystems. I assume that what humans really want is a stable environment, and cold ecosystems can't supply that. Cold ecosystems are existing in a precarious equilibrium prone to colapse (just take the arctic).

However, large scale glacial ecosystems (or "abiosystems" as they should be called) are incredibly stable. Just look at the length of the ice ages compared to the interglacial periods. Shouldn't it be the central goal of man to combat a new ice-age that WILL come if we don't do anything? Geological records and climatological predictions make that a virtual certainty.

Next topic:
It is completely possible to legislate on a selection of pure principles and hence to create a just society.
"I would have gone to the thesaurus for a more erudite word."
-Hashi Lebwohl
Gadget nee Jemcheeta
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gadget nee Jemcheeta »

This is so good. Guys. This is fantastic.
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

2 more posts and you've made 2k in 7 years. ;)

--A
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Avatar wrote:2 more posts and you've made 2k in 7 years. ;)
Hey!
I resemble that remark!
Or that ratio, or something..
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"

Return to “Coercri”