Romney 2012

Archive From The 'Tank
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Hahaha, if he was the Anti-Christ, that might actually motivate me to vote for him. (If I lived there and was eligible of course.)

I expect him to win. Dunno how close it'll be, but I think he will. Reps will probably take the one after that though.

--A
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Still Not Buying It

Post by Obi-Wan Nihilo »

I'm with Av on this one. I just can't bring myself to believe that Romney will win this thing.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:
ussusimiel wrote:I wonder how tight it's going to get?

u.
It will probably wind up being like 2000--there will be recounts and more recounts lasting into December and even when those are done half the people will think the election was "stolen".
It'll either be this or a Romney landslide. The media is so far in the bag for Obama that I don't trust that we're hearing an honest assessment of the race. Especially when I see stuff like Carville's number.

Thanks to unemployment, Obama's lost a lot of the youth vote. His peculiar stance on gay marriage has hurt him with Hispanics and evangelical blacks. The novelty of voting for the first black president is gone. He simple doesn't have the wave of enthusiasm behind him that he did 4 years ago. Romney's such a piss-poor candidate that it might not matter. On the other hand, he's been such a piss-poor president that Romney might not matter.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

The Tank is gone and now so am I.
DoctorGamgee
Bloodguard

Post by DoctorGamgee »

I am SOOOOOO stealing this!

Doc!
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Zarathustra wrote:I saw that a Carville poll had Romney up by double digits over Obama among Independents, whom many believe will decide the election.
I looked all over for that...all I found is a couple really conservative places citing it [one was Rush Limbaugh, for instance], and Real Clear Politics has it linked...but all the links are dead, the poll itself is nowhere. It doesn't exist even at Carville's site. I'd really like to see it.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

This will probably not meet the Republican criteria of "not convicted of a crime", and so will not be considered an issue.

This is about Ryan reporting his marathon time as 2:50:something when it was 4:01:25, as indicative of his overall honesty.
CNN wrote:What Ryan's marathon 'Oops' tells us (Opinion)

[...] And yet -- no. No, no, no, no, no. There is no possible explanation for a four-hour marathoner claming he's a three-hour marathoner. None. Zero. Nilch.

Having been a runner for the last 32 years, and having competed for a season of track and cross country at the University of Delaware (I was arguably one of the nation's worst 100 Division I runners), and having completed 11 marathons, I can tell you -- with 100% certainty -- that when Paul Ryan says (more or less), "Oops, simple mistake," he is full of it.

For those of you who don't run, a 4:01 marathoner insisting he broke three hours is the equivalent of a .220 hitter speaking of a .310 average. It's a retired small-town mayor looking back at his time as a U.S. senator; a dive-bar rock band bragging of once opening for KISS at Madison Square Garden. In this world of ours, there are exaggerations ("She looked just like Halle Berry!"), there are boasts ("Hell, gimme a week in the pool and I'll destroy Michael Phelps!") and there are flat-out, straight-up, no-holds-barred lies.

This is a flat-out, straight-up, no-holds-barred lie.

Of course, in and of itself, perhaps Ryan's fib isn't such a big deal. The world is filled with once-upon-a-time jocks recalling glory that, truth be told, wasn't all that glorious. (Isn't this what high school reunions are made for?)

But when it comes to Wisconsin's favorite son, a lie -- in this case about a marathon time --isn't such an isolated occurrence. In case you missed the Republican convention, Ryan's speech was an unambiguous ode to mistruth. Among other dandies, he ripped the president for ignoring the Simpson-Bowles commission recommendations -- even though Ryan voted against its final report; claimed the American people were "cut out" of stimulus spending when, actually, more than a quarter of all stimulus dollars went for tax relief for workers.

[...]Truth be told, there's no shame in being average.

There's only shame in refusing to accept it.
Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

The mere fact that a candidate would think it beneficial to flaunt his sporting achievements is saying a lot about the average american voter.

That he is (apparently) also lying only makes it pathetic.
"I would have gone to the thesaurus for a more erudite word."
-Hashi Lebwohl
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I'm sure we all remember exact times and scores from events we competed in 22 years ago.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

We all lull ourselves into beliving that we are better than we really are. A lie that you tell yourself grows every time you tell it. You lie by slight increments so it doesn't actually feel like a lie. Fuck his actual time. The interesting thing is that his running is even an issue.
-Hashi Lebwohl
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Prebe wrote:We all lull ourselves into beliving that we are better than we really are. A lie that you tell yourself grows every time you tell it. You lie by slight increments so it doesn't actually feel like a lie. Fuck his actual time. The interesting thing is that his running is even an issue.
Oh I don't think it is an issue for anyone other than those looking for a "gotcha".
Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

I'm assuming (I may be wrong) that his athletic prowess was brought up either by himself or a spin-doctor to further his cause?
-Hashi Lebwohl
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

It came up in an interview I think. I dunno, it's really not important to me.
Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

And yet you feel compelled to take up the discussion.

As did I, mind you.

And it is (if possible) even less important to me ;-)
-Hashi Lebwohl
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Cail wrote:I'm sure we all remember exact times and scores from events we competed in 22 years ago.
If you've run a marathon, and haven't suffered a serious brain injury/memory illness, particularly if you've only run ONE in your entire life, you do NOT mistake a time over four hours for a time under 3. I don't care if you've run HUNDREDS, you won't mistake a time of 3and one millisecond for a 2:59.99999999999. if you've only been under 3 one time.

But ya know, I would just consider it a "gotta find a gotcha" from the opponents...but all other things considered, I used to think Ryan was honest even if I thought him wrong on everything. Now I'm starting to think he's a complete weasel.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

All I know about Ryan is his budget plan wasn't a good one. But really, marathon times? Unbelievable.
--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Vraith wrote:
Cail wrote:I'm sure we all remember exact times and scores from events we competed in 22 years ago.
If you've run a marathon, and haven't suffered a serious brain injury/memory illness, particularly if you've only run ONE in your entire life, you do NOT mistake a time over four hours for a time under 3. I don't care if you've run HUNDREDS, you won't mistake a time of 3and one millisecond for a 2:59.99999999999. if you've only been under 3 one time.

But ya know, I would just consider it a "gotta find a gotcha" from the opponents...but all other things considered, I used to think Ryan was honest even if I thought him wrong on everything. Now I'm starting to think he's a complete weasel.
I've competed in one marathon and one triathlon. Couldn't tell you with any certainty what my times were without looking them up. Hell, I ran track for 4 years in high school and couldn't tell you any of my times from those races (and I won a bunch of them). Can't remember my golf handicap either, nor my best score.

It's a fucking marathon time from 22 years ago. Who gives a shit?
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Still Not Buying It

Post by Obi-Wan Nihilo »

Nobody that isn't trying to convince themselves that the republicans are the debil.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Don Exnihilote wrote:Nobody that isn't trying to convince themselves that the republicans are the debil.
Well that must be so......Bobby Boucher's mamma told me they was da debil.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Cail wrote:
Don Exnihilote wrote:Nobody that isn't trying to convince themselves that the republicans are the debil.
Well that must be so......Bobby Boucher's mamma told me they was da debil.
Yea, that's it. I said by itself it's nothing. When it's a pattern/who you are/how you do business, it's something.
[like 'ole "I didn't inhale," but if you find out he was dealing on the street, it's something else.]
If you don't recall your marathon time, then I guarantee it wasn't under 3. If your golf game was as good as his marathon claim you wouldn't HAVE a handicap. You'd probably be a club pro. [depending on the club, of course].

Return to “Coercri”