Stupid Ads. News sites without ads?

Archive From The 'Tank
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Stupid Ads. News sites without ads?

Post by SoulBiter »

All the most common news sites have gotten so overrun with ads that even on my work computer which has an incredibly fast connection speed, the pages are all over the place. They move up as ads open and close on their own, videos are playing automatically, etc etc etc.

So does anyone know of any reliable news sites with limited or no ads?
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

Hi. Did you try installing extensions on your browsers to fix it? I use AdBlock and ClickToFlash on Safari (they have these for FireFox and Chrome, too, I think) and I rarely see ads on sites. Maybe that way you can still use the sites you like without the ads bothering you?

Been busy, so no time to post here, though I did read some of the latest posts before bed last night. It made me have a dream where you made an appearance, actually. You opened a business that did something with gay history and antique newspapers! You said something about how you couldn't just throw away the history and that you made money at it so why not or so. Was really odd and you weren't in it for long, but you were in there. I have no explanation for the meaning!
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Democracy Now! is pretty good about not loading up their site with ads or videos. You may get the floating ad asking for pledges to keep DN! in production and that morning's show may auto-play but that's about it.

AJA (Al Jazeera America) is also pretty good about not flooding with ads.

Drudge doesn't have many ads on itself, but some of the sites to which it links are pretty bad about flooding.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

I've only used Chrome for a while now, so not up on other browsers...but Chrome now has a built-in setting that stops most flash stuff.

It's under Settings, click show advanced, scroll down, click content settings button under privacy heading, scroll down, under plug ins mark click to play.

[[if there is a site you WANT to allow, the first time you go there and click to play, a box will drop down to let you make it an exception]]

right under the plug ins heading is the pop ups section...not as good as separate blocker, perhaps, but gets a lot of them.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

AdBlock Plus (for firefox) for me. :D I've had to turn it off recently for work purposes, and I can't believe the ads. :D

--A

Return to “Coercri”