What are you reading in general?

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Well, I was over at Amazon anyhow... Is it "Semiotics and the Philosophy of Language"? Haven't read that one. I've only read "The Name of the Rose" and "Foucault's Pendulum". I'd heard good things about "The Island of the Day Before," but I don't think I ever read it.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Who's on Goodreads here?
The King has one more move.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

caamora wrote:Who's on Goodreads here?
:wave: But I think we're already friends there, aren't we? Looks like I've got a few other Watchers as friends, too. But I'll let 'em speak for themselves. 8)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I am, but, uh, I've never actually gone to the site or used it or anything. Somebody invited me. Maybe Ali.

Name of the Rose is my favourite actually. The only thing that bugs me is he assumes you speak at least 5 classical languages. :lol: I used to phone my grandmother for translations. :D

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

aliantha wrote:Well, I was over at Amazon anyhow... Is it "Semiotics and the Philosophy of Language"? Haven't read that one. I've only read "The Name of the Rose" and "Foucault's Pendulum". I'd heard good things about "The Island of the Day Before," but I don't think I ever read it.
No Ali, the one I was thinking off was "The Search for the Perfect Language" (Trans. J Fentress, Blackwell Press 1995). This is a difficult but truly fascinating book - can't recomend it enough. It delves into the idea of an original 'Adamaic' Language revealed by God in the Garden of Eden. When Adam undertook the naming of things he did so in a perfect (ie divine) language whereby the 'essential essence' of everything was imediately apparent in the name it was given (sort of like the EarthSight in the Land in a way). This perfect language was lost in the 'confusion of tounges' that occured at Babel, and the search to rediscover/reinvent this language is ongoing with such attempts as espiranto etc.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Av, if I invited you, I don't think it was deliberate. :lol: I'm pretty sure I've never actively searched for any Watchers there. Sometimes Goodreads will troll my Facebook friends and try to link me up with them on GR, but I know you're not on FB.

(BTW, it's entertaining to watch indie authors in book-selling mode try to figure out how to market their books on Goodreads. They almost never want to put in the time to actually participate in any discussions -- they just want to post info about their books. Which doesn't work there. :lol:)

EZ Board Survivor

Cleburne
Bloodguard

Post by Cleburne »

Re-reading Feast of Crows and re-read Jordon/Sanderson last Wheel of Time book hopefully wont have to wait to long for the next installment.
A lie well told and told often enough,I'm damned if the truth will ever catch up with it!
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Cleburne wrote:Re-reading Feast of Crows and re-read Jordon/Sanderson last Wheel of Time book hopefully wont have to wait to long for the next installment.

So, are you talking about the next installment in the Wheel of Time, or a Song of Ice and Fire? ;)
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Cleburne
Bloodguard

Post by Cleburne »

Orlion wrote:
Cleburne wrote:Re-reading Feast of Crows and re-read Jordon/Sanderson last Wheel of Time book hopefully wont have to wait to long for the next installment.

So, are you talking about the next installment in the Wheel of Time, or a Song of Ice and Fire? ;)
Sorry Orlion I was talking about both of them but at present Song of ice and Fire is what I,m re reading , even though I,m more interested in the Wheel of time and how that will finish.
A lie well told and told often enough,I'm damned if the truth will ever catch up with it!
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Cleburne wrote:
Orlion wrote:

Sorry Orlion I was talking about both of them but at present Song of ice and Fire is what I,m re reading , even though I,m more interested in the Wheel of time and how that will finish.
Well, you'll be happy to know at least that Sanderson is working on the last draft of the last novel in the Wheel of Time Sequence, and that it has a publication date of January 2013, I believe.

Martin makes no such promises and merely says that he 'has a lot of work to do.' He has also decided to call Winds of Winter 'Son of Kong'... soooo....
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

peter wrote:Fair comment DOTD. The Name of the Rose and Foucalts Pendulum were two great novels.
I was kind of harsh, I admit. Those two above are the books of his I have read, and what my comments are based on. I think I feel harshly toward him because there is potential greatness in his writing, but somewhere along the line, he chokes. I was almost embarrassed by the climax of Foucalt's Pendulum. I felt manipulated and hung out to dry. The same for Rose only at least I cared about the characters more. I guess if the books just weren't any good, I wouldn't have cared, but I was actually disgusted and bitter. I guess that shows the guy's got something: I was emotionally involved. :P
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener

Post by Avatar »

Orlion wrote:...a publication date of January 2013, I believe.
About bloody time. (Say, take it to Gen sci-fi. ;) )

--A
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

aliantha wrote:
:wave: But I think we're already friends there, aren't we? Looks like I've got a few other Watchers as friends, too. But I'll let 'em speak for themselves. 8)
I'm around, though mainly semi-regularly. Wouldn't mind some new friends. :lol:
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Frostheart wrote:
aliantha wrote:
PM me your name there and I'll look you up. :)

EZ Board Survivor

Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

aliantha wrote:
Frostheart wrote:
aliantha wrote: :wave: But I think we're already friends there, aren't we? Looks like I've got a few other Watchers as friends, too. But I'll let 'em speak for themselves. 8)
PM me your name there and I'll look you up. :)
I think I found you already. :lol:

Post by Avatar »

Cornwell's Azincourt.

--A

Post by Avatar »

Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George.

GF told me it wasn't bad.

--A

Post by Avatar »

Damn, ^that one^ dragged. It was ok I guess, but very slow somehow. Only picked up in the last 200 pages or so.

Took me like 9 days to read it. Not that I rushed.

--A
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

I just finished Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. It is the autobiography of Louis Zamperini. He was an Olympic runner in the late 30's and 40's. He was shot down over the Pacific, spent 47 days on a raft and 4 years in Japanese prison camps. I just finished it. I cried for about an hour. What an amazing story. The guy is still alive. What a man. Really inspiring.
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.

Post by Avatar »

Mary, Queen of Scotland And The Isles by Margaret George.

Not too far in, but it's already better paced than Cleopatra.

--A

Return to “General Literature Discussion”