The Mordant's Need Trivia Game (Spoilers!!!)

"Reflect" on Stephen Donaldson's other epic fantasy

Moderator: Cord Hurn

IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Post by IrrationalSanity »

And just for the sake of argument, (I'm not trying to take anyone's right to ask the next question, and besides, I don't have my books handy) wasn't Terisa's first thought on seeing her father actually being reminded just how handsome he looked in a suit or some such?
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
Shuram Gudatetris
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Shuram Gudatetris »

IrrationalSanity wrote:And just for the sake of argument, (I'm not trying to take anyone's right to ask the next question, and besides, I don't have my books handy) wasn't Terisa's first thought on seeing her father actually being reminded just how handsome he looked in a suit or some such?
I remember that now! That is way better than the lame answer I gave. :oops:
Covenant is Linden Frankenstein's monster.

I maxed-out Tetris!
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Well, I wouldn't be too embarassed - I only know she had that thought, not with any certainty that it was her "first" thought.

I did like that scene, though. It was pretty much the inflection point that demonstrated and solidified her own transformation.
- Woody -
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
TerisasMirror
Stonedownor

Post by TerisasMirror »

Sorry for all the delay. I gotta stop answering questions right - life is too crazy for me right now to allow me to post questions in a timely manner. :oops:

Name three towns (villages, cities, whatever) in Mordant that are not capitals of a Care.

And IS - The first thing said about her father (after the fact that he was standing behind Rev. Thatcher) was that he looked like "a startled barracuda".
I always liked that. We had a USBL franchise locally I liked called the Barracudas. It would make me think of one of them being startled.

I think the next thing mentioned was that she had always thought the her father was "mercilessly handsome" in a tux.
TerisasMirror
Stonedownor

Post by TerisasMirror »

Ummm, did I ask a crappy question? Should I pick another one?

Sorry. :(
Shuram Gudatetris
<i>Haruchai</i>

All right. I am going to take a crack at this. Feel free to buzz me out. But I have been thinking. This is my best answer.
Carmag. Scarab. Esmerel.

Speaking of Esmerel, what was the cat's name on Smurfs? Something like that I think. But I am not sure if Esmerel is a town. Maybe is is just an estate. I can't think of any of the Capitals of any of the Cares.

I maxed-out Tetris!
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

TerisasMirror wrote:Ummm, did I ask a crappy question? Should I pick another one?

Just challenging.
Pfft, if people find it difficult, that doesn't make it bad.
If anything it shows us which things -we- didn't notice.

I was thinking of just going and listing a few of the Cares (all I can think of atm is Tor, Domne, Fayle, Armigite, Termigan... okay, that's more than I expected to remember.) and being like, "okay, does that help anyone remember? 'cause I got nothin'."
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

I know where they were mentioned, and I think a couple of their names started with "A" (e.g. Aperte or some such was one of them), but I can't give the details since I don't have the book handy.

Personally, though not a "crappy" question, I find it was a bit "ghoulish" (to give the other folks who have better book access a hint...)
- Woody -
But I love my wife more!

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

TerisasMirror wrote:Ummm, did I ask a crappy question? Should I pick another one?

No such thing. If we can't answer it, you get to go again. :D

Anyway, I think Shuram has at least 2 points...he named 2 cities which are not capitals of a care. :D He should get it by default, even if the third isn't a village or something.

--A
Khazduk
Woodhelvennin

Post by Khazduk »

Shuram Gudatetris wrote: Speaking of Esmerel, what was the cat's name on Smurfs? Something like that I think. But I am not sure if Esmerel is a town. Maybe is is just an estate. I can't think of any of the Capitals of any of the Cares.
It (he?) goes by the name of Azrael, just like the angel of Death, no less. :)
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Those two cities weren't capitals of "cares", but neither were they technically in Mordant, and they are capitals. :) Esmerel isn't a city, but rather an estate, much as Vale House is an estate just outside the capital city of Romish (though Romish is in the same care as the villages I alluded to earlier...)
- Woody -
But I love my wife more!

Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

IrrationalSanity wrote:Those two cities weren't capitals of "cares", but neither were they technically in Mordant, and they are capitals. :) Esmerel isn't a city, but rather an estate, much as Vale House is an estate just outside the capital city of Romish (though Romish is in the same care as the villages I alluded to earlier...)
Ahh yeah.. sometimes we as readers file things away as "place name," and don't always think about whether it's a city, village, grand estate, etc.

Also, this situation brings up a good point... presumably, you know roughly where the information is in the text, IS.

I don't quite know the "rules" of these trivia games... looking up is allowed by those guessing, or generally not allowed? (I'm assuming it's "generally to be avoided.")
Or allowed when we're all stumped, yet one or two people know where to find the relevant information? :?
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Shuram Gudatetris
<i>Haruchai</i>

:D All right! I got the ball rolling, at least! ;)

I maxed-out Tetris!
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

I would only look at the book after I had posted an official answer to see if I was actually right. In this case, I can't post a complete answer because I can't remember all of the town names involved. I do know almost exactly where to find the answer to this one, though, should I actually find my books. (I loaned them to someone, and haven't seen them since...) :)
- Woody -
But I love my wife more!

Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I try to play the same way, IS.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I try to play the same way, IS.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
TerisasMirror
Stonedownor

Post by TerisasMirror »

Shuram Gudatetris wrote:All right. I am going to take a crack at this. Feel free to buzz me out. But I have been thinking. This is my best answer.
Carmag. Scarab. Esmerel.

Speaking of Esmerel, what was the cat's name on Smurfs? Something like that I think. But I am not sure if Esmerel is a town. Maybe is is just an estate. I can't think of any of the Capitals of any of the Cares.
You are right, Esmerel is an estate. And IS is right, the other two are not in Mordant.

LOL - No, Av. Not close enough - no cookie for that. :lol:

IS is also VERY close on the one name - could be pronounced correctly, but technically spelled wrong. And his hints are good ones, too.

Here's another hint: The first village mentioned is never actually visited in the books, and is only referenced in regards to it's most famous export.
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

TerisasMirror wrote:Here's another hint: The first village mentioned is never actually visited in the books, and is only referenced in regards to it's most famous export.
Ooh! Good one. I never thought of that being mentioned as a village (and I'd probably misspell that one, too). But I knew there were at least three villages mentioned in the other context, so I never went beyond it. Besides, I don't drink. :D
- Woody -
But I love my wife more!

Quiss
Servant of the Land

Post by Quiss »

I can definately remember two of them, Aperyte and Maybel, but I can't for the life of me remember the third
It's a poor sort of memory, that only works backwards...
Quiss
Servant of the Land

Post by Quiss »

Quiss wrote:I can definately remember two of them, Aperyte and Maybel, but I can't for the life of me remember the third
Naybel sorry
It's a poor sort of memory, that only works backwards...

Return to “Mordant's Need”