Where is Hungary Headed?

Archive From The 'Tank
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Where is Hungary Headed?

Post by ussusimiel »

I came across this article today. I know very little about politics in Hungary, but I found that this fits in with an emerging pattern: u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

It appears that Orbán is nothing more than your standard, textbook dictator who has wrapped himself in the trappings and catchphrases of democracy. He and his friends have set up the situation where everything belongs to them and they will all become billionaires. Not surprisingly, Fidesz has a two-thirds majority in their parliament and he has appointed enough justices that he has a two-thirds majority on their Supreme Court--he owns the country, almost literally.

The article says he faces reelection in 2018. *laugh* Why bother? It isn't like anyone will run against him and no one will dare vote for anyone except him, unless he appoints two or three token "opposition candidates" to make it look like there is still democracy. He won't bother, though--he'll suspend elections before then, probably citing "interference by outside forces" or some such nonsense, as well as "the need for stability in these troubling times".

The best bet for the Hungarian people is to find their courage and revolt, throwing both Orbán and Fidesz out of power permanently.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Ah, the name of your political ideology doesn't matter. It's all about people who want power and what they do with it.

--A
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Protests in Hungary

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Article found here on AJA. I freely admit not knowing enough to comment about it yet but the fact that people are protesting the government in large numbers is definitely news-worthy so everyone needs to know about it.
More than 10,000 Hungarians rallied in Budapest on Monday to demand the resignation of Prime Minister Viktor Orban, accusing him of employing corrupt public servants and cosying up to the Kremlin.

The numbers who turned up at Parliament for the rally — billed by organizers as a "Day of Public Outrage" — were much smaller than the crowds that protested a planned tax on the Internet last month and forced Orban to shelve the plan.

Alleged corruption has become a new rallying cry for Orban's opponents after the United States said it was barring entry to six Hungarian public servants, including the head of the tax authority, on suspicion of being associated with graft.

Although Hungary — like many former Eastern Bloc countries — adopted the form and institutions of a liberal democracy following the collapse of the Soviet Union, Orban's government has tilted in a more authoritarian direction. In late July, he said publicly that he wanted to construct an "illiberal state" in the mold of Vladimir Putin's Russia.

The Internet tax and the corruption allegations have slightly weakened public support for Orban's center-right Fidesz party. But it still leads by a wide margin over the fragmented opposition, which includes several left-wing parties and the far-right nationalist party Jobbik.

The protesters chanted "Orban go away!" and held up banners with slogans including: "We don't pay tax to criminals." They chanted "Europe, Europe!" after two people lowered a European Union flag from a window of the neo-gothic Parliament building.

Tax chief Ildiko Vida said early this month she was one of several people — including government officials — who were barred entry by the United States on charges of corruption. She denied any wrongdoing.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Oh, crap--I forgot about this thread.

I'll merge them tomorrow. My mistake.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Just curious ... why do you read and quote a "news" organization that's owned by a middle eastern government? You honestly think that's going to be an objective source?
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Zarathustra wrote:Just curious ... why do you read and quote a "news" organization that's owned by a middle eastern government? You honestly think that's going to be an objective source?
They are fairly objective, all things considered.
You could run a test/experiment if you wanted, compare it to Fox News.
Which is partly owned by a Saudi royal personage.
And whose own company is partly owned by Fox's owner.

I'd bet a fortune they're more objective than Brietbart or Daily Mail.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.

Post by Avatar »

More people protested an internet tax than protested corrupt government. :D Does that say something about where our priorities lie? :D

--A
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Zarathustra wrote:Just curious ... why do you read and quote a "news" organization that's owned by a middle eastern government? You honestly think that's going to be an objective source?
I have found over the last few months that most AJA stories are more direct and more factual than news sources here. Part of that is because it isn't directly owned/controlled by interests here and part of it is because the subtle bias is anti-United States. A critic is often more accurate than a sycophant.

I concur, Avatar. Police abuses? Meh--that's just standard operating procedure and we put up with it. Lying political leaders? Meh--we joke about how politicians are all liars while we sip down a beer at the local pub. Try to put some taxes on the Internet? Sharpen your pitchfork and clean your gun--we're storming Parliament.

mod update: topics merged.

Post by Avatar »

On the other hand, the internet is now about access to information. It's perhaps not such a bad priority after all. With that, all those other things you mentioned can be fought.

--A
finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

The top news organisations in the US/West are (in effect) owned and run by a middle eastern government!
"Winston, if you were my husband I'd give you poison" ................ "Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it!"

"Terrorism is war by the poor, and war is terrorism by the rich"

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well."

"The opposite of pro-life isn't pro-death. Y'know?"

"What if the Hokey Cokey really is what its all about?"

Return to “Coercri”