Darrin Scroyle and Free Lunch (Spoilers)

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

Duskfire
Servant of the Land

Darrin Scroyle and Free Lunch (Spoilers)

Post by Duskfire »

Did anyone else feel a bit sorry for Darrin Scroyle and his crew? Not only did he have a sense of honor that few people did in the series, but he was kicking absolute ass in the fight among the Asteroid Belt. Trumpet had to flee from Free Lunch, and they were beating Soar. Without Angus' intervention, they would have destroyed them both and then gone on their merry way.
StevieG
Andelanian

Re: Darrin Scroyle and Free Lunch (Spoilers)

Post by StevieG »

He was the hired killer wasn't he? IIRC, his character was written sympathetically - I remember feeling something for him. But I guess, he was in a dangerous profession (may be completely wrong about his profession....) and had to expect his eventual (inevitable) ending.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I'm with Stevie G on this. My sympathies for the Captain of the Free Lunch don't extend as far as thinking he deserved to escape the demise his chosen profession brought upon him.

I feel like we didn't see the worst side of Scroyle -- but there is a much worse side.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Is that the itchy stomach guy? I never felt a thing for him, except that maybe he was added to the story too late, had too little to do, and was characterized by one annoying trait (the itchy stomach thing). It felt like SRD was running out of body parts to use as single-trait characterizations.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
CovenantJr
Lord

Re: Darrin Scroyle and Free Lunch (Spoilers)

Post by CovenantJr »

StevieG wrote:He was the hired killer wasn't he? IIRC, his character was written sympathetically
Similarly, I have faint recollections of him being written sympathetically, but I'm with Malik in that I think he appeared too late and too briefly to garner much reaction from me. Maybe he wasn't meant to. Some characters serve only as a set of eyes to show a particular scene from an outside perspective.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

I agree with others here that Darrin Scroyle was written sympathetically, yet you don't feel a whole lot for him or his crew, because of the mercenary/assassination kinds of work that they do. And since he's going against Trumpet, the reader certainly won't be rooting for him.
Still, sucked into a singularity--sounds like a nasty end!
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

When I read the topic title I was like Who? :lol:

Then I remembered him and his sister or wife or whatever. :D I liked them. And they worked for Hashi didn't they?

--A
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Avatar wrote:When I read the topic title I was like Who? :lol:
That was my reaction. I remember them. Can't remember what I thought about them when I read the books.
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Avatar wrote:Then I remembered him and his sister or wife or whatever. Very Happy I liked them. And they worked for Hashi didn't they?
She was his first cousin. And you remember correctly, Avatar: they worked for Hashi.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, I felt sorta sorry for them. Seemed like loveable rogues.

--A

Return to “The Gap Series”