Democracy at Work: A Cure for Capitalism

Archive From The 'Tank
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Democracy at Work: A Cure for Capitalism

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Taken from an article over at Democracy Now!, a progressive news outlet I visit frequently because they host news stories I cannot find on the major news services.. The guest in this segment is "Richard Wolff, a professor emeritus at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, now at New School University, author of a number of books, including Democracy at Work: A Cure for Capitalism".

I will ignore the discussion of Cyprus and focus on the other main point in the discussion:

AMY GOODMAN: We continue with Richard Wolff, professor emeritus of economics at University of Massachusetts, Amherst, visiting professor at New School University here in New York, does a weekly program on WBAI in New York called Economic Update every Saturday at noon. His latest book is Democracy at Work: A Cure for Capitalism. So what exactly do you mean by this?

RICHARD WOLFF: What I mean is a change in the enterprises that produce the goods and services we all depend on and provide the jobs we all need and want. I think those have to be, in a fundamental way, democratized. So let me begin in that way.

We live in a country that says it goes to war around the world to bring democracy and that its central, most important political value is democracy. If you believe that—and I am a fervent supporter of democracy, and obviously you are—you’ve named your program that way—then we ought to have democracy in the place where we as adults spend most of our time. Five out of seven days we go to work. We walk into a place where we use our brains and our muscles eight or more hours, five out of seven days. If democracy is an important value, it ought to be right there, first and foremost. But we don’t. We basically have a situation where, for most of us, we go to work in a place where the decisions that are made are made by a tiny group of people. The major shareholders who own the block of shares in our system select a board of directors, 15 to 20 people, and they make the basic decisions: what to produce, how to produce it, where to produce it, and what to do with the profits. The rest of us must live with the results of that decision.

So if that tiny group of people make a decision to close the factory in Cincinnati or the office in Atlanta and move to Shanghai, the chips fall where they may. If they decide to use a toxic technology that’s not good for the air and water but is good for the profits, they do, we live with the results. And when they decide to take the profits of their business and to give enormous pay packages to a handful of top executives and big dividend payouts to their shareholders, which of course they do, since they’re in a position to do it, and the rest of us suddenly have to take out absurd debts to get our kids through college, then that’s the inequality of income and wealth that we have in America.

So, I look at this decision-making apparatus, I say, "Why are we surprised that they make the decisions the way we do—they do?" We all live with the results, and we have no say in how those decisions are made. It’s not democratic. That’s the first thing. But the second thing is, we’re now in five years of economic crisis that indicate that way of organizing the decisions doesn’t work for the mass of people. It works for them. The stock market’s back. The profits of big corporations are back—surprise, surprise—given who makes the decisions. But we are left.

And so, for me, the solution is, let’s face this. Let’s build an option, a real choice for Americans, between working in a non-democratic, top-down-organized capitalist enterprise or in what, for lack of a better term, we can call "co-operatives," workplaces that are organized democratically. I think we’ll have less inequality of income, we will have less pollution of our environment, and we’ll have less loss of jobs out of the country, if those decisions were made by the people, as they should have been from the beginning, who will not make the kinds of decisions that got us into the mess of economic crisis that we’re in now.

AMY GOODMAN: In June, you wrote a piece, Richard Wolff, in The Guardian called "Yes, There is an Alternative to Capitalism: Mondragon Shows the Way." Mondragon, Spain’s renowned co-op where all enterprise is owned and directed by co-op members. At the Green Party’s convention last year, the keynote speaker, Gar Alperovitz, said the Mondragon model is being replicated here in the United States. I want to just turn to a clip of what Gar Alperovitz said, the professor of political economy at the University of Maryland.

GAR ALPEROVITZ: So, in Ohio, the idea of worker ownership is a bigger idea. Lots of people understand it. And in Cleveland, building on the Mondragon model—some of you know about the Mondragon model—and other ideas, there are a series of worker-owned, integrated co-ops in Cleveland in a neighborhood where the average income is $18,000 per family. And they have got these co-ops, not just standing alone, but linked together with a nonprofit corporation and a revolving fund. The idea is to build the community and worker ownership, not just make a couple workers richer, to say the least, not rich, but to build a whole community, and to use the purchasing power of hospitals and universities—tax money in there—Medicare, Medicaid, education money, buy from these guys, and build the community. That model—and it’s the greenest for—one of the things is the greenest laundry in that part of the country, that uses about a third of the heat and about a third of the electricity and about a third of the water. They’re on track now to put in more solar capacity that exists—one of the other worker-owned companies—that exists in the entire state of Ohio. These are not little, dinky co-ops.

AMY GOODMAN: That was Gar Alperovitz talking about the Mondragon model here. And when we were in Spain, Democracy Now! went to Mondragon and interviewed one of the co-operative members, and we’ll link to that at democracynow.org. But, Richard Wolff, talk about that model and what’s happening here.

RICHARD WOLFF: Well, the model of Mondragon is so interesting, not only because it’s a real co-op, where the workers make the decisions—what to produce, how, where, what to do with the profits. And just to mention one of their achievements, they have a rule that the highest-paid worker cannot get more than a maximum of eight times the lowest. In our society, it’s typical in our large corporations that the CEO gets 300 to 400 times what the lowest worker. So, for those of us that are interested in a less unequal society than what we have here in America, the lesson is, if you co-operatize your enterprise, that’s a sure route to get there. And we haven’t found any other route that is just as effective.

So, the importance of Mondragon is, they start in the middle of the 1950s with a Catholic priest, Father Arizmendi—I always have to remember it—with six workers in the north of Spain, desperately trying to overcome the unemployment there. And here we are over a half a century later. Having to compete with countless capitalist enterprises, they won that competition. Trying to grow, they have a growth record that would be the envy of any capitalist corporation. They went from six workers in 1956 to 120,000 workers today in Spain.

AMY GOODMAN: And they are making?

RICHARD WOLFF: And they are making everything. They make dishwashers. They make clothes washers. They raise rabbits on farms. They do high-tech research, together with General Motors and Microsoft as some of their partners there. They do an immense array. They’re really a family of 200 to 300 co-ops that are united within the Mondragon co-operative corporation. So they’ve shown the ability to grow. They’ve shown the ability to adapt. They’ve shown their competitive power. They have—excuse me, they’ve shown all the different ways that a corporation can develop without a top-down hierarchical, undemocratic structure. So we don’t have to choose between effectiveness, growth, job, security, and a co-operative structure. The co-operative structure can be a way to get there.

Here in the United States, we have lots of such co-ops developing. There’s one even named after Father Arizmendi in California in the Bay Area. There are six Arizmendi bakeries and coffee shops that were set up on that model. They started with one; they’re now six. Hint: They’ve grown. And you can do this. And all over the United States, there are these efforts, often done by people who want a different kind of life. They want to be in charge of their own job. They want to have a sense of control and a sense that they’re not just a drone doing the work, but they’re part of the folks who design and direct. It brings out new capacities. It makes you more happier to go to work. It’s a more satisfying job life than you would otherwise have. So I think it recommends itself on all kinds of levels.

One other example, we can learn something from a country called Italy that we admire for its cuisine and its lovely countryside. They have a law there, passed in 1985, called the Marcora Law after the name of the legislator. Here’s what it does. It offers a choice to unemployed workers. You can take a dole every week, an unemployment check, the way we do in this country, or you have an option, an option B that we don’t have. If you get at least nine other workers to make the—unemployed workers, like yourself, to make the following choice, here’s what you can get. As a lump sum, you can get your entire unemployment program of two years of checks in your hands right at the beginning; you have to have nine other workers or more, and you have to use that money as the start-up capital for a co-operative enterprise. The idea of the Italian government was, if we give workers this to set up a job and an enterprise, they will be much more committed to it than they would if they didn’t have that role.

AMY GOODMAN: How do they know they’ll do it?

RICHARD WOLFF: They don’t. But they know those workers have an incentive, because if they don’t make that work, they can’t go back and collect unemployment. That’s what they got. The government doesn’t spend much more money than it would have anyway, but it creates jobs, and it creates workers committed, because it’s their enterprise, to make that work as their personal solution and as a way not only for them to survive, but for the whole of the Italian society for the first time to see what it’s like to have an enterprise where you run the affair.

You know, here in America, we want to believe in freedom of choice. Let’s give our people freedom of choice. They can have the choice to go work in a top-down, capitalist enterprise—what we’re used to—but if we develop the alternative, really a program of co-ops around the country, then American young people and older people could say, "What would it be like to work there? Let’s see what that’s like." And then we would have the choice we do not have in this country now.
So...do you think cooperatives, corporations that are run by the employees rather than nameless and faceless investors, would be an improvement over a traditional corporation? This type of cooperative could still work exactly like a regular corporation but the employees would constitute the majority shareholder position. The employees would be much less likely to outsource manufacturing or jobs overseas and the pay structure, the maximum pay rate being 8 times the lowest pay rate, seems as if it would keep personnel costs under control and boost employee morale and productivity.

Also, what about the program in Italy he mentions? A small group of newly-unemployed people can pool the unemployment compensation they would have received over a two-year period as the startup capital for a new small business at the cost of losing the ability to receive unemployment if the venture fails. Good? Bad? I would think that these employees would be highly motivated to make their business work--not only will they have no safety net if it fails but they will now be working for themselves rather than for someone else. Who wouldn't want to "be your own boss"?

Pros? Cons? I think he has some good ideas here but I do need to look into Mondragon a little more deeply.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

I spent some time looking very loosely into Mondragon in the past. I thought it seemed like the narrative regarding their company is that they had a strong core of well-trained workers, and were very direct in trying to get into high-skilled production and the like. Apparently they went out of their way not to compete with more local businesses (and other aspects of the local economy).

I can imagine investing in something as a "buy in" in which I actually perform tasks, as opposed to organizing the performance of tasks by others, monitoring the performance, advertising the desirability of the product, etc. But that'd be a pretty big risk for someone like me, since - as I just pointed out - I probably don't know how to appraise what people want, what they can afford, whether I can get them to come to "me" for it, etc.

You noted the pay scale; they actually have hiked the wage for their (essentially, I think) executives in the past, I think to ensure they could get good and/or acceptable candidates, but I believe it is true that they try to keep the payscale much lower than a typical corporate structure.

Well it's nice to hear about them, I don't really know a lot but I always liked the way they seemed to be...
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I don't see why people shouldn't be able to form co-ops and give it a try. Let them compete. I doubt they'll do as well, but there are already plenty of companies that lag behind the leaders. A few more won't hurt.

But I don't understand why we'd expect a lot of people together to make better/greener/fairer decisions than a few people individually. CEOs and shareholders are still people. And we already have a democracy, of sorts, in the form of consumer demand. CEOs make decisions, but the marketplace (that's us) is the judge of those decisions, whether they succeed or fail. They're just giving us what we want.

Saying that this will "cure" capitalism seems misleading. First of all, you have to accept that there's something wrong with capitalism that needs "curing." I don't think CEOs making a lot of money or making most of the decisions is a disease. I think most people working at corporations are probably earning what they're worth, and contribute about all they can. I sure as hell wouldn't want to turn the company over to the jokers and losers I've worked with. Not everybody can be a chief.

You might just end up with a "tragedy of the commons" kind of situation, like when unions suck so hard at the collective teat, that they drive governments and businesses into bankruptcy.

[Edit: about this wage ratio idea ... let's say there's a company that makes extremely high-tech stuff like rockets or satellites. How could you have janitors at a company like this making 1/8th what the executives, engineers, etc. are making? You'd either have to pay the janitors more than most doctors make, or you'd have to lower the pay for people who are designing billion-dollar pieces of equipment. This is silly. There's a reason why some jobs make more than 8 times a janitor: they produce more than 1,000,000 janitors could produce together.]
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

There's a couple of assumptions about capitalism that are not necessarily correct and contribute to the current state of economy. In fact, I'd say it would make things worse if things continue as they are. The assumptions are:

1) People are paid based on their abilities and worth. This is complete BS. The current system is based more on networking than actual value. As a result, you'll get a CEO that makes a career of running companies into the ground and get paid millions to do it. In an ideal capitalist society, that CEO would never be hired as such ever again. In actual capitalist society, they get hired again to the same position. That's the example I can think of, there are others that involve lower-end skills and unions.

2) A successful business will be a blessing to the local economy. Once again, not necessarily true. Never mind questions of where the jobs are actually done or the products manufactured, many businesses have decided that the best way to show thanks to the country that allows them to exist and succeed as they do is to hoard money and store them in oversea accounts. In other words, taking and keeping money out of the US economy.

This is, of course, because it is no longer a matter of business pride, but a matter of making more and more money. People's views on finances have changed, and if we do not change the economic model along with these views, it will suck the life out of the economy just as much as poor government practice.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Hello, glad to be back first of all.....

Z,

I agree with most of what you said...although I think that the co-ops will probably do very well.

As for why they'd make better/greener/fairer decisions, the people/places affected by those decisions are right there....the potential of increasing heavy metals a few points in some creek 1200 miles away is a triviality to the VP of Central Region for Widget-Tech Inc. except as it affects the bottom line of his division of the company, something easy to simply not think about. But East Forest Precision Co-Op has Kinder Creek run through some members back yards, and they most certainly would take issue with that potential increase.

That's the scenario that comes to my mind when that question is raised.

I wholeheartedly agree that capitalism is not a pathological state in need of a "cure". But it does need some controls on it (e.g., child labor laws). We mainly (as I've said before) disagree on where exactly to draw those lines at.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Reminds me of the Anarchist syndicates in Spain in the 20's.

--A
Harbinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Harbinger »

I don't know why companies just don't split the pie evenly. It seems perfectly reasonable to pay everyone the same since everyone is a vital part of the team. Without a clean workplace, people would not be as productive. Without someone answering the phone, sales would be missed. Without people to fetch, carry, drive and deliver, goods would not make it to market.

Someone has to clean and disinfect the area before a heart transplant surgery. Without a sterile work area, the operation could fail. The rag is just as important as the scalpel and the wielders should be equally compensated.

I don't know why we can't just all get along. Hold hands and sing Kumbaya. Every member of the team crucial to the company's success. Everyone should have a fair wage. It's just not right that just because someone is in a position to make decisions that earn million dollar profits that they should be paid so much more than the person who brings them their coffee. After all, the coffee server saved time and allowed them to be more productive.
Never underestimate the power of denial. - Ricky Fitts
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Zarathustra wrote:I don't see why people shouldn't be able to form co-ops and give it a try. Let them compete. I doubt they'll do as well, but there are already plenty of companies that lag behind the leaders. A few more won't hurt.

But I don't understand why we'd expect a lot of people together to make better/greener/fairer decisions than a few people individually. CEOs and shareholders are still people. And we already have a democracy, of sorts, in the form of consumer demand. CEOs make decisions, but the marketplace (that's us) is the judge of those decisions, whether they succeed or fail. They're just giving us what we want.

[Edit: about this wage ratio idea ... let's say there's a company that makes extremely high-tech stuff like rockets or satellites. How could you have janitors at a company like this making 1/8th what the executives, engineers, etc. are making? You'd either have to pay the janitors more than most doctors make, or you'd have to lower the pay for people who are designing billion-dollar pieces of equipment. This is silly. There's a reason why some jobs make more than 8 times a janitor: they produce more than 1,000,000 janitors could produce together.]
The Italian co-op model he mentioned does seem like a really good thing--it encourages productivity and hard work since you are working for yourself.

I concur--an employee-owned company wouldn't necessarily be more "green" than a traditional corporation and its decisions wouldn't necessarily be better, except when it comes to keeping jobs here. Employees who own a company are going to be far less likely to ship their own jobs overseas; instead, they will find other ways to reduce costs and/or be more competitive.

Again, I concur--an arbitrary number fixes a false pay structure in place, meaning either the people who are really highly productive aren't getting paid what they might be worth or the people at the bottom are getting paid too much.
Of course, would it really be a bad thing to pay those janitors as much as doctors might be making? You might be surprised at what happens to productivity and morale when you pay someone triple what they might normally have been making. By the same token, why should someone who looks at reports, sits through conference calls, and gets interviewed by business magazines from time to time get paid 100 times as much as a regular person? Corporate executives do not compile the reports that lead to decisions; rather, a team of people compiled the report and the executive had his assistant give him the condensed version so he can "read" it in only 10 minutes before signing off on it. That really isn't "work" as we know it. Credit for good work always floats up; blame for poor work always rolls down.
Still...an arbitrarily-set pay scale factor imposes an unnecessary limitation on compensation, especially for a relatively small number like 8. I could see possibly making the factor 20, but that still might cause problems from time to time.

Orlion wrote:1) People are paid based on their abilities and worth. This is complete BS. The current system is based more on networking than actual value. As a result, you'll get a CEO that makes a career of running companies into the ground and get paid millions to do it. In an ideal capitalist society, that CEO would never be hired as such ever again. In actual capitalist society, they get hired again to the same position. That's the example I can think of, there are others that involve lower-end skills and unions.
I don't think anyone really thinks we always pay people what they are worth no matter how many times we tell ourselves that is how our system works. I have never been able to figure out why company B would hire the former CEO from company A when company A went bankrupt or shipped jobs overseas or something else equally awful. If that CEO were so great then their former company wouldn't have encountered significant trouble, right?
Seven Words wrote:I wholeheartedly agree that capitalism is not a pathological state in need of a "cure". But it does need some controls on it (e.g., child labor laws).
Agreed. We also should prevent corporations from becoming "too big to fail" ever again. If that caused so many problems then shouldn't we be guarding against it now? Even Sanford Weill, former CEO of mega-corporation Citigroup, has stated that companies should not be allowed to get that large. He would know--at its peak Citigroup was one of the largest and wealthiest corporations in the world. Incidentally, Weill was one of the people responsible for getting Congressional support to repeal Glass-Steagall years ago.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Orlion wrote: 1) People are paid based on their abilities and worth. This is complete BS. The current system is based more on networking than actual value. As a result, you'll get a CEO that makes a career of running companies into the ground and get paid millions to do it. In an ideal capitalist society, that CEO would never be hired as such ever again. In actual capitalist society, they get hired again to the same position. That's the example I can think of, there are others that involve lower-end skills and unions.
I don't get all this talk lately about "ideal capitalist societies." There is nothing inherent to capitalism that says (from Vraith, for instance) that all the money will eventually go to one person, or (from this example) that only CEOs with perfect track records will find success.

Steve Jobs lost his own company, remember. And then he came back and made Apple into something that even topped Microsoft's earnings for a while. Capitalism is about risks and rewards. Sometimes a risk doesn't pay off. Sometimes a CEO makes a mistake. Just because a company loses money doesn't always mean it's the CEO's fault.

Bill Gates said something extremely insightful once: "Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. It's fine to celebrate success, but it's more important to heed the lessons of failure."

Steve Jobs once said, "I didn't see it then, but it turned out that getting fired from Apple was the best thing that could have ever happened to me. The heaviness of being successful was replaced by the lightness of being a beginner again, less sure about everything. It freed me to enter one of the most creative periods of my life."

These are two of the most successful capitalists humanity has ever known. I don't know about "ideal capitalists," but I think we can learn something from these real ones. Hint: it's not networking. It's vision, leadership, and risk-taking.

Maybe a CEO who has failed is viewed as an asset for exactly these reasons. To use a Donaldsonian example, remember how dangerous Hile Troy was because of his "innocence." He had never faced failure, so he damn near cost the Land its most decisive defeat.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Zarathustra wrote:To use a Donaldsonian example, remember how dangerous Hile Troy was because of his "innocence." He had never faced failure, so he damn near cost the Land its most decisive defeat.
Ahem. I invite you to the Defend The Land thread to suggest how he could have done it better...

--A
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Well, I'm not arguing that HT could have done it better. I'm just saying what Donaldson said: his innocence (i.e. never having to face his own mistakes) made him bloody dangerous. He only saved the day by paying for his naivete with his life.

If we applied the same standards here that Orlion was suggesting for "ideal capitalism," then Hile Troy shouldn't have been given another chance to serve the Land, because he proved he wasn't worthy by being human enough to make a mistake.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Zarathustra wrote: If we applied the same standards here that Orlion was suggesting for "ideal capitalism," then Hile Troy shouldn't have been given another chance to serve the Land, because he proved he wasn't worthy by being human enough to make a mistake.
To be clear, "ideal" means just that. An ideal set of circumstances. My use of the 'ideal' is to demonstrate that not only does Adam Smithy type capitalism is only good "in theory", but the state of mind of people, their wants and their desires do not even approach the ideals necessary for it to work as a beneficial economy. And as I've said before, it is a matter of hoarding money like Scrooge McDuck and not being proud or passionate about what one does. Steve Jobs was passionate and proud of what he did. Bill Gates was passionate about what he did. It showed. You don't get better product merely through competition, you get it because the manufacturers and buyers give a damn. We are at least getting to the point that some buyers give a damn about the quality of their product... some of their concerns may be idiotic, but at least they care. The vast majority do not. They're happy with their food being flavoured with salt, fat, and sugar... with their overpriced electronics being the result of slave labour, etc. And since companies mostly exist just to make money for their investors, they do not have any pride in their product so long as it sells.

And it's in a loop. That is what happens when you let Capitalism run its course, it finds something comfortable to lull in until some catastrophe happens or it is forced to change course.

I do not care about an ideal capitalist system. I just care about a practical economy. Capitalism is just a tool, and if it is a tool for the job, use it. If not, put it aside and use the tool for the job.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

You made some good points in there, O. I'd argue on some in fine detail. But that's me, whatever.
this though:

Orlion wrote: I just care about a practical economy. Capitalism is just a tool, and if it is a tool for the job, use it. If not, put it aside and use the tool for the job.

Yea...but my twist...we shouldn't call it capitalism, we shouldn't act as if it is, we should NEVER, especially the people who scream about it most, pretend that what IS is what was meant by it.
Call it "Productivism" instead.
Recognize that "capital" isn't the fucking goal [though "things" attached to capital may well be for some people]...
That's the problem.
Capital is a tool to make and a measure of making...
But we've distorted that. We have made...not only made but massively encouraged...capital as the product. We favor it in every possible way.
And THAT is how capitalism [unregulated, Z, I INSIST on the unregulated part] ends up winning while everyone else loses.

OTOH...that shit can't go on forever. If MONEY [capital] wins, we all lose.
That is the opposite of what capitalism was meant to mean. When "capitalism" was invented the literal facts of our modern economy did not. Hell, "money" as we mean it didn't exist.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

He only saved the day by paying for his naivete with his life.
Spoiler
Hmm. I do not think one should understate this aspect for HT, if we're actually going to pay him any mind. I mean, don't get me wrong - giving your life for your mistakes isn't great.

But HT wasn't even a native of the land, yet he learned enough about it during his time there to know, not only the best stand the people of the land might make against Foul's army, but the best last stand he might make against Foul's army. In that sense, even though I think he was less "proper" or "normal" to the land even than Covenant, I don't think he was naive.

Moreover, even if it's not something he wanted, the forestall (Caer Wildwood?) identified him as something he could use in further defense of the land, and made such use of him. It seems like Hile Troy did a little more than merely save his remaining troops in resisting Foul...but I haven't done a lot of reading of chronicles 2 and 3, so I don't really have a feeling for what he did (and at the point he's a forestall I think he's a bit more like a plot device).

Ultimately I think that's an example worthy of Berek, if we would praise him as well - though of course this likely exhibits in Troy a predisposition towards self-destruction, which is not something that I think often or easily works.
Saying that this will "cure" capitalism seems misleading. First of all, you have to accept that there's something wrong with capitalism that needs "curing." I don't think CEOs making a lot of money or making most of the decisions is a disease. I think most people working at corporations are probably earning what they're worth, and contribute about all they can. I sure as hell wouldn't want to turn the company over to the jokers and losers I've worked with. Not everybody can be a chief.

You might just end up with a "tragedy of the commons" kind of situation, like when unions suck so hard at the collective teat, that they drive governments and businesses into bankruptcy.
I believe the basic idea regarding the lower payscale for any higher level workers is essentially a downward mobility for the upward "classes" that the CEO "himself" is actually accepting. My suspicion would be as follows: for a CEO who earns not much more than his workers, there might be a strong incentive to jump ship to a corporation where a great deal more is made. I would consider looking into Mondragon CEOs, or other businesses with similar models, and seeing what happens (i.e. their type of leadership). But I'd point out in turn that a CEO who makes a lot of money and earns a great deal of financial security as a result, they have made inroads to being alienated from risk, unless they really mess up. This might or might not have rather drastic results for a company with some sound fundamentals.

I don't know about most people at corporations - but that's aside from the point. "You can't save everybody." Is it going to make some useful things at a cost low enough to make money?

I'll also point out that if I felt like it, I think I could pull out some rather brilliant folks who seem to have done some unfortunate things in business, some folks who weren't really suited for the situation they ended up in when they made it to the top, etc. in business, and some rogue traders who may have done some ultimately useful "trimming" of the markets but whose direct impact seems questionable...

That's not really a big thing, though - corps, just like most things, are about more than just the head honchos, as you pointed out.
(I'm not doing so in part because the bigwigs I have in mind were identified through "book knowledge" and largely not even addressed in class-time.)
Janitors? Hmm...doesn't it depend on what sort of buildings they're in? I don't know a lot about the kind of work they do, but I do some ridiculously basic janitorial work (no boilers or plumbing) and I don't really see why the contractors who come in from time to time couldn't be doing my work along with what they do. Hell, it's very likely the reason they're not is because they're worth more (more skilled) and too busy to take my job from me :D , and perhaps they're glad someone else is making a bit of dough.

(Which is good, because if they tried I'd have to volunteer for free to keep doing something I like doing, but I don't think anyone would like that because I'm not supposed to drive down the wage unless I'm a capitalist for real instead of just at heart!)

But if the workers own the company, then perhaps they do some or all of that work themselves, because if they pay someone else to do it, then they have to pay out of their own pockets (remember, they are owners).

I think this gets at one of the many crucial tensions of Marxism as I've seen it - if you have a worker focused economy, that doesn't necessarily mean that the wealth radiates outwards (Marx focused on the idea that the workers would capture the surplus and that the distribution, in and of itself (the right to do so) would be important for them) or that the workers use it responsibly or generously. Even if the workers are successful in subsuming the capitalist class, that doesn't necessarily point out a great deal of difference compared to "capitalism." Allowing "the masses" to invest, or allowing different companies to invest in one another, and the like, may allow possibilities that a straightforward "save and do it yourself" way of thinking may not. Moreover, as was said, this company apparently has a financial wing, so even though they're trying to keep themselves consolidated, they don't seem to see the outside world, capitalist or not, as something which can't be exploited.

Note that by exploited, I do not mean abuse, but simply to make use of - with (IMO) the goal for a somewhat amnion-like goal to take place; comparative advantage (mutual benefit) from trade or interaction.
I don't think anyone really thinks we always pay people what they are worth no matter how many times we tell ourselves that is how our system works. I have never been able to figure out why company B would hire the former CEO from company A when company A went bankrupt or shipped jobs overseas or something else equally awful. If that CEO were so great then their former company wouldn't have encountered significant trouble, right?
Heh, an effectively glib comment, perhaps - I think it's quite possible that in some cases, the company might identify the CEO as not being primarily or particularly responsible for what happened; maybe if they've followed what happened, they decide the CEO has learned something useful. Who knows? We'd probably want to look at the specifics ourselves, right? And there are probably incentives for intentional failure aside from the kind you posted about recently (too big to fail scenarios).
I don't get all this talk lately about "ideal capitalist societies." There is nothing inherent to capitalism that says (from Vraith, for instance) that all the money will eventually go to one person, or (from this example) that only CEOs with perfect track records will find success.
That is only true insofar as capitalism is a way of thinking or operating divorced from our environment. If, for instance, we did not often find production of demanded goods subject to diminishing returns to scale at the extent to which we demanded goods, we might well find that tending towards accumulation of capital towards individuals or corporations (essentially, centralizing). I agree, however, that this isn't necessarily the ideal form of capitalism. I think I'm a bigger believer in the idea that a person could have an "essential" quality than that a society could...or should?

Return to “Coercri”