Audio Version of the Gap Cycle

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Stephen R Donaldson, in News, wrote:I'm glad to report that Scott Brick will be the reader for Audible's recordings of "Mordant's Need" and the five GAP books. As he always does, Scott will consult with me about such things as pronunciation. But I still have no idea when the recordings will be released.

2/3/12
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

I've never had an audio book before, but I'd be very keen to purchase both these publications.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by SleeplessOne »

the audio version of the Gap cycle that I have is awesome, I wish I knew who was reading it; he has an English accent and really does Nick and Angus exceptionally well ...
Thermo-Pile
Servant of the Land

Post by Thermo-Pile »

Can anyone help me locate any existing versions of these books in audio format?
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

The first four books of the Gap Cycle just arrived on audible.com . :7up: I have used up my last membership credit.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

I'm happy to say that THIS DAY ALL GODS DIE has arrived on audible.com, to complete the cycle. It's incorrectly labeled This Day All Gods Must Die, but if you search for it using the correct title, it still comes up.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I've just started the audio version of FK. I've never read the book, although I did try to get through TRS several years ago. Since that was a failure, I'm taking Damelon's advice from E'fest to skip TRS and jump right to FK. I'm doing the audio version because I just can't seem to find any time to sit down with the written word these days, but I can always listen in the truck.
phyzzer
Servant of the Land

Post by phyzzer »

Started listening to these from audible. Scott is a good narrator except for the fact that he reads ID as a word instead of the letters. It drives me crazy every time he says it.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Hey, nice to see you back Phyzzer. :D

I can't do audio books. Too slow apart from anything else. :D Never occurred to me that there would be pronunciation problems too. :D

--A
phyzzer
Servant of the Land

Post by phyzzer »

It comes up a lot in audio books. I listened to another on the history of atomic accidents. The narrator pronounced tritium as trish-um instead of trit-ee-um.

I started listening to podcasts and audiobooks on my daily commute. My mind tends to wander though and I realize I haven't really been listening or only half listening. That's not such an issue for books (like the Gap series) that I've already read once.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

phyzzer wrote:I started listening to podcasts and audiobooks on my daily commute. My mind tends to wander though and I realize I haven't really been listening or only half listening.
That was my experience. Either I miss whole sections because I am driving ... or I miss whole exits because I am listening!

So SB pronounces ID the same as id, the part of the mind? I am imagining a policeman, who has pulled you over, asking for some id. :)
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I thought he was saying he reads it as "identity" instead of I.D?

--A
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

I had read phyzzer's account of the audiobook pronunciation and gotten the same impression as did Way.

Perhaps phyzzer can revert with which interpretation he actually meant. That will also build his post count...with all that implies.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
phyzzer
Servant of the Land

Post by phyzzer »

He pronounces it as id as in the id, ego and super-ego. Read just as it is spelled. Not as "eye-dee" or I.D. or identity.

Example: "Morn took out her UMCP id tag" rather than "Morn took out her UMCP eye-dee tag"

I'm onto book three of the cycle and he's still doing it! Arggghh!!!
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Thanks for following up on that!
scarymonster
Servant of the Land

Re: Audio Version of the Gap Cycle

Post by scarymonster »

SleeplessOne wrote:the audio version of the Gap cycle that I have is awesome, I wish I knew who was reading it; he has an English accent and really does Nick and Angus exceptionally well ...
Could it be John Cartright. He has a very English accent and probably what we would call quite posh. After listening to chapters from both the Cartright version and Scott Brick's i've now settled into Brick's offering as the sound quality/accoustics is so much better.

Return to “The Gap Series”