Non-WoW MMORPGS, particularly free ones

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

sweetbread
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by sweetbread »

Murrin wrote:
Maybe not quite on topic because it's large and you have to buy the game, but Guild Wars is a subscription-free MMO that's pretty high-quality. At this point it's several expansions in and this complicates the structure a little (expansion is self-contained, with its own starting areas and full content for 1-20, with transport links to the contant of other expansions), and it's also heavily group-play based, as you can't progress past certain points solo (I played for some time, almost entirely solo play, until around 50% of the way through the content where I just couldn't beat a mission that opened up access to the higher zones).

I enjoyed it at the time I played, but I have no idea what the game is like now.
I just logged in yesterday. Surprisingly, there were people online (none in my Guild or friends list, but that's beside the point), and the faction-battles still seem to be quite active. The faction battles are really where it's at, 12v12 battles are pretty cool. All in all, however, my main complaint with Guild Wars is it's lack of true objectives.... sure the PvP battles are for points (either faction points or other, can't remember atm) but there's nothing really WORTH fighting for. Nothing to conquer and hold. Nothing really changes.

If you're looking for something interesting, you should look into NWN (NOT NWN2, that is the buggiest crap ever. I was unable to even load a legit copy due to SecuROM). NWN is unusual in respects that it comes with the toolset and is designed to allow the players to build worlds, create custom content, and host their own servers. As noted somewhere in this forum, I used to host my own world called Ith'Landreil. Before that, I worked on a still thriving community called World of Caenyr.

As I shoot for a job in game-development, I am half-considering starting Ith'Landriel back up just for a weekend, a last hoorah just to get some good video footage for my reel. If you have the game, PM me and I'll let you know when/if this alleged event is to take place.

A TC-based NWN server wouldn't be a half-bad idea. But my ambitious arse wouldn't be able to settle for anything less that a built-from-scratch Covenant game....

((begins to seriously entertain the idea of a Covenant-based NWN server....although my wife would probably kill me...))
emotional leper wrote:Is bad-assness not a most puissant power, Ninjaboy?
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

sweetbread wrote: I just logged in yesterday. Surprisingly, there were people online (none in my Guild or friends list, but that's beside the point), and the faction-battles still seem to be quite active. The faction battles are really where it's at, 12v12 battles are pretty cool. All in all, however, my main complaint with Guild Wars is it's lack of true objectives.... sure the PvP battles are for points (either faction points or other, can't remember atm) but there's nothing really WORTH fighting for. Nothing to conquer and hold. Nothing really changes.
I don't really have a clue about this stuff, as I think all that faction stuff was brought in in the first expansion.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Looking forward to the Stargate SG-1 MMORPG.

Jaffa! KREE!
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

sweetbread wrote:
Murrin wrote: A TC-based NWN server wouldn't be a half-bad idea. But my ambitious arse wouldn't be able to settle for anything less that a built-from-scratch Covenant game....
It doesn't have to be built from scratch; KotOR is basically a mod for NWN.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
sweetbread
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by sweetbread »

Rigel wrote:
sweetbread wrote:
Murrin wrote: A TC-based NWN server wouldn't be a half-bad idea. But my ambitious arse wouldn't be able to settle for anything less that a built-from-scratch Covenant game....
It doesn't have to be built from scratch; KotOR is basically a mod for NWN.
As is the Witcher as well. However, both were created using the source code for the Aurora engine (NWN) which can then be tailored to suit a specific purpose. While delving into another person's (or company's) source code is usually a messy and time-consuming process, a new engine can be built from the ground up in the same amount of time (if not less) than wading through existing code. And without a source, things can often get ugly as you are limited to the constraints of the modded product, rather than the constraints of the engine.

Plus, I just like to build things. It'd be more much more satisfying to create a platform independent OpenGL application that is built specifically with a purpose in mind, rather then using an existing product where races, skills, items, etc must all be modified to accommodate the task at hand. However, if anyone knows NWN inside and out it would be I.

;)

Damn I'm tempted!
emotional leper wrote:Is bad-assness not a most puissant power, Ninjaboy?
baabng
Servant of the Land

Post by baabng »

Have you tried Magic World Online? It is pretty cool. I have played it for a while, and it is quite a bit like WoW, but it is free and it is pretty fun.
baabng
Servant of the Land

Post by baabng »

sorry, forgot the URL

mwo.enjoymmo.com/

This is to download the client. It is another HUGE one, though
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

I like Allods, but my recommendation may be risky, my taste in games is quite strange. May tell more if anyone is interested. I believe this is the international site allods.gpotato.com/minisite/ Not sure about that though, I play from the Russian one.

I wonder if the second one reminds you of someone?)

Edit: Whoah, this was one from the first page with threads, didn't see it was so old. Just mentioned it - the dates of the two last posts) Well, if no one is interested in this anymore, I wonder if I may see any comments on who I meant above)

Return to “PC & Console Games”