Power levels: Beings and Objects

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

shadowbinding shoe wrote:Kemper's the man. He worked very hard to keep his own hide. If he was confident his golden chair could beat Covenant's White Gold ring I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Remember his other accomplishments: Gorgon's Doom, almost eternal youth, Creation of new life, some sort of teleporting portals in his Keep. What Kemper had was superior knowledge and self control. Look how easily the Harrow beat the Demondim and Staff+Ring+Rage Linden with his superior knowledge. He was well prepared for this conflict, he knew what he was doing. It's not inconceivable that he arranged for that terrible storm to happen so the Giants would have to come to his port for repairs or at the very least foresaw their coming. And of course, Kemper doesn't need to beat the White Gold Ring, he just needs to beat Covenant. The White Gold is strong but the flesh is weak...
Good points, but I would argue that Foul's mastery of the Illearth Stone was complete, he has been shown to have a high degree of foresight, and in general Foul>Kasreyn, but yet TC wrecked the Creche, destroyed the Stone and overcame LF.

I doubt the Kemper would have survived even a middling release of White Gold. He caught and threw back a small eruption, but anything more would have blasted the tower to pebbles as you observed. Can Kasreyn fly? Because with the floor knocked out from under him the fight is over then and there.

I just think he was in a no-win situation against a ring bearer who was alert and aware. His best bet (and maybe his plan all along) was to get a still-comatose and unresponsive TC into the chamber and siphon off a large amount of power from the ring into his chair. With that, he would have been in business. He could have tossed Linden and TC in a dungeon or something, or disposed of Linden and the rest altogether and used Covenant as a power battery. With the amount of wild magic his chair could handle he might have even been able to defeat an elohim like Findail.

Once TC regained his faculties, though, it's over for all intents and purposes. He can't beat the full WG power with a portion he siphons out or catches.
bikebryan
Ramen

Post by bikebryan »

Horrim Carabal wrote:
shadowbinding shoe wrote:Kemper's the man. He worked very hard to keep his own hide. If he was confident his golden chair could beat Covenant's White Gold ring I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Remember his other accomplishments: Gorgon's Doom, almost eternal youth, Creation of new life, some sort of teleporting portals in his Keep. What Kemper had was superior knowledge and self control. Look how easily the Harrow beat the Demondim and Staff+Ring+Rage Linden with his superior knowledge. He was well prepared for this conflict, he knew what he was doing. It's not inconceivable that he arranged for that terrible storm to happen so the Giants would have to come to his port for repairs or at the very least foresaw their coming. And of course, Kemper doesn't need to beat the White Gold Ring, he just needs to beat Covenant. The White Gold is strong but the flesh is weak...
Good points, but I would argue that Foul's mastery of the Illearth Stone was complete, he has been shown to have a high degree of foresight, and in general Foul>Kasreyn, but yet TC wrecked the Creche, destroyed the Stone and overcame LF.

I doubt the Kemper would have survived even a middling release of White Gold. He caught and threw back a small eruption, but anything more would have blasted the tower to pebbles as you observed. Can Kasreyn fly? Because with the floor knocked out from under him the fight is over then and there.

I just think he was in a no-win situation against a ring bearer who was alert and aware. His best bet (and maybe his plan all along) was to get a still-comatose and unresponsive TC into the chamber and siphon off a large amount of power from the ring into his chair. With that, he would have been in business. He could have tossed Linden and TC in a dungeon or something, or disposed of Linden and the rest altogether and used Covenant as a power battery. With the amount of wild magic his chair could handle he might have even been able to defeat an elohim like Findail.

Once TC regained his faculties, though, it's over for all intents and purposes. He can't beat the full WG power with a portion he siphons out or catches.
Everybody misses the point. Kasreyn's goal wsa to claim the ring, but he knew that the ring and inhernent power is NOT able to forcibly taken from the ring bearer. His only hope was to break the silence imposed by the Elohim and at that instant coerce Covenant to willingly had the ring over...which might have happened. Anything that happened after that was merely Kasreyn's attempt to protect himself and prolong his life.

Return to “Fatal Revenant”