Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

More Vile-related theorizing

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

In Fatal Revenant (pg. 33), SRD wrote:
"Yet a shadow had already fallen upon them [the Viles]," Cail's son continued, "like and unlike the shadow upon the hearts of the Elohim." [emphasis added]
And Infelice explains (pg. 576) that
Spoiler
those from reality outside the Land's universe are the shadow.
The Law is the essence of the Land's universe. If the Viles, or their spawn, are un-Lawful, then their essence is not the essence of the Land's universe. Is it the essence of another reality instead? I'm becoming fairly confident that it is.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Well, I think the Elo are lying about their shadow [or at least badly mistaken]...
But on topic...that's a nifty idea, them being the essential "nature" of a different kind of creation/universe, and it wouldn't be out of place...we already have at least three...TC world/Land/Creator-realm.
I'm pretty sure it's a story that will never be told, sadly. [either what it is like their, or how they got here].
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

I think I'm wrong about the Viles originating elsewhere altogether, since on FR pg. 226 it reads:
Fragments of the One Forest's lost soul.
And this seems to describe the Viles.

Now it might be that some other world's power flowed into the "fragments" and that's how the Viles got started, or the Viles learned somehow about other worlds and developed their magic accordingly. Or else, if the Viles/Vain/et. al. are a heavily coded metaphor for being gay (as it seems to me with respect to Vain at least, anyway), maybe they just felt "different" all along, were corrupted to self-hatred by the Ravers owing to this difference, but now the ur-viles realize that being different is okay: there is, or can be, a world out there where they're normal, Law-ful, and by integrating Vain into the Staff that allows for transworld summoning, maybe they'll be able to send themselves (through the Staff's power) to that better place.

And maybe while the Land's Earth dies, they'll save (some of) the rest of the people from there by taking those with them?

Return to “Fatal Revenant”