Predictions you got right?

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

Borillar
<i>Elohim</i>

Predictions you got right?

Post by Borillar »

Okay, so we have a thread about things we thought would happen, but didn't. This thread is for the things in TLD that you guessed correctly. Me, I totally nailed that Linden was going to magic-gold-warp her way to The Lost Deep in order to yank souls out of SWMNBN and plop them into waiting Demondim-spawn bodies in order to create benevolent UrSkek-like Forestals. How about you?

[okay, in all seriousness, I did predict that Covenant and Linden would marry in TLD in order that their rings would swap such that they'd both be rightful wielders again]
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Does this count? On the GI, I asked this:
Earlier in the GI, you have said: ". . . I was more concerned with trying to tell the truth about the Second Law of Thermodynamics (entropy, everything always runs down). . ." Well, the *truth* about the 2nd Law is that it implies an "arrow of time," a specific direction in which time flows. For this reason, we usually see things like cups falling to the floor and breaking, rather than shattered cups rising from the floor and spontaneously assembling themselves. The only time we'd witness such a reversal of entropy would be if we were watching a movie played in reverse.

So my question is this: if the Arch of Time is eventually broken, then won't the *arrow* of time also be broken? If the linear sequence of events no longer needs to flow in one direction, won't entropy be undone?

You have also said: ". . . it is the task of every caring being (that perhaps it is the entire purpose of life) to resist the process [of entropy] as much as possible; to preserve as much as we can for as long as we can."

So is the breaking of the Arch in itself an unexpected path to redemption? Achieving or fulfilling the "entire purpose of life?"

I like to think that this twisted logic might actually hold the key to the final "twist" at the end of this series--the way in which the Land is destroyed, and yet Lord Foul is defeated. Do I win? Did I guess the ending?

So the Arch was broken, causality ceased to function in the absence linear time, and our heroes were able to put it all back together in that interim where strict causality was no longer in effect. While I didn't predict that it would take TC, LA, and Jer working in concert to remake the world, I did think that the breaking of the Arch would be both cataclysmic and yet a state where "miracles" could happen because the natural laws had broken down. Entropy was then undone by our heroes.

I'm counting it!
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.

Return to “The Last Dark”