Acropolis Discussion

Moderator: [Syl]

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Dread Poet Jethro wrote:Her appearance changed
Weight reduced and health improved
She slipped right past them
*tsk*

shah, you.
It's not that radical a change in appearance yet.
...working on it though.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Menolly has a mid-life crisis. And thus begins her cougar phase.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Goatkiller666 wrote:Menolly has a mid-life crisis.

Yeah.
I guess you could say that.
Goatkiller666 wrote:And thus begins her cougar phase.
I've heard this phrase, but am uncertain what it means in middle aged women. I guess I should search it out.
Dread Poet Jethro
My quill pen is mightier Than the sword you drop

Post by Dread Poet Jethro »

Two Washington teams
UW has Huskies
She's not husky now

WSU
Has Cougar as their mascot
Must be what Goat meant...
Yes, I am an alt
Whose? An open secret to
Attentive Watchers
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Dread Poet Jethro wrote:WSU
Has Cougar as their mascot
Must be what Goat meant...
Nah, having looked it up, I don't think that's what goat meant. However, my reply would be that I have been such since at least dating Hyperception. He was 19 to my 28 when we married, and we did date for a short time before then...

...and I am so still husky.
Just not as much as I was.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

It's as much about the aggressiveness and pushiness as it is about the age.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Well, I definitely have always fallen in to that category. ;)
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Not that I pay much attention to the UW sports scene, but you can't help but notice all of the stupid signs up on campus about "Real DAWGS wear purple!" and such. They've taken an actually worthy animal, the husky, and cheapened it.

On the other hand, they have a pretty good education in my area, so I'm willing to remind myself that I don't pay attention to that kind of stuff anyway.

However, one of the key tenants of the modern cougar isn't the age or the aggressiveness, though those are foundational... it's the realization that she's put her life on hold for stupid reasons for far too long, and a renewed commitment to enjoying the things life has to offer from here on out. Usually there's a divorce in the recent past, and some sowing of wild oats, but mostly it's just not putting up with crap anymore.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Alright, guys, take it to GD. Or something.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

That's a fair cop.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Apologies, Autarch.
cedar
Stonedownor

Post by cedar »

Grandson's firebow. (forget the boots...heh)

cedar
Stonedownor

Post by cedar »

For some reason I can't see the Stories thread now. But I've been having some critical errors for the Watch as well so...

I will temporarily post this here until I can see the stories thread again.\

Gosh....I wonder how tall...

"Grandson!"

At the call from his Grandfather the boy was torn away from his beloved Tree. He rolled and fell from his favorite ledge, the one with an uncluttered view of the sky. The light was dim, filtered through the cedars outside the stone walls. A sandy beach ran to the small lake from which the Stump rose. As he strolled down to his lashed canoe, the boy sensed or felt the return of the influence exerted from the Stump. Recently the boy had noticed how he could now put the sense of thinness to the back of his mind. It still took much effort, but like acquiring any new skill the more he moved the static noise, the easier the pushing was. He hadn't mentioned the sensation to his Grandfather, but the old man had noticed. In the boy's eyes was the timeless deep, the first sign the boy had given that he could be destined for more.

As the canoe sank into the soft white sand, out strolled the Grandfather from the temple within the Stump. He was holding a long cedar drawknife and a birchbark pail. From head to toe, the old man was covered in thick splotches of something black, shiny and smelling thickly of spice. Or rot. A huge grin was plastered on the wrinkled visage as he motioned the boy into the temple. "Grandson! You have good timing. Come, I want to show you something."

Candles infused with cedar oil dimly lit the interior of the old-growth stump, spaced evenly around the rippling walls of blackened wood. The boy immediately noticed something different about the walls. They were still black but...they shined. The candlelight reflected off every surface of the wood as if they were wet. At once the thinness broke loose of his partitioned mind. Colors were thick on his tongue, sounds were bright in his eyes. The world violently shifted focus as the sensation threatened to break the young mind. With an effort that took a seeming infinity but was really only a moment, the boy locked the feeling back into place. "I am glad you noticed, Grandson! Yes the walls are what I wished to show you. Last night our totem, the great Shalish, visited me in a dream. He showed me that..." The Grandson interrupted, "...that the wood of the Stump would grow a thick mold, a powerful healer, and it was called treacle."

The silence inside the Stump was heavy.

Slowly the Grandfather asked his son, "How did you know Grandson? Were you visited by the Shalish as well?"
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Yeah, I'm not seeing the thread either. Very strange. Av?
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Uh, I can see it...just posted in it. Back?

--A
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Yeah, I see it again, now that you've posted in it.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Although it was also missing for me earlier, I saw the stories thread last night before I went to sleep. Cedar's story had been moved in to it, so my assumption is the Autarch was able to see it as well at that point.

About the same time the stories thread vanished, I saw a post by Jenn in Gen Disc asking what happened to the how do you feel thread. That is currently showing for me as well, but perhaps it had also disappeared for a while?
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

*whew*

glad that wasn't me... heh
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Results are out. I'll post the new Trial tomorrow.
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Wow...

Return to “Acropolis”