Seveneves-Neal Stephenson

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Zarathustra wrote: Does Stephenson invent implausible reasons to keep characters in the dark merely for dramatic effect (e.g. the end of Fatal Revenant)? Does he have too much filler (e.g. 2nd half of AATE)? A climactic finale to a 10-book saga that disappoints?
Hah...yea, kinda/sorta related to those things.
I suspect you'll see contrivance, filler, and IMO it would be pretty hard to make the case that Anathem [or most of his work] is character driven, which is something you comment on often.
But don't get me wrong---I do think you'll like it. [probably].
A significant [or even large] number of posts from you address issues that the book addresses.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Given the social turmoil we have seen over the last several weeks does anyone think the road to the literal end of Human civilization would be anywhere as smooth as it is portrayed by Neal Stephenson in Seveneves?
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

OK SO I loved SevenEves!! excellent reference, thanks!!!

I guess Cryptonomicon is next?
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Should really get these. :D

--A

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”