First-time Dark Tower reader

The Dark Tower and other works of Stephen King.

Moderator: lucimay

deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

First-time Dark Tower reader

Post by deer of the dawn »

I got The Gunslinger for Christmas (Kindle version).

Enjoying so far. I actually got a real kick out of the Foreword to the revised edition. :)

I don't like creepy or meaningless eroticism, so I hope there isn't a lot of that. But so far, great characterizations-- and I'm a sucker for good characters.

As I said elsewhere, I don't think I've read King since high school (Carrie and 'Salem's Lot)!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

*moved discussion from Gen Disc*
deer of the dawn wrote:
Menolly wrote:
deer of the dawn wrote:Kindle books:

The Dark Tower 1: The Gunslinger by Stephen King
Have you read the series before, deer?

If not, feel free to do something similar to what I did with the A Fresh Journey to the Tower thread.
To be honest, I think the last King I read was Carrie or 'Salem's Lot when I was in high school!! :oops: So no, I haven't read the series, nor The Stand. I started reading it and am thoroughly enjoying.
OK, so in case you are not aware, King turned The Gunslinger series in to a way to tie many of his novels together. Av posted a reading order of what he feels are the most connected, which is the order I followed. There is a chart floating around somewhere that connects even more, but I thoroughly enjoyed Av's suggestions.
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

Oh, thank you for that, Menolly!!

I finished Gunslinger. I LOVED the writing. I didn't really get the point of the long journey through the tunnel, but that may become clear later, I suppose. The writing is good enough that I definitely want more.

Maybe I should loop back and read Eyes of the Dragon?
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

deer of the dawn wrote:Oh, thank you for that, Menolly!!

I finished Gunslinger. I LOVED the writing. I didn't really get the point of the long journey through the tunnel, but that may become clear later, I suppose. The writing is good enough that I definitely want more.

Unnecessary.

You may want to work The Stand and Insomnia into your read, but even if you don't, the DT books work on their own.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Cail wrote:
deer of the dawn wrote:Oh, thank you for that, Menolly!!

Unnecessary.

You may want to work The Stand and Insomnia into your read, but even if you don't, the DT books work on their own.
If it has been as long as I assume it has been since you read 'Salem's Lot, I definitely suggest a reread of that in the suggested order as well.

And since Low Men is a short story (in Hearts in Atlantis, right? Although I do think there are other parts of Hearts which could be included as tie-ins), as well as Everything's Eventual and Little Sisters, they're not that difficult to work in.

...if one can get a hold of the books they're in.

But if not, Cail is right. The series can be enjoyed on its own. These additional works do flesh it out in a positive way though, in my opinion.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Menolly wrote: But if not, Cail is right. The series can be enjoyed on its own. These additional works do flesh it out in a positive way though, in my opinion.

Agree in a general way.
Though my personal recommendation would be for the attached/overlap/shared ones read either before or after the series itself, but not during.
[for me, salem's lot and the 2 with straub...talisman and black house...were the only with significance much beyond "that's kinda nifty."]
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

... I would wait and do them on a re-read, personally.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

wayfriend wrote:... I would wait and do them on a re-read, personally.
This is probably the best advice. The DT story is self-contained, all the other books simply add texture.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Vraith wrote:
Menolly wrote: But if not, Cail is right. The series can be enjoyed on its own. These additional works do flesh it out in a positive way though, in my opinion.

Agree in a general way.
Though my personal recommendation would be for the attached/overlap/shared ones read either before or after the series itself, but not during.
[for me, salem's lot and the 2 with straub...talisman and black house...were the only with significance much beyond "that's kinda nifty."]
See?

Talisman and Black House aren't on Av's suggested reading order at all, so I haven't read them. Where would they fit in on a re-read?
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Menolly wrote:
Vraith wrote:

Agree in a general way.
See?

Talisman and Black House aren't on Av's suggested reading order at all, so I haven't read them. Where would they fit in on a re-read?
hmmmm....it's been a long time, so I'm a little iffy. But most of the interplay is with Wolves and Dark Tower. So in the space between, after Song? [I don't remember if Talisman connects at all, actually...but House definitely does.]
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Talisman was never meant to be part of the DT, but there are a couple of hints that it occurs in Roland's world. Black House, written 15 years later, ret-cons things a little making the connection more obvious.

I thought Talisman was a good book. Didn't like Black House as much, although it appears more connected.

We might as well add Wind Through The Keyhole in between book 4 & 5 as well.

Have fun Deer...it's a hell of a ride. And some great characters, and no creepy eroticism really.

(FWIW, King revised the Gunslinger to better fit into the plan he later conceived of joining it all up. You'll have the revised version, but there is an original version too.)

--A
Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

The Talisman is one of the best books King ever (co)wrote, so there's that.

And why in the world would anyone advise someone to NOT read "Eyes of the Dragon"!!??

Post by Avatar »

Nah, he meant in terms of its importance to the DT series.

--A
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

the only book outside the DT series i think is sort of necessary is Salem's Lot. for obvious reasons which i won't go into here since Deer hasn't gotten too far in yet.

everything else is more icing on the cake. :D
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~

Post by Avatar »

It's not even that necessary, since DT5 tells you exactly what happened.

Me, I loved stumbling across tie-ins in both the DT and in other books. So all of them are important. ;)

--A

Return to “Stephen King Forum”