The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

Souricette
Servant of the Land

French version?

Post by Souricette »

Hello Gap fellows.

I am really frustrated...

A few years ago, I purchased the first 3 books in France - and I was captivated.
Then I was checking regularly for the next tome to be printed, but time was passing, passing... And I forgot to continue to check.

Recently, I just re-discovered these 3 books, and I re-read them with the same interest and the same passion - impatient this time to find the 2 missing tomes, to know the end of the story. But my search to find the 2 last tomes in french failed... Apparently, they were never translated, nor printed.

Am I correct thinking that, or did I miss a new edition? Is there any plan to have them published one day, or should I purchase the english version to have my frustration cancelled - even if my english may make it hard to read it?

Thanks for your attention,
Daniel
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Welcome to the Watch Souricette.

Afraid I'm not aware whether or not the last 2 books have been published in French.

Perhaps one of our other members can assist.

Welcome nonetheless, hope we see more of you. (But beware of spoilers in this forum.)

--A
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

Welcome, Souricette, hope you'll stay for some time :bestwishes: From what I gathered, looks like it did end on the 3rd. www.noosfere.com/icarus/livres/serie.asp?numserie=1851 fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_R._Donaldson

If this may work as a consolation, I think reading any SRD's books translated should be avoided given any possibility. No translation passes the inimitable beauty of his language, and most fail to try well even.

For instance, the translation of one of the titles "A Dark and Hungry God Arises" - "L'Éveil du Dieu Noir". If I'm not mistaken, "Noir" is black, not dark, "Éveil" is more like awakening, waking, (well, not really that far), enlightenment (wow :)), arousal (I wonder if it implies in French the same as in English), but that perhaps may be, and people should just block the mental images that try to arise... But just where did the "Hungry" go? Did he perhaps take a stop in some nice French restaurant to get a feast with the translators, or on them? :twisted:
A role-player, beware
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Too bad. I liked the cover art on La Véritable histoire:

Post by Avatar »

Agreed, that's pretty good.

And I dunno Eff, I could get "A Dark God Awakens" from that. But in general, yes, the translation always suffers. One only has to look at ol' Briny the Pirate or whatever it was. :lol:

Read 'em all in English, Souricette. It's worth it.

--A
Souricette
Servant of the Land

Post by Souricette »

Hello all and thanks for your answers.

In theory, you are completely right - the translation may dramatically alter the spirit of a story, when done by unwise people.

But I tend to think that the people whose work is to do this translation job have better knowledge in english than I could have - and I'm afraid that my understanding of the text in english may be worse than reading even a poor translation!

But since apparently, there is no choice... I understand much better english than german, so I'll probably purchase the english version - at least, I'm sure that my children will not come and borrow it without asking! :)

Thanks again for your attention,
Daniel

Post by Avatar »

No worries.

Stick around and join in...plenty to discuss and think about here. ;)

--A

Return to “The Gap Series”