I've Figured it out!

Malazan and other stuff.

Moderators: lucimay, Onos T'oolan

Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

I've Figured it out!

Post by Orlion »

Just a thread for epiphanies. They don't actually have to be right :P ;)

Anyway, here's my epiphany.......... wait for it......... breath...... The Malazan Book of the Fallen and Novels of the Malazan Empire are two different series :o

It's like how The Once and Future King and Mists of Avalon are two different books, or 300 and Gates of Fire. In other words, two stories based on the same source material.

I'm beginning to think it is wrong to read Erikson's and Esslemont's books as part of the same series. I don't think it's meant like that at all. Ultimately, we'll at least have a general idea of the mythology behind both series by reading them all, but it's not meant to be... together at the hips?

Anyway, I've figured it out!
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

I think that the many distinction's between the 2 writers tends to seperate them for me. It has to be that way, but as you say 2 writers can help tell the same story. After Robert E. Howard died Lin Carter, L. Sprague DeCamp, and Robert Jordan all produced decent Conan stories.
Wide Eyed Stupid
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Nah, I dunno. Just because they're parallel stories doesn't mean they're not interwoven.

If you haven't read RotCG then a couple of throwaway comments in DoD are going to be very confusing.

Not to mention some story lines seeming to drop off the earth.

--A
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Another epiphany! This has to do with why the Stormriders are always going against the Wall and don't go around or concentrate on one spot or whatever.

So, what are the Stormriders after? Kaminsod bits. Why? Unimportant for the epiphany. How was the Wall built? According to the instructions, it was built and blessed with a container of Kaminsod bits. What does this lead to? I believe that 'blessing' gave a Kaminsod aura to the Wall. A big target for the Stormriders to go after. I imagine Stormriders to be very simple minded. They're just going after the bits they see. So they throw themselves at the Wall... over and over and over....

Of course, the question than arises: why were they heading towards Malaz Island in Night of Knives?
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley

Return to “Steven Erikson Forum”