The Man Who Killed His Brother Chapter 4

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

W.B.
<i>Elohim</i>

The Man Who Killed His Brother Chapter 4

Post by W.B. »

Chapter 4

When last we left our heros...

Ginny and Brew both know (without speaking) their next stop has to be Lorna's house, where Ginny picks up the note Alathea left since she is "better at this kind of thing." Brew is anticipating another withdrawl crisis, besides. The notes are on the same kind of paper, but not torn from the same sheet, which, as Ginny pedantically points out, doesn't prove anything.

They pay a call to the Missing Persons Department of the police, giving Brew a chance to feel uncomfortable, as most of the force knows who he is. Again, the new municipal building housing the police fits in with the general unpleasant architectural theme of the city. Almost nothing, ever, is comfortable.
From the outside, it looks like a country club for millionaires. An ordinary citizen can no more walk in there and feel comfortable than fly to the moon. All those fountains and flower beds might've been a good idea, but unfortunately the main part of the building hands over the fountains and flowers and walkways. A square mountain of white concrete leans on the back of your neck--from some angles you can't even see what holds it up--so by the time you get to the doors and start climbing to wherever you have to go, you already feel intimidated.
In addition to the general oppresiveness that pervades much of the city, it foreshadows the general attitude, particularly among Chicanos, that regular people are unlikely, in Puerta del Sol, to find help.

Inside, Ginny questions Sgt. Encino in her businesslike, no-nonsense way. Encino seems unreachable, his eyes "sad, world-weary, and arrogant." He repeats the fact that nothing can be done unless a complaint is filed against Alathea, and Ginny argues, unsuccessfully.
With just a hint of sarcasm, Ginny said, "You assume she ran away."

"Why not? As I have said, the city is big. Girls disappear each week..."
Ginny pulls her ace and brings up that Carol Christie was found dead under very similar circumstances, but Encino stonewalls her, though he does let drop that Detective-Ltd. Acton is on the Christie case. Ginny makes the significant point that
"The Christies don't want people to know what really happened to their daughter, so the cops clamp a lid on it. Having money is good for something after all. I just wonder what you and Acton are getting out of it."
and Encino, rattled, calls Ginny a dirty name (rusty high school Spanish is actually useful with this book :) ). Brew's immediate response is to attempt a little physical intimidation ("I was going to knot my fist in the front of his nice blue uniform and shake him up good") but Ginny elbows. Not only is she a tough, independent woman, but she really elbows him in earnest ("an elbow that almost caved in my ribs").

The interview concludes with Encino's social commentary on the different way in which disappearances of Anglo and Chicano girls are handled, the contrast between the two cultures being a recurring issue in the book.
"If a Chicano girl runs away, and the mother asks for help, you Anglos say, 'What do you expect? Look for her in the brothels.' And if that Chicano girl is found dead, then the papers print every rumor they hear about her, true or false."
Brew is still fuming, but he understands the point, since he has spend a lot of time in the old, Chicano part of town, and Ginny makes her moral point, also
"I work for whoever asks me.... I don't have any control over who asks. I just take what they as and give it my best."
Brew again demonstrates his knowledge of Chicano culture and translates the insult for Ginny, at which point Ginny's tough-woman response gives Brew a"wild urge" to kiss her, but unfortunately for him, they step out into the sunlight and "suddenly my head was reeling for a drink." It's explained that his is the second of what'll probably be three major crisies. Brew retains his stubborn air of un-help-ability; though he's standing still in the parking lot "with the sun in my eyes and my brain aching" (again, the sun), he believes she can't do anything to help him.
"She'd done everything anybody could do when she came looking for me in the first place."
Though he's in a pretty abject state, and he's previously relinquished his dignity, this time he doesn't let Ginny stay with him, and he doesn't want to go with her to question Alathea's friends.
I said it again. "Take me home."

"Brew," she whispered, "I don't want to leave you alone."

With an effort, I pulled my hands off my face. I must've looked pretty fierce, because she winced. "I want to be alone. It's bad enough when I'm alone. This morning was easy. It's going to get worse. Do you think I like being this danger-- Whoops :)--Do you think I like having you watch me fall apart?"

That reached her. It didn't ease the tight worry in her face, but it got me what I wanted. She took me home.
Ginny is concerned, but Brew, having trouble accepting assistance, convinces her to leave, and she leaves. "A minute after that, I wanted to cry out Ginny! Once night falls Brew revives enough to stumble out and head to the old part of town. The final sentence made me wonder if Brew is out to get a drink...

The main thing about this chapter that I'll point out, aside from the plot point that Christie's death is being hushed up, is the divide between the Anglo and Chicano worlds. The line describing Encino's eyes pretty much sums up how they're portrayed. And of course there's the continuing ambivalent relationship between Ginny and Brew, and Brew's determination to try to deal with his "messes" himself, though he's in about as abject a state as he's been in thus far.

Oh, and some withdrawl imagery:
By the time she got me up to my apartment, the pressure in my skull was squeezing sweat out of my face like beads of thirst
...red-hot bugs crawling along my nerves, ticks and chiggers and cockroaches of need..."
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

I enjoy reading your comments on the architecture, W.B. You get a lot more out of it than I do. :)

I see that Nick Succorso sneaked in when we weren't looking:
Brew wrote:Then she grinned -- a shark's grin, eager and dangerous.
Except that Nick, even in his best moments, would never have helped a drunk dry out. He would have had a grin to offer, for the pleasure of watching Brew's degradation.

Here's a point that was allowed to dangle after SRD used it to establish suspense:
Brew wrote:...anything that could worry John Christie would probably frighten Lona to death.
We don't hear any more about that, at least in this chapter. Brew is too busy reacting subjectively to their time in the police department.

Sergeant Encino doesn't make a very good first impression. It shows that SRD and Brew are willing to learn about people gradually, in addition to Brew's lightning strikes of intuition. Personally, I think it would have been more in character for Encino to at least glance at the two notes from the missing girls, if he is a good cop frustrated at not being allowed to do his job.
W.B. wrote:The final sentence made me wonder if Brew is out to get a drink...
I agree -- and I'm sure it was meant to sound this way -- it sounds like Brew is headed for a drink. But after all the agony of withdrawal he has sat through already?
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
W.B.
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by W.B. »

Sergeant Encino doesn't make a very good first impression.
I had a similar reaction. By dismissing the case Ginny brings to him out-of-hand he places his own prejudices, right or wrong, above the welfare of individuals. So his character is ambivalent. Is there anyone about which you can feel entirely one way or the other?
But after all the agony of withdrawal he has sat through already?
I think he might have gone to get one if he hadn't had a case and an idea of how to help on it. But then, if he hadn't had a case, he would never have stopped in the first chapter. Seems if he's not working, he's drinking, which makes Ginny's role in his life all the more important. As long as he can think about someone else's pain or need he can fight his own alcoholism, finding strength motivated by others' weakness and need.

There's also another sort of idea in TCTC and this that I haven't really found a perfect quotable instance of, but of the agency of guilt, in as much as it motivates a character like Brew, and also very much frames his point of view (the book's title even tells readers this).
kastenessen
Giantfriend

Post by kastenessen »

Great lead-in again W.B. 8) The chapters are short but as Joy said, you get a lot out of them...

[b]Joy wrote:[/b]
[quote]Sergeant Encino doesn't make a good first impression. It shows that SRD and Brew are willing to learn about people gradually, in addition to Brew's lighting strikes of intuition. Personally, I think it would have more in charachter for Encino to at least glance at the two notes from the missing girls, if he is a good cop frustrated at not being allowed to do his job.[/quote]

I agree. Encino doesn't seem to care about the messages. I went: Come on! Don't you see they are important. At once SRD recieves a response from us readers.

[b]W.B. wrote:[/b]
[quote]Is there anyone about which you can feel entirely one way or another?[/quote]

Probably not. Characters in SRD's stories are like open books. They are fully realised but never obvious in their actions. During the course of the story, things happen that creates responses to other peoples actions. We cannot tell beforehand what outcome will follow of a course taken. (Well, this is a sign of a good story, isn't it?) This is especially the case with Brew. (Don't know if I'm really clear here?)Joy said that Brew and SRD are willing to learn about people gradually. So are we, we must follow the story's meandering movement towards it's end so we come to realise more of it's characters. I guess this is the driving force in SRD,s writing; unfulfillment within charachter who, during the course of the story, is learning to come to terms with himself. (Now, this sounded pretentious didn't it?)...Anyway... And as you said W.B. that

[quote]...the agency of guilt...motivates a character like Brew...[/quote]

Yes, I also believe it is so. This applies to TC as much as it does to Brew.

Partly quoted in above posts, the last sentences in the chapter echoes of such loneliness:

[quote]Soon there were red-hot bugs crawling along my nerves, ticks and chiggers and cockroaches of need, and at one point I thought I could hear high-pitched mewling sounds coming from the vicinity of my face. But I just sat there and waited. Waited for the sun to set. Waited for the night. There was a cure for this, and I was going to get it. Never mind what I told Ginny. I was going to get it as soon as it was dark. As soon as I recovered enough control over myself to move...[/quote]

Yes here we believe Brew is going for the booze, but instead...

The opening here takes the story into a new (unknown) direction. We don't know Brew's thoughts, but we think we do...

kasten

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”