of interest to fans of roguelikes, especially nethack

Forum-based role-playing games

Moderators: Xar, Goatkiller666

Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

of interest to fans of roguelikes, especially nethack

Post by Lord Zombiac »

I am in the midst of forging a very complex html based game called "Fruithack." It begins as a simple "choose your adventure" type html game ("if you want to drink the potion turn to page 63"-- remember those?)
As you progress, however, I use page randomizing javascript to really make it more like a true computer game.
Using several folders, including four seperate folders that contain, within them nested folders in order to aproximate "if then" lines as they pertain to game "variables..."
Yes, without actually having any code to embed variables in the html and change those variables with "if then" lines, I have found a way to do things like give you a number of lives which go up and down as you get heals or get killed!
the first three levels are complete and ready for playtesting!
You are cordially invited to give it a try-- it even has "prises" which you can download as you advance!
This is far more complex than you can imagine, for a game using nothing but html links and javascript to randomize certain pages.
Three levels contain several thousand complexly interwoven html doccuments and use the "absurd tileset" designed for nethack (for those who wanted slightly better graphics than ascii characters!)

httpsss://www.barbarianclan.com
"everything that passes unattempted is impossible"-- Lord Mhoram, the Illearth War.
Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lord Zombiac »

ok frustration. I put a hit counter in various pages but the number of hits recorded reflects the same number on each page. I am going nuts trying to find a hit counter that is specific to the exact url for the single page and not my entire domain or an entire folder in my domain. I am going crazy trying to find a hit counter that is self contained and isn't a service from another website, doesn't link to ads, is just some simple cut and paste code that will count unique visitors, etc., my web hosting service has a page you can log into to get and use tools and utilities, but trying to find the login url for that specific service is f**king impossible! They do not have anything navigable in any useful way. This should be very simple, but I am hitting brick walls no matter how hard I try... I want fruithack to count how many unique visitors 1) start the game or visit the first page 2) find the treasure, which is adifferent url in the same domain, 3) how many unique visitors to each level, again, these are all seperate urls, even seperate folders, in the same domain and everything-- what gives? I think it would be really cool for people playing fruithack to get some idea of how many other people advanced as far as they did, but everything I google is absolutely useless. Again: I don't want some service doing the tracking for me if there is some simple way to have that function encoded as a stand alone function of the page itself. Even though I delete the section of code that generates ads-- I don't want code from places with ads anyway! Surely there is some way to do this... but again the frustration mounts because of crap that is marketing, not useful information, and I have gotten useful stuff from one website, but when I click a link that says "tracking and form codes" I get, instead codes for making or blocking ad banners... huh? very angry and frustrated. Anyone who knows how to get useful resources for this kind of thing, please help!
"everything that passes unattempted is impossible"-- Lord Mhoram, the Illearth War.
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Sorry man, I know nothing about coding anything. But I'm excited to give this a playtest! :D
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

This sounds a lot like: I built a house without using a single screw or nail, by using only dovetail joints that I had carved with a rusty spoon. Sure, you can do it ... but why? :)

That being said ... when you see that house made out of all dovetail joints, you go "wow..." and be in total awe.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Lord Zombiac wrote:ok frustration. I put a hit counter in various pages but the number of hits recorded reflects the same number on each page. I am going nuts trying to find a hit counter that is specific to the exact url for the single page and not my entire domain or an entire folder in my domain.
Uh, are you running this online?

If you are, just use Google Analytics. That'll tell you exactly how many times each page was hit.

--A
Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lord Zombiac »

oh I found out how to make it work. I always do-- just got frustrated, and the hit counter isn't for me, it's for the players!

Return to “Gravin Threndor”