Acropolis Discussion

Moderator: [Syl]

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Menolly wrote: That is currently showing for me as well, but perhaps it had also disappeared for a while?
It did.

I accessed it via the stats as one of the top 20 topics, posted, and it came back.

WTF?

I'm gonna mail Vain I think.

--A
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Excellent! Thanks, Syl. You had me worried. :lol:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

It looks like that instead of quoting the first post in the Trials thread for a template, I edited it. Thanks to stupid f'ing IE (teach me to do this at work on my lunch break), I can't retrieve the old first Trial. So just use the new one at the top of the page.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Just so I can prioritize which I work on first, the trial or the actual turn submission, when's the regular turn deadline?
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

The 1st.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Normally, I'm the enabler. But this time, [Syl] is. Kudos!
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

-George Steiner
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

"Blah!" I say. That whole discussion assumes that the soul is nothing more than the transient pattern of "personhood" present in a body during the period most commonly described as "life". The whole issue with having to define "dead" comes from being unable to define a soul, and then being unable to describe when the soul does or does not inhabit the body.

Which... in game terms... why do I presume that there is such a thing as a soul? Or that the soul defines life? So many other options exist, and rejecting the premise of that article might allow me to consider whole other paradigms of life and death.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Goatkiller666 wrote:...whole other paradigms of life and death.
I like that. :D Nice turn of phrase.

--A
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Don't encourage him, Av.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Thank you goat. I finally got a good one. :D
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
cedar
Stonedownor

Post by cedar »

For this trial I was heavily influenced by the author AA Attanasio.

Tried to keep it simple since I'll have a chance to write a longer story later. Nonfiction isn't my strong point. heh
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

OK, I'm a bit disappointed that there are only two entries, though my thanks to the two contributors. Considering how much of the game I am trying to build by using the Trials, I just don't think that will work. So it's time to change things up.

Starting with the current Trial, all Trials are now mandatory. One turn will consist of the Trial, another of a regular turn submission (1 month game time to two months real time). Players who do not contribute to Trials will be penalized by a reduction in stats, while the best Trial entrant, as judged by me, will be rewarded, including receiving any forfeited stats.

So, one more week to present your ideas about death and the afterlife. Try to answer questions about these two subjects that a primitive people might ask or at least understand. Provide details and examples. Make a story of it if you can, and please use the origination myth as a starting off point.

Deadline for this phase moved up one week, so 11:59 PM EST.
-George Steiner
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

You know darned well I've never won a single one of these contests in any game. I think I came in third once.

But more than that, why must every deity be a death deity? I didn't have that in mind at any point, and really don't want it. Thor and Apollo weren't death gods, eh?
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

It's not a contest; it's a trial. ;) And if you don't think I judge your regular submissions... :mrgreen:

I'm not asking you to be a 'death deity.' What I am asking you to do is consider that death touches upon all aspects of mortal life and being representative of both a part of what it means to be human (via collaborative mythology) and a fictional people who will look to your guidance concerning the afterlife, you should help define what that means.

While we're not at that stage yet, you do not have to take on a role to be a participant. You could simply be a voice of opposition or agreement to another's. You could talk about a tangential role (such as dictating to your people the rules or reasons for interment or whatever).

Apollo's a good example, actually. Besides being the sun god, he was also the god of disease and healing, both of which are important aspects of living/dying. And according to Wikipedia, he's also responsible for making crows black and the announcers of important deaths.
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

My apologies, Autarch. I have absolutely no ideas for fulfilling the current Trial, and struggled with the ones I entered.

I hate to do this, but now that doing these is mandatory, please remove Serenity from the game.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

There are as many models of the afterlife as there are cultures. Hundreds, if not thousands. Hell, more than that if you count fiction. For instance, Pern appears to have some kind of afterlife, as revealed by a quick Google, in the short story "Beyond Between." It's not like I've ever stressed the importance of originality. Quite the opposite.

But if you can't be bothered to find something and steal it...
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

The Autarch wrote:There are as many models of the afterlife as there are cultures. Hundreds, if not thousands. Hell, more than that if you count fiction. For instance, Pern appears to have some kind of afterlife, as revealed by a quick Google, in the short story "Beyond Between." It's not like I've ever stressed the importance of originality. Quite the opposite.
Yes, there is that for those who do jump between.
The Autarch wrote:But if you can't be bothered to find something and steal it...
How to explain this?

Ever since my initial foray in to these games, with cho's blatant rip-off of Pern in the first age of Pantheon, I have tried to set a goal for myself of not stealing other ideas. At least, not from literature and not being aware I am doing so. Not having read certain series that others seem to draw upon a lot, I can't say if ideas I thought were original to me are known elsewhere, but I really have tried to play that way.

But this particular trial is even more than that, being multi-stepped. The trials generally are already a struggle for me, as I stated above. I had specifically chosen to not even attempt this one, and play without the rewards offered.

If the trials are going to evolve in difficulty even more, and be mandatory, I think it is best I withdraw now.

Thank you for an awesome game. Should you ever develop the Eiran-based generation ship game, I look forward to seeing the rules and deciding whether to play based on what you come up with.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

You say that as if stealing an idea is a bad thing. I've said before to look to my signature quote to understand my feelings on the issue. I've quoted Donaldson quoting, "Poor authors borrow. Good authors steal."

I'm also not seeing a big difference between cho, Virelai, and Lauren. They're all aspects of Menolly from the Harper Halls of Pern, yes? And that's not really a bad thing in my book. If anything, I think Serenity is your biggest stretch, and you seem to be quitting because you think it's too hard.

Really, it's not. It's as simple as finding something you think is cool and/or useful, tweaking it to suit your needs or mood, and running with it. You don't need to reinvent the wheel by writing a new Dianetics for Gamers.

But whatever. I'm not going to hold your hand through it, nor will I be holding my breath waiting for you to judge my next game worthy of your appearance.
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Mmm...

You got a point about Laurel. She is drawing a lot on Harper Hall culture to give her back story for what knowledge she tries to pass on to the villagers. Virelai I don't remember doing such with, but I may have here and there.

But I'm not complaining about the warnings and such Serenity has received in her results; even though I need to redo my approach to what I visualized for the game. I am saying I chose not to take part in the current trial, and the fact that they are now mandatory is enough for me to choose to withdraw.

I do not mean to offend when I say I am looking forward to seeing the rules for the new game and see if I choose to play. I just don't want to commit and ask to be withdrawn again for similar reasons.

Return to “Acropolis”