AATE Part 2, Chapter 5: Inheritances

ROTE, FR, AATE, TLD

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

DoctorGamgee
Bloodguard

AATE Part 2, Chapter 5: Inheritances

Post by DoctorGamgee »

The chapter is called Inheritances, and this aspect is seen on many levels beyond the obvious reveal at the end of the chapter. It flows naturally from the previous one...

At the end of the previous chapter, we see everyone turning to their inherited traditions to find a way to cope with Liand's Death: The Haruchai follow their inherent stoicism and return to duty guarding their respective charges (including Stave looking out for Linden); the Ramen fling themselves into physically exhausting their grief via running; Anele, Covenant and Jeremiah remain catatonic; and the Giants have exhausted themselves scouring the outlying lands to find stones to build a cairn for the fallen stonedowner.

Linden's choice is curious; when whe was possessed by moksha at Kiril Threndor he tried to "torture her with the memories of the deaths of her father and mother and all the other times she is paralyzed and does not/cannot aid Covenant" (Barkley, 2009). Here, she imposes paralysis upon herself, abnegating all choices to her companions and embracing the sense of despair she got from her parents.

The chapter opens with the group going to see the cairn. Linden didn't particularly want to do it, but she was no longer making choices so picked up the Staff, the Ring and Jeremiah's car and followed along. The giants are given honor for their work and they call an end to the grieving process for now, due to the constraints of the situation. They begin to make a list of the enemies they have and try to chart a course. The Mahrtiir lists them: Joan and her ceasuras, Roger and the Cavewights, Kastenessen, Sandgorgons and skurj, Esmer and his treachery, and finally the Worm. He then lists the things which are evil but cannot be addressed at the moment: kresh, skest, turiya, grief for Lostson, the Insequent, Lurker are all dismissed as secondary. Moksha must be remembered as his whereabouts are unknown, SWMNBN, and Lord Foul himself. He then asks if anything has been forgotten.

The uncomfortable silence was broken by Linden (who seemingly forgot she was not making decisions!) and offers the Elohim. Coldspray assesses that the list is complete but then commands that everyone in the party who is able must speak their minds, as silence is not an option. "Any word may serve to inspre guidance, but it cannot if it is not uttered" is her parting comment. Pahni opens the comments by noting that Linden's 'need for death' was still hanging in the air. The giants try to deflect things, but cut to the heart of the matter and that they should focus on what is achievable, removing several choices from the list, but laying the decision squarely at the feet of Linden and Galt. And Coldspray narrows it down to the final three: Joan and her ring, Roger & his Army, and Kastenessen, with Jeremaih' and the Croyel added in by Mahrtiir.

The company asks the Haruchai (both Stave and Galt) to respond; Galt agrees to speak when they are done, and Stave to answer him. He urges contact with Revelstone, but cannot accomplish that on his own so considers himself content.

Coldspray asks which of the three (ignoring Jeremiah) is most pressing. Linden again breaks her resolve to leave the decision to others and points out urgency isn't the trouble, it is location. Joan is hidden, Roger and Kastenessen are at Mount Thunder, but Jeremiah is here. They discuss following the Ardent's path using what supplies they have left.

Surprisingly, it is Bhapa who comes forward with a winning suggestion: asking the Ranyhyn to come lead them as they have no idea what to do. Hope seems to be seen and Linden's heart rises at the prospect...

Until Galt speaks. He agrees it is a great idea, and once they have arrived and given concent, he will slay the croyel. At which point all Hell breaks loose within the company. Giants reached for their swords, "Mahrtiir's garrot seemed to leap of its own accord into his hands" and Linden called black flames from the Staff and headed to save her son. Anele started to awaken from his catatonia, whispering "Must" and "Cannot."

Thankfully, Stave stopped her. Linden tries to reach Covenant to have him stop the Humbled, as only he would be trusted. But he was unresponsive. Stave calms her down and answers Galt and calls on him to explain his logic to his companions.
"Our reasons are many," he began. "least among them is that I will not bear this monstrous being upon the back of Bhanoryl, or upon that of any Ranyhyn. All Haruchai honor the Ranyhyn. I will not impose the evil of the croyel upon them."
He is rebuffed by the Manethrall, but he goes on:
... "A weightier reason is that my present task fetters me. Against the assault which slew the Stonedownor, I could not act without risking the croyel's release. I will not again suffer this waste of my strength when every strenght is needed."

Stave offers to do the job for him, but he finally comes to the point: it is hopeless.
Linden Avery's mad quest for her son has met its irreparable doom. lacking any good cause, we have endured many bitter hazards in her name and have gained naught but an increase of sorrow. Now our need for the croyel's death exceeds the value of the boy's life. The Unbeliever has commanded us to honor Linden Avery's wishes. In his present state, we cannot. We must serve according to our avowed Mastery.
This is perhaps the most telling of the reasons and one of the longer speeches we hear from the humbled in quite some time. They are basically justifying the abandonment of Covenant's order. The final reason points to the heart of their thoughts: When The Unbeliever will need the krill when they face their foes and did not claim it simply to save Jeremiah.

Stave, who has tried to address them honorably, starts speaking slowly, so as to be clearly understood. Basically he responds that everything else you say is mere impatience: but Covenant's need for it, and his inability to use it negate each other."
"And it is neither honest nor honorable to kill the boy when no purpose is served. It is murder."
You can't help but really enjoy Stave's response. It is rational, clear, and undeniable. Reason and deliberate logic are going to decide the plan, rationally and calmly...

until the spear almost strikes Linden and Roger shows up with his Cavewight army. Everybody braces for the assult as they can. Roger wields magma and tries to get to them riding a Cavewight. The giants set Anele on the stone cairn and prepare for battle. Covenant is given to Bhapa and Pahni for care. Stave offers to take Galt's place, but he refuses and calls Stave a liar who will not release the krill when it is needed by Covenant.

The battle rages on, Roger gets closer and tries seems to focus on the cairn and killing Anele. Linden defends him, taking out the Cavewight Roger is riding. She was mounting a final assult on Roger when she is distracted by Anele's leaving the cairn, whose "moonstone eyes shone like sunlight, articulating his inheritance of Earthpower. We are finally able to see what the title of the chapter is all about! His mantra of 'cannots' got quiter as his 'musts' grew to a shout.

The croyel is shrieking in fear as Anele approaches Jeremiah, his orcrest in one hand his natural Earthpower he got from Hollian and Sunder flowing through the rest of him. We are finally going to see the croyel's demise...

And Esmer plunges in from the sky. Honestly, the number of times we see the end arriving finally thwarted is incredible. His arrival quenched Linden's power, and screaming he heads for Anele to finally stop it, having chosen evil it seems and ultimate failure is here. Until...

A score of ur-viles and wayhnim appear and stop him cold. Linden has her power back, Roger is screaming rage at being yet again robbed of his victory. Anele once again heads for Jeremiah, and has almost reached him when an axe flies in from the battle towards his back.

And the decision of what to do is left to Galt. Galt, who has said the Boy must die. Galt, who has eschewed all the words of Stave and decided Mastery was the choice to be made. Galt who is the only one who can do anything. And he does. And again, our expectations are twarted, as he does the right thing.

He spins and takes the axe himself, leaving Anele able to get to Jeremiah. Galt's dead grip drops the krill and the croyel sinks his teeth into Jeremiah's neck. But Anele had filled Jeremiah's veins with Earthpower, and in biting the neck, it was destroyed by the power. Jeremiah was free. Anele was sane and released from the Earthpower which had kept him sustained all these years.
Linden wanted to sob like esmer; wrap Jeremiah in her arms; wail over Anele's dying body. But she had no time.
So as can be seen, this chapter is really well put together, constant cliffhangers keep the pace moving in the final pages, and our expectations are constantly twarted, leaving us reeling at times. The resolution of Anele's Inheritance is finally brought to bear and he is releaved of his madness and duty. The Inheritances of the others are seen as well, and if they survive the battle which is still raging, much will have been resolved. The final Inheritance is a spoiler for the next chapter, which if you have been paying attention should come as no surprise:
Spoiler
Galt did as he had to do, just as Stave, his father did. In making the unexpected choice to save Jeremiah despite his avowed decision of action before (saving the unsavable) we see him facing reality whether it matches his mindset or not. Which is what Stave did when he went against the Masters.
Thanks for letting me attempt this. I can't wait to see what you all will add to this.

Doc
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Great effort for a first dissection, Dr. G. You're now officially a veteran Watcher.

I appreciate how you went back to "inheritances" and showed where it was applicable in several places. One other that occurs to me, is the orcrest itself is an inheritance, passed on from Liand to Anele. And, in turn, the task of destroying the croyel had also been inherited.

As a member of Linden's army, I'm always looking out for unwarranted criticism of her. So I'd have to disagree with describing her as paralyzed here. She's given up leadership, that's for certain. She doesn't trust her own decisions any more, they all lead to doom. But she hasn't given up action or considered thought or caring, as she subsequently demonstrates by contributing to the decision process. (Which you seem to consider "breaking her resolve" for some reason.)

Anyway ... it comes down to, as it usually seems to, whether or not you credit that Linden has endured more than anyone could ever survive, or whether you believe she is deficient for not holding up better than she has.

As to Stave's and Galt's debate: it occurs to me that, when Galt says, "The Unbeliever did not wrest it from its place merely to capture and preserve the boy," that that, indeed, that is exactly why he did it!!!! Or, at least, one of two important reasons. As we have seen, Covenant appears to have been steering the group toward freeing Jeremiah since he was resurrected. (As for the other reason, I point out where earlier he had thought, "Everything that he required of himself while life remained in his body depended on his ability to grip and hold.")

Then comes the battle.

One thing that struck me as interesting is that the combination of the two circumstances - one being Galt wanting to slay Jeremiah to free the use of the krill, the other being Roger's attack - left Linden with an interesting dillema.
In [u]Against All Things Ending[/u] was wrote:Runes shone like inscribed wild magic as she strove to batter down Roger’s defenses, repay his bitter betrayals; fought to prevent Galt from deciding to kill the croyel. [...] If she could stop Roger, kill him, his Cavewights might falter. Galt might refrain from causing Jeremiah’s death.
She's fighting Roger to keep Galt from killing Jeremiah!

Ironically, this has the effect of putting her back into the lead position, as she's the only one with enough power to fend off Roger.
DoctorGamgee wrote:So as can be seen, this chapter is really well put together, constant cliffhangers keep the pace moving in the final pages, and our expectations are constantly twarted, leaving us reeling at times. The resolution of Anele's Inheritance is finally brought to bear and he is releaved of his madness and duty.
But!

But it leaves me WONDERING. Yes, in caps like that. It leaves me WONDERING ... why now?

Why did Anele act now? Why did the shackles come out now?

As for Anele, I guess that he had been unable to perform his destined task until Jeremiah was freed from the Lost deep. And then he had been stymied by not having the orcrest. And certainly he had a significant amount of trepidation over the deed - his must, cannot dilemma. And, possibly, he had required waiting for Esmer to be shackled up, presumably since he would interfere otherwise.

All of which contrived for him to perform his life's task now.

And which puts a certain amount of significance on the actions of the Demondim-spawn. Why did they wait until now to use the shackles? What were they waiting for?

If the shackles had been designed with Anele and Jeremiah in mind, perhaps they were waiting for the same thing ... for Anele to be ready. I'm not convinced of that, though - I don't see any issue with shackling Esmer too soon.

BTW -- I was completely blindsided by the shackles being for Esmer. They seemed so clearly connected to Joan and/or Longwrath. Perhaps Donaldson is the master of misdirection. Or perhaps, like his chapter titles, like the krill, like the runes on Linden's staff, the shackles have more than one purpose.
DoctorGamgee
Bloodguard

Post by DoctorGamgee »

As to why now...I can only speculate. Isn't this the first time we see Anele both in posession of orcrest and away from Kevin's dirt, so he is free to totally unleash it (as Linden can with the staff), and, of course, there is the fact that this opportunity occurs when the masters via Galt have decided that the boy can no longer be sustained. It seems as if there has always been someone else who could do take care of it (Liand, Linden, Covenant) or at least care for the boy. For whatever that is worth. I think the dirt is a special hamper to Anele's mind and clogs his sanity as mutch as dampens his Earthpower.

I wish I were not in the car on the way to vacation...I can't lay my hands on the phrase where Linden phrases her decision at the end of the previous chapter. To me it read that she had resigned not only the leadership, but also all decisions and the making of them. My reading leaves her chiming in as breaking her resolve, but perhaps you are correct.

As to the shackles...it seems as if they were designed for dealing with the madness which led folks to go after the Chosen. First the giant, now Esmer. But maybe it is just misdirection. Anele's madness and Jeremiah's disfunction are akin to Esmer's bipolar dichotomy revolving around Linden. But that is mere speculation.
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

DoctorGamgee wrote:I wish I were not in the car on the way to vacation...I can't lay my hands on the phrase where Linden phrases her decision at the end of the previous chapter. To me it read that she had resigned not only the leadership, but also all decisions and the making of them. My reading leaves her chiming in as breaking her resolve, but perhaps you are correct.
I hope that this is the passage you mean.
In [i]Against All Things Ending[/i] was wrote:Her friends intended to make her decisions for her - but only until she felt able to become the Chosen again: the woman in whom they elected to believe. They did not understand that Liand’s death, and the state of Jeremiah’s mind, and the bane’s screaming power had taught her the truth about herself. At her heart, she was carrion. Food for maggots and vultures. She was done with choosing.

She had no other defense against the Despiser’s machinations.
So, yes, she is abdicating choosing, of leadership. Because she feels that all her decisions lead to death, or worse, serve the Despiser. So she wants to put decisions in someone elses hands, hoping for a better result.

What does it mean, to believe she was carrion? Carrion is food for that which feasts upon death. Maggots and vultures. So, my interpretation is, she feels like she can do nothing except serve up more death.

Personally, I can empathize with this.

So later on, when the others are trying to decide what to do, she offers up some information. Don't forget the Elohim. Distance is a consideration. My opinion on this is, this is not choosing, this is helping the others choose. She's actually encouraging others' to decide.

Not because she's tired. Not because of despair or grief. But because that's the logical choice to make. Because it's the best available defense against the Despiser’s machinations. If everything she chooses ends up serving Despite, then she needs to stop choosing.

She's not withdrawing from the battle, she's just letting someone else command it. So, when Roger appears, rather than sit by and watch it unfold, she fires up the Staff and does her part.
Barnetto
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Barnetto »

wayfriend wrote:But it leaves me WONDERING. Yes, in caps like that. It leaves me WONDERING ... why now?

Why did Anele act now? Why did the shackles come out now?

And which puts a certain amount of significance on the actions of the Demondim-spawn. Why did they wait until now to use the shackles? What were they waiting for?

If the shackles had been designed with Anele and Jeremiah in mind, perhaps they were waiting for the same thing ... for Anele to be ready. I'm not convinced of that, though - I don't see any issue with shackling Esmer too soon.
I'm not sure we are going to get a totally coherent answer to that question - other than the fact that it made for good drama.

But presumably the reason the Ur-viles have not so far used the manacles on Esmer is that Esmer is providing both a benefit as well as a impediment to the company. A help and hindrance in almost equal measure. So they will not apply the manacles whilst there are other ways to deal with his hindrances, so that the company continue to benefit from his help. So there would be a downside in applying them "too soon".

So in the Lost Deep Esmer provided both help (well presumably mending the car was a help) and hindrance (preventing flight). But why didn't the Ur-viles apply the manacles prior to the fight with SWMNBN? Esmer has provided no further assistance since the red car episode earlier in the Lost Deep. They were taking a big risk if they were counting on other help at that point.

So presumably, at this point, with the battle raging around and Anele on the point of incinerating the Croyel, the Ur-viles presumably see that there is no other choice than using the manacles. No other way for the company to survive. OR they consider that Esmer has finally chosen evil over good and that he will no longer provide assistance and impediment in equal measure.

Ultimately, they don't know the future so they make their decisions based on the present. They cannot have known that Esmer would provide no further assistance after the red car, until he arrives in the midst of the battle to thwart Anele.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Barnetto wrote:I'm not sure we are going to get a totally coherent answer to that question - other than the fact that it made for good drama.
To my surprise, as I had not recalled it until I re-read, answers do emerge in the next chapter.
Spoiler
Whether the answer is coherent is another matter.
Barnetto
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Barnetto »

wayfriend wrote:
Barnetto wrote:I'm not sure we are going to get a totally coherent answer to that question - other than the fact that it made for good drama.
To my surprise, as I had not recalled it until I re-read, answers do emerge in the next chapter.
Spoiler
Whether the answer is coherent is another matter.
Blimey, that (ie your lack of recall) is as shocking as any revelation in the whole of the Last Chronicles.... 8O

Return to “Last Chronicles”