What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Hahaha, I'm short of reading material, and these are the only two I've just read once. So I thought...what the hell...

--A
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

well i did 2 full read-throughs of all 16 of lee child's Reacher books (detective/thriller stuf, not scifi fantasy) then i read wind through the keyhole which i liked, then i stumbled onto matthew stover's Caine books
(heroes die, blade of tyshalle, caine black knife, and caine's law which are a really ingenious mash up of fantasy and sci fi that i highly recommend) and
i just now downloaded orb, sceptre, throne, which i reckon i'll start right now.
:D night ya'll.
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Orb Sceptre Throne has been delivered to my Nook (according to my e-mail)! Will be starting that today. :mrgreen:

EDIT to add that early Alzheimer's must be setting in. Looks like I pre-ordered the Kindle version, too. Esslemont's gonna make a fortune off of me.... :roll:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Shaun das Schaf »

I hope you don't mind me admitting that I laughed at that! I've been known to buy the paperback and the ebook, but never multiple versions of the ebook. :lol: I do hope you enjoy it! Which reminds me that I still have Midnight Tides unfinished on my Kindle. I got distracted by psych books again, (amongst other things).
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

No worries, Shaun -- I'm laughing at me, too. :lol:

I'm blaming Magickmaker. My knee-jerk reaction is to buy Kindle versions, since they make it so bloody easy. But she works for B&N and she talked me in to buying the Nook, and occasionally she shames me into buying stuff for it. Don't tell her, but other than the stuff I sideloaded onto the Nook from my old Sony Reader, I think I have more Kindle books on my phone than I have Nook books.

Oh gods, I just realized something -- I've got apps for both the Kindle and the Nook on my phone. I have *way* too many options for delivery devices for OST. :oops: :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Wait a year or two and you'll probably be able to read your books on any device anyway. The trend is definately against DRM now.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Yup, and it's about time. The whole idea was stupid. Publishers learned exactly nothing from the digital music revolution.

EZ Board Survivor

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Avatar wrote:Hey, tell me what it's like. I read his blog and some columns by him...pretty funny.

--A
re: John Dies at the End.

I didn't like it. got four or five chapters in and gave up. i found the humor to be forced. too slapstick.

i guess i prefer more straight up horror.

sorry i couldn't give a complete view.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Spiral Jacobs
Giantfriend

Post by Spiral Jacobs »

Still listening to The Prefect by Reynolds and about 3/4 in. It's OK so far, the usual hard scifi big ideas, but one of the main story threads failed to keep my attention much.

Unfortunately I just hit a plot point that was so annoyingly stupid that I was glad I arrived at work. Hopefully it will resolve itself in a satisfactory manner.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

After a whole day and a half, I finished Ready Player One today. I feel a little guilty for enjoying it as much as I did, since it's very YA in tone and plot. But being a geek kid who grew up in the 80s/90s, though, it hit mostly the right notes with me (I thought a few character choices were a little off/simplistic, and most of it is pretty predictable).

Compare that with Murakami's IQ84 which I finally finished the day before yesterday (after reading it off and on over the last couple of months). Highly disappointing book. It's adult (overly so in a lot of areas, if you ask me), it's dense, cryptic, has a ton of literary references and flourishes, and ultimately falls flat. I was hoping there'd be a payoff for finishing it, but I'm not feeling it.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Finished Mistborn. It was enjoyable. Now reading The Road. It's a book by Cormac McCarthy.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
DoctorGamgee
Bloodguard

Post by DoctorGamgee »

Breed to Come by Andre Norton. It had been a while since I had seen it.
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Oh yeah -- Orb Sceptre Throne. 8)

EZ Board Survivor

Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

"A Lion Among Men" by Gregory Maguire. It's the third book in his "Wicked" series.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

[Syl] wrote:I feel a little guilty for enjoying it as much as I did, since it's very YA in tone and plot.
Nothing wrong with YA stuff if it's good. I still read it when the mood strikes.

--A
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Well, Av, I'm an English major now, and if I don't have to reread it three times to make sense of it, it's not any good. ;)
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

[Syl] wrote:... if I don't have to reread it three times to make sense of it, it's not any good. ;)
You're just being nice to us, [Syl], we're on to you now, so you can drop the false modesty act :lol:

u.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

:mrgreen:
-George Steiner
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Cameraman Jenn wrote:"A Lion Among Men" by Gregory Maguire. It's the third book in his "Wicked" series.
oooh, that reminds me, I need to get the Fourth and Final Audio Book "Out of Oz", I lost track of time, thinking it comes out this November, but, it atually came out last November
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Rereading Jacqueline Carey's first trilogy. I should finish her latest trilogy one of these days, but the second book was so disappointing. Her newer works seem so shallow compared to the richness and intrigue of her earlier books.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”