Favourite Short Story in Daughter of Regals

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

What is your favourite short story from Daughter of Regals?

Daughter of Regals
27%
Gilden-Fire
12%
Mythological Beast
15%
The Lady in White
6%
Animal Lover
9%
Unworthy of the Angel
15%
The Conquerer Worm
3%
Ser Visal's Tale
12%

Total votes: 33

Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

Very nice, Mortice! :D

Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

I voted for Daughter of Regals, but Mythological Beast, Unworthy of the Angel, and Ser Visal's Tale were all extremely close. I didn't really understand The Lady in White or Animal Lover when I last read them a few years ago, and while The Conqueror Worm was an interesting story, it didn't captivate me. I still haven't read Gilden-Fire, and am saving it for after my next re-read of TCTC.
"Persevera, per severa, per se vera." Persist through difficulties, even though it is hard.
Proud Member of THOOOTP.
Buy my best friend's fantastic fantasy book! Pulse is also available here.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I voted for Sir Visal's Tale, but I'm not done with my current reread of the book. DoR was good. I've commented on it elsewhere in this forum. But SVT did so much with so little. . . I loved it.

I really did not like Animal Lover. I thought it wasn't up to Donaldson's ability. Unworthy of the Angel is just beautiful. I'm not done with it yet, but it makes me remember why I fell in love with Donaldson's writing to begin with. I'd forgotten about this little gem. Haven't read it in 20 years. What a treasure.

And Mortice (the forum member), your name really jumped out at me while reading! I forgot this character.
Mortice Root
Bloodguard

Post by Mortice Root »

malik wrote
Unworthy of the Angel is just beautiful. I'm not done with it yet, but it makes me remember why I fell in love with Donaldson's writing to begin with. I'd forgotten about this little gem. Haven't read it in 20 years. What a treasure.
Couldn't agree more. That story, for me, is just a perfect encapsulation of my favorite parts of SRD work. Strength, pain, beauty.... it's all there. And in such a short, powerful burst......

I love just thinking about that story. :)
"The plural of antecdotes is not evidence."
-------------
Driving down the razor's edge between the past and the future
Turn up the music and smile
Get carried away on the songs and stories of vanished times
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Hmmm...I voted Gilden-Fire, although it's not in my copy of DoR. (I have it in a seperate single volume.)

--A
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I finished the book a couple days ago, except for Gilden Fire (I'm saving that one for my next reread of the Chronicles). The centipede story was an interesting exercise in metaphor, but a poor story. It's basically a scene.

Mythological Beast is unexpected from Donaldson. It's fun and quirky.

Lady in White is a great, "classic fantasy" tale. Almost a fairy tale. So tragic! He figured it out, why not one more chance?!? She gave him so many chances, why not one more? Does anyone think that the wizard was the truth, and Mardik was simply wrong? It's a rather bizarre way to choose a mate. Why did she kill the others, but not the blacksmith and his brother? If failing the tests doesn't get you killed, what does?

My favorite hasn't changed. SVT.
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Which one was Unworthy of the Angel?

Of the ones listed, I enjoyed Mythological Beast most, but I have to say I'm surprised that Penance isn't on the list. It is, by far, my favorite of his stories.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information

Post by Avatar »

Is from Reave the Just. Not Daughter of Regals. My favourite short story is also in Reave: The Killing Stroke. Best SRD story ever. I'd buy a series set in that world for sure.

--A
Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

Avatar wrote:Is from Reave the Just. Not Daughter of Regals. My favourite short story is also in Reave: The Killing Stroke. Best SRD story ever. I'd buy a series set in that world for sure.

--A
I would too. That story was awesome.
"Persevera, per severa, per se vera." Persist through difficulties, even though it is hard.
Proud Member of THOOOTP.
Buy my best friend's fantastic fantasy book! Pulse is also available here.

Post by Avatar »

Totally. I reread it at least once a year.

(There's a thread about it in here.)

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

"Daughter Of Regals" would be my favorite. Chrysalis's struggles in facing so many threats were very compelling, the idea of "magic" in that story seemed quite original, the fact that the realm's ability to maintain itself in a balanced peace was dependent on her success made her struggle even more compelling, and the suspense up to the story's climax was gripping. When I finished that story it was the emotional equivalent of being bathed in a cool breeze after being baked in a sauna...*WHEW*! LOVED IT.

"Ser Visal's Tale" would be a very close second choice.

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”