What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Lady Revel wrote:Hello! Hello! It is nice to meet all of you! :D

The later Feist books are not nearly as good as the early ones, I must admit....but I do enjoy getting my dose of Pug. I am about halfway into this book, though....and well, I haven't really picked out a storyline. Things are happening, but I am not sure why the main characters are so alarmed, and doing what they are doing. I will let you know if it improves.

I feel about Feist the way others feel about Jordan. Not as interested as I used to be, but I need to know what is going on, because I have made it this far. I feel that way about the WOT, too. Although, I must confess I haven't picked up a memory of light....I am waiting for the softcover version. Or maybe a trip to the library.
Ah, my suspicions confirmed. I'm waiting to maybe catch up on both Feist and Jordon til I'm caught up more on the stuff I really want to check out. Which won't be anytime soon. There's Cook and Rothfuss and Sanderson and Bakker and....yeah. No time soon. :lol:
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

The Empire books are the best. They run concurrently with the RiftWar books, which I also love.

I enjoyed the Krondor interludes largely, and the SerpentWar series. And then I stopped.

I tried one of the later ones and didn't really enjoy it, so I stopped worrying about it.

The reason I didn't go on, (like I did with Jordan, aMoL is pretty good by the way, and at least the Trade Paperback is out), was because I could imagine the storyline finished. I'll probably catch up on all the later ones at some point, but I don't have a driving urge to.

--A
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I loved the Empire books, though it's been ages since I last read them. I have a cat named after one of the characters.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Sorus wrote:I loved the Empire books, though it's been ages since I last read them. I have a cat named after one of the characters.
Tasaio of the Minwanabi is some name for a moggy :lol: Must be some evil jaguna of a cat :twisted:

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Haha, no. She's Mara. I adopted 4 cats between 2000-2001 - Mara, Nimitz (David Weber reference), Jherek (Michael Moorcock reference), and Nimue (Arthurian legend reference). I lost Nimitz to cancer a couple of years ago, and adopted Min, whose full name is mainly from the Gap, but also contains references to Harry Potter and Star Trek.

Geek Badge, I has it.

Thread Derailment, I does it.

Redshirts, I'm reading it.

ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ussusimiel »

Sorus wrote:Haha, no. She's Mara. I adopted 4 cats between 2000-2001 - Mara, Nimitz (David Weber reference), Jherek (Michael Moorcock reference), and Nimue (Arthurian legend reference). I lost Nimitz to cancer a couple of years ago, and adopted Min, whose full name is mainly from the Gap, but also contains references to Harry Potter and Star Trek.

Geek Badge, I has it.

Thread Derailment, I does it.

Redshirts, I'm reading it.
This is a good thread to derail 'cos it's easy to bring back on topic :lol:

I get the Nimue reference from the Weber books, but not the Nimitz one (I've only read the Safehold series).

I'm not reading Redshirts at the moment due to it's price :-x

u.
Are posted on the door,
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

ussusimiel wrote:

u.
BOYCOTT!!! :P
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ussusimiel »

Orlion wrote:
ussusimiel wrote:

u.
BOYCOTT!!! :P
Captain Boycott was noted for his redshirts :lol:

And I am not going to bow to this capitalist conspiracy to part me from my hard-earned €24.99 (or €14.69 (for the ebook!)). Me 'n Marx 'n Engels will be in the bar! :biggrin:

:yeehaa: :yeehaa: :yeehaa: :yeehaa: :yeehaa: :yeehaa: :yeehaa: :yeehaa: :yeehaa:

Comrade u.
Are posted on the door,
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I think you can still buy ebooks from a US retailer outside the US. It's $12.26 on amazon.com.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I'm Murrin wrote:I think you can still buy ebooks from a US retailer outside the US. It's $12.26 on amazon.com.
Really? You can see a price for an e-book on Amazon.com? When I go to Amazon.uk, they won't show me the prices. They scold me out of there and tell me to go take my stinkin' American Kindle back to Amazon.com where I belong. :evil:

Well, they word it a little differently. But that's the gist of it. ;)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Well I am registered on both sites, but I don't think that made a difference. My UK amazon account has never shown up on the US one or anything.

I get a little banner at the top asking if I wanted the UK site, the rest works as normal.

Maybe if you're trying to add it to a kindle account from the other region it won't let you; I've never tried it.

Edit: Better option: Waterstones.com has the ebook for £7.99. DRM free epub, not this kindle-only nonsense.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

ussusimiel wrote:
I get the Nimue reference from the Weber books, but not the Nimitz one (I've only read the Safehold series).

u.
I was on the verge of trying to correct you for having that backwards, when I Googled Safehold, which I have not read. Nimue's name is just a general Arthurian reference, not specific to any book. Nimitz was from Weber's Honor Harrington series.

I've never tried to buy an e-book from Amazon UK, but all my various Amazon accounts (US, UK, CA, DE) seem to be connected.

ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ussusimiel »

I'm Murrin wrote:Edit: Better option: Waterstones.com has the ebook for £7.99. DRM free epub, not this kindle-only nonsense.
That's better! I'm new to this ebook lark, so I presumed that all ebooks would be the same price. That's a bit of a scam that the Kindle price is 80% dearer than the EPUB version. I'll know better in future. Thanks, Murrin!
Sorus wrote:
ussusimiel wrote:

u.
I was on the verge of trying to correct you for having that backwards, when I Googled Safehold, which I have not read. Nimue's name is just a general Arthurian reference, not specific to any book. Nimitz was from Weber's Honor Harrington series.
I was wondering about that alright :lol: The Safehold series starts off well, but I was a bit disappointed with the later books. Worth a read though, especially if you are already a Weber fan.

u.
Are posted on the door,
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

u., if you've got a Kindle, you can't read an .epub file on it unless you convert it to a .mobi file. Not sure what your equipment is. (Probably missed it up above...)

However, if you're reading it on something OTHER than a Kindle, like on your phone or your computer, you should be able to download the free Nook app. That one will open an .epub file. Waterstones might even have their own app, I dunno.

(Oh brave new world... :roll: )

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Sorus wrote:Nimue's name is just a general Arthurian reference, not specific to any book.
Well, she's a character in the Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell that I'm reading now. (His take on the Arthurian legends.)

--A
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Shaun das Schaf »

aliantha wrote:u., if you've got a Kindle, you can't read an .epub file on it unless you convert it to a .mobi file. Not sure what your equipment is. (Probably missed it up above...)

However, if you're reading it on something OTHER than a Kindle, like on your phone or your computer, you should be able to download the free Nook app. That one will open an .epub file. Waterstones might even have their own app, I dunno.

(Oh brave new world... :roll: )
Calibre software works a treat converting various ebook formats to whatever you need, so long as it's another ebook obviously. You can't convert it into a cucumber or lawnmower. Sheesh u, what were you thinking?!

Ali, Amazon US always arrests me at the border too.

What am I reading? Mort, Terry Pratchett. I stalled 200 pages into Charlotte Bronte's Shirley. I believe it may be challenging to return to it the more easy-to-consume Pratchetts I consume!
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Yeah, Kindle is pretty bad for letting you read your books. It's designed to lock you into the Amazon ecosystem. Last night I went hunting for a good reader app and wound up with Aldiko for Android. Works a treat, can read pdf, epub, and mobi.
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Shaun das Schaf »

I've got Aldiko too Murrin, but you should try Moon Reader Pro. It'll read absolutely anything you throw at it and has very eye-friendly colour and light options, plus an astounding array of features, highlighting, notes, auto scroll with adjustable speed, hands free audio reader etc etc etc. Best reader app out there in my opinion. It'll also link to your calibre library (if you have one) and add the titles.
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Finished Wyrd Sisters (Sunday) and Witches Abroad (yesterday). Both enjoyable. Still like The Last Continent best though.
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Lady Revel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lady Revel »

Iolanthe.....have you read Guards! Guards! yet? I think that is my favorite Pratchett followed closely by Soul Music. :)

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”