Kindergarten Teacher discusses 9/11 with class...

Archive From The 'Tank
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Fair point. Innocence is only valued in its loss. We call an adult who is innocent "naive."

--A

Post by Avatar »

Hmmmm. Looks like link spam to me I'm afraid...

--A
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Post by TheFallen »

I'm sure you're right, Av. Either that, or kindergarten teachers in Phoenix, Arizona have a really poor command of the English language.
Newsflash: the word "irony" doesn't mean "a bit like iron" :roll:

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."

Post by Avatar »

Note that first came a clean "good post" post in one of the dissection forums...a bare try at establishing participation before jumping in with the link. ;)

--A
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

So delete it, ban the user, ban the IP address.

Next?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

I am looking into the situation at this time. The link goes to an All Saints Episcopal Day School which is located in Phoenix (verified by looking up all elementary schools in the Phoenix area) so at least it isn't trying to sell something. The IP is registered to a Privax LTD located in San Diego which makes it a little unlikely that a customer of Privax would be residing in Phoenix. Also, it appears that the network with authority over the /22 subnet containing the IP address in question is based out of Maryland; again, not outside the realm of possibility but definitely questionable.

I am going to delete the post--a relatively random post inserted into a two-year old thread, which is highly questionable--but I won't ban the user or recommend banning the IP for now.

Warin, if you see this please be aware that if I see any other questionable activity there will not be a discussion; rather, there will be only me deleting your posts and banning you.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

He's a busy little bot! Check out his profile, he has nearly 17million posts 8O

Don't tell Sarge or he'll want one too! :lol:

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.

Post by Avatar »

Nah, that's the zero-day glitch.

WRT the link Hashi, sales are not the point. It's all about the link itself. Somebody contracted Warin to develop some links for their business, clearly using the keyword Phoenix kindergarten or whatever it was.

The hope is that when people search for that keyword phrase, their business (school) will show up as a result because there are links to the site using that keyword.

Actually, Google is slowly starting to move away from this method of determining rankings, but that's not going to stop people doing it.

--A
Last edited by Avatar on Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

I hadn't considered that but now that you say it I can see that that makes sense.

The next time someone posts something random in an old thread I won't bother researching, just delete the post and note the source.
TheFallen

Post by TheFallen »

Fine Hashi. Just make an exception for WF... :twisted:

Joking! Just joking...

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."

Post by Avatar »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:I hadn't considered that but now that you say it I can see that that makes sense.
I work in the online marketing industry, so I recognise it when I see it. ;)

Delete away, although if a link really is absolutely relevant to the thread, I'm fine with leaving it in situ.

Most won't be, because of the nature of the companies who still use this technique. (Not particularly clued-up, in other words. :D )

--A
Abel4

Kindergarten

Post by Abel4 »

You really think so that your child will be worried after knowing everything? Well my opinion is something different from you. I wanted my little girl to know everything from the starting. You gave me probably a good idea. I will tell her teacher ofPhoenix pre-k to tell her patriotic stories so that she be able to understand her duties towards her country from the starting.
TheFallen

Post by TheFallen »

As the song goes, "Hey-la, hey-la, the bot is back".

What I do find surprising is that some pre-school in Phoenix - one that clearly only has a minimal command of the niceties of English language and grammar - should think it a good idea to spam advertise in such a cackhanded way?

Post by Avatar »

Nah, it's a human. And unfortunately, the pre-school may not know that their SEO is practising what are essential "forbidden" techniques to get them links.

I removed the link. Guess I'll ban old Abel too.

--
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

There is no logical reason to be spamming their preschool program here. *shrug* Illogical poster is illogical.
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

whoa...this is the most attention any of my threads has ever gotten :)
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

As a parent of young children, surely you know the lesson about wanting attention, but finding that they attention you get is not the kind you want?
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

In that case, I won't lock it.

We might as well let it drift onto something, though. Super Bowl commercials? I saw the one last night which has now been "banned" because Scarlet Johanssen, spokeswoman for SodaStream (just a new take on the old technology of infusing carbon dioxide into water) dared to challenge Coke and Pepsi by name. They are bigger sponsors--and have more money--and thus the ad got pulled.

Corporate bullying? Clearly.
Rau Le Creuset
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Rau Le Creuset »

If I had a 5 year old ask me what 9/11 was I could say without a doubt that I would do as best I could to explain what happened in an appropriate manner. I don't think it's something they are not allowed to know. Plus it just makes them twice as curious when you tell them your not going to tell them. I'd say they have the right to know.. in a dumbed down less scary way of course.

Not that I'm a parent or anything.. I know my mother and father told me though. I was 4 or 5 when this went down.. and we talked about it on my ride to school one morning. I'm glad they did. Maybe this teacher just did it in the wrong fashion and environment.

EDIT: Didn't know this post was so old.. and kinda passed the main point. Whoops. I should really start looking at dates.
"I am He, that arrogant fool who thought he could thwart death itself with his money."

Post by Avatar »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:There is no logical reason to be spamming their preschool program here. *shrug* Illogical poster is illogical.
On the contrary...the thread title contains the word "kindergarten" and so, no doubt, do many of the posts. Therefore it has a contextual relevance to the anchor text (the words which form the link).

And Google does love the Watch. Because our content is added to so frequently, they crawl us several times a day. We can be considered an authoritative site, so a link from us benefits the target site, making it more credible.

--A

Return to “Coercri”