RUSH back in the studio. A new CD is on its way

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I'll be at both Indy and Cinci, with the whole gang. I'm thinking of chilling in the lawn at one, and getting as close as possible at the other.

A live CD of the tour will be out in April. Followed by a DVD in the fall. I'm in live album heaven. They have really been generous to the fans lately. (While KiGirl steams over the derth of live Tool releases. :biggrin: )
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Are you implying that I am a slacker? Fine, I'll try to go to the Jacksonville show, too! Oops, better try for the Ft. Lauderdale show; Jax is on a thursday, and I have my own gig on thursdays....hell, Ft. Lauderdale's a really long drive.....fine, I'm a slacker.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Ki
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ki »

Malik23 wrote:(While KiGirl steams over the derth of live Tool releases. :biggrin: )
you just HAD to go there, didn't ya! well, at least TooL released a single video right at Christmas time. (yea, i know..that's nothing, but it was all i had).
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Just wanted to let everyone know that Rush had a new live CD released on the 15th. It's darn good. Much better sound than the Live in Rio CD. It accurately represents the "modern" Rush sound, which is a nice combination of all their previous stages, from the raw 70s, to the polished 80s. It has a very good set list, including the entire show from the Snakes and Arrows tour (which is beginning its second leg, btw). The songs do sound a little slow, however. Some people have wondered if the master was recorded slow, since none of us remember the songs being played like this live. I'm not even sure if that is possible. Anyway, aside from that, it's flawless. The new tunes translate well to the live performance, despite all the layers on the studio versions.
Mortice Root
Bloodguard

Post by Mortice Root »

Yeah, I noticed the slowness, too. It didn't seem as prevalent on the S&A songs, mostly just the older material, IMO. But I agree, this is a pretty darn good live album. I'm looking forward to the new tour leg. :biggrin:
"The plural of antecdotes is not evidence."
-------------
Driving down the razor's edge between the past and the future
Turn up the music and smile
Get carried away on the songs and stories of vanished times
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Yeah, dammit, Rush is here tonight and I'm pissed I can't make it-Tam works tonight and I have to take care of Elora and work on my house renovations. I saw the Power Windows tour, but I know I'm missing a great tour this year. I'll probably buy S&A. Jealous of those who got to see them.
fall far and well Pilots!
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Mortice Root wrote:Yeah, I noticed the slowness, too. It didn't seem as prevalent on the S&A songs, mostly just the older material, IMO. But I agree, this is a pretty darn good live album. I'm looking forward to the new tour leg. :biggrin:
You're exactly right. The new stuff sounded like the right pace, while many of the older songs seemed to drag. I've read that Neil requested this, because he's getting older (I'll never believe that!), or that they simply wanted the older tunes to "breathe." I hope it was a recording error, because the show I saw wasn't like this.

Danlo, that sucks! You really are missing a great tour. This is better than any Rush tour I saw through the 90s--including the Test for Echo tour when they played all of 2112 and Natural Science for the first time in decades--and it is better than the R30 tour of 2004 (I still think nothing can top the 2002 Vapor Trails tour when they came back from the brink of breaking up). The new material really is great, and they play a lot of it. They added this second leg because the tour is the most successful they've had in a long time, and they really are having fun playing the new stuff. You've got to find a way!! Don't miss it, especially if it has been as long as you say.

Oh well, if you can't make it, I have a feeling they've got another CD or two in them. They're just having too much fun, and really are at the top of their game.

If you buy the new CD, get the MVI version, which has much better sound (high resolution) as well as a multi-channel mix, and a documentary video that's fascinating.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Well, all of you who missed the '07-'08 tour now have a chance to bring the tour into your living room. In High Definition! Bluray!

ZOË VISION/ANTHEM ENTERTAINMENT TO RELEASE RUSH DVD SNAKES & ARROWS LIVE ON NOVEMBER 25 MUSICIANSHIP HIGHLIGHTED, EXTRAS ABUNDANT

"Thanks to epic songs, fantastical lyrics and extravagant drum solos, [Rush] rocks on through the 21st century...the scope of [their] achievements is undeniable..." Rolling Stone

September 22, 2008 o Burlington, MA - Zoë Vision/Anthem Entertainment is pleased to announce the release of the Snakes & Arrows Live DVD on November 25 from the legendary rock trio RUSH. This 3 disc DVD set, also available as a Blu-ray Disc, follows their Zoë Vision DVD releases Rush-R30 (2005) and Rush in Rio (2003).

The Snakes & Arrows Live DVD (full track listing below) was filmed with 21 High Definition cameras in 16x9 widescreen format, over two nights in October 2007 at the Netherlands’ Ahoy Rotterdam arena during the renowned rock trio’s lengthy world tour. Additional SD footage was filmed in Atlanta this past July. The five month trek supporting Rush’s critically acclaimed 2007 studio release, Snakes & Arrows, which includes the Grammy® Award-nominated track, "Malignant Narcissism," topped Pollstar’s Top 100 2007 Tours list at #12.

While previous DVD releases showcase different sides of the band , this DVD offers fans a rare and close up look at the prodigious musicianship for which the band is renown. Cameras follow bassist and vocalist Geddy Lee, guitarist Alex Lifeson and drummer Neil Peart, closely, capturing not only their playing, note for note, but also the intimacy they share on stage. The diverse track list includes many new songs from Snakes & Arrows as well as old favorites like “Tom Sawyer” and “Freewill” plus an explosive rendition of "Between the Wheels."" Among the hidden gems and numerous special tour moments included as extras is the fan coveted "What’s That Smell" vignette and outtakes, a skit used to intro the second set, which capitalizes on the still emerging comedic talents of both Alex and Geddy who excel (and revel) in their roles as wild characters. Featuring collector’s quality packaging and a choice of Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound or PCM Stereo for a superior audio experience, the DVD was mixed by frequent collaborator Richard Chycki (Aerosmith, Mick Jagger). Total running time is 221 minutes.

Snakes & Arrows made a triumphant debut on the Billboard 200 upon its release May 2007, entering the chart in the #3 spot. The album’s popular success marked Rush’s highest chart debut since 1993, as well as the group’s eleventh top ten album in the U.S. Snakes & Arrows also debuted at #3 in the band’s native Canada and at #13 in the UK - the band’s highest British chart ranking in 16 years. In addition, the album premiered in the top ten in Sweden and Finland, and in the top twenty in Norway, the Netherlands, and Japan.

Since releasing their self-titled debut album in 1974, Rush has been universally regarded as one of the most inventive and compelling groups in rock, famed for virtuoso musicianship. Celebrated, critically acclaimed and respected worldwide, Rush is the most successful Canadian rock band of all time and they remain one of the biggest grossing arena rock bands ever. Their extraordinary body of work - which includes such acclaimed works as 1976’s 2112, 1981’s Moving Pictures, 1996’s Test for Echo, and 2002’s Vapor Trails - has achieved worldwide sales exceeding 35 million units.
Track Listing:

1. Limelight
2. Digital Man
3. Entre Nous
4. Mission
5. Freewill
6. The Main Monkey Business
7. The Larger Bowl
8. Secret Touch
9. Circumstances
10. Between the Wheels
11. Dreamline

Extras:

1. What’s Thats Smell (DVD Content)
2. 2007 Tour Outtakes
3. What’s That Smell Outtakes
4. FarCry (Alternate cut featuring rear screen footage)
5. The Way the Wind Blows (Alternate cut featuring rear screen footage)
6. Red Sector A from the R30 Tour

Disc 2:

1. FarCry
2. Workin’ Them Angels
3. Armour and Sword
4. Spindrift
5. The Way the Wind Blows
6. Subdivisions
7. Natural Science
8. Witch Hunt
9. Malignant Narcissism - De Slagwerker
10. Hope
11. Distant Early Warning
12. The Spirit of Radio
13. Tom Sawyer
<

Encore:
14. One Little Victory
15. A Passage to Bangkok
16. YYZ

Disc 3:

Oh, Atlanta - The Authorized Bootlegs

1. Ghost of a Chance
2. Red Barchetta
3. The Trees
4. 2112/The Temples of Syrinx

CLOSE
www.rush.com/

[Edited to highlight a few cool features. I hope the Bluray has lossless surround track, rather than merely the Dolby Digital 5.1. I'm glad to see the PCM stereo mix included. This will probably be the mix I listen to, but it would be nice to have the high rez surround sound that Bluray is capable of.]
Last edited by Zarathustra on Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Damn, I may have to pick that up.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

oh FRIK yah!!!
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Mortice Root
Bloodguard

Post by Mortice Root »

Outstadning!!! :biggrin:
"The plural of antecdotes is not evidence."
-------------
Driving down the razor's edge between the past and the future
Turn up the music and smile
Get carried away on the songs and stories of vanished times
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I think I may have posted this before. But you've got to watch it. 2:25 minutes of your life. This is what new Rush sounds like. Guys in their 50s still making new music. And it is one cool freakin' video . . . the entire history of religion in, well, 2:25 minutes. You'll have to read, with this one. And read quickly. But pay close attention to how the visuals are working with the music. The guy who did this deserves a lot of praise.

Anyway, I've been thinking about the other recent thread about guitarists. This song was written by Geddy, the bass player in the band. He jammed on it with Neil, the drummer. And then Alex, the guitarist, came in late and added just the perfect accompaniment to the rhythm section, without stepping on their feet. He carved out his own space, without dominating. This is all about drums and bass . . . but listen to how the guitar fills in the blanks. . . .
www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwC9bW0q7o4
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I finally got the Rush Snakes and Arrows on Bluray (3 days after it came out! I've never waited that long for a Rush DVD!). On my 50" plasma and Sony Bluray player, this is quite simply the best concert video I've ever seen. It is absolutely stunning. The camera work is excellent, and the boys put on quite a show. The picture is so crisp and tight, I can see individual hairs on their heads. During a guitar solo, I can see Alex's knuckle hair! I can tell which strings are vibrating, and which are still. I've never seen anything like this.

And the audio is DTS-HD Master Audio--lossless surround sound. The sound is breathtaking. Clear and spacious. I usually prefer stereo when listening to music, because most multichannel delivers compressed sound to the back speakers. But this is pure, lossless, uncompressed beauty.

Even casual Rush fans will want to pick this up, even if it's just to show off your home theater system! If you've got an HDTV and a Bluray player capable of delivering DTS-HD MA, you will see and hear a musical performance unlike anything you've ever experienced.

It's a good day to be a Rush fan.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Malik23 wrote:I've been thinking about the other recent thread about guitarists. This song was written by Geddy, the bass player in the band. He jammed on it with Neil, the drummer. And then Alex, the guitarist, came in late and added just the perfect accompaniment to the rhythm section, without stepping on their feet. He carved out his own space, without dominating. This is all about drums and bass . . . but listen to how the guitar fills in the blanks. . . .
www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwC9bW0q7o4
Not to take away from Alex, who's always been an amazing and underrated guitarist, but I'd like to give Geddy some props on this tune, which, based on your description, sounds like it's Malignant Narcissism. How this song came to be was Fender, who endorses Geddy, sent him a Jaco Pastorious signature bass, because Geddy, who never played a fretless bass before, mentioned he'd like to try one out sometime. So, Fender sent it to the studio and Geddy was goofing around on it, and the engineer heard it and asked Geddy to play it again while he recorded it. Then Neil put drums to it, and finally Alex showed up and did the guitar parts. Anyway, I think Geddy did a damn fine job for his first time on a fretless......
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Dan, you're absolutely right. I'd never argue with someone who is bragging on a member of Rush. :D Ged is the man. Your recap of the MalNar story is accurate. Sounds like you watched the S&A MVI "making of" video, too. I didn't know anyone else on the board had that disc. Very interesting and informative. My favorite part is when their engineer asks Neil to redo his drum parts for a song they had just finished. He'd been playing his heart out for 6 hours or so, and wasn't looking forward to redoing parts he had written and recorded. But like a pro, he went back and hammered out four new verses, and transformed the song (The Way the Wind Blows) to something much better.

Regarding MalNar, Geddy did write it and played it on a kind of bass he'd never used before. I was impressed by this. However, from a compositional and collaborative standpoint, I was equally impressed by Alex's ability to find a space in that song--which is basically a bass showcase--and not step on Ged's toes. Alex is an expert at this, which is one of the reasons I love his style. I love how he isn't your typical egotistical, "I must be the loudest member of the band," guitarist. Like a good jazz band, he knows how to play WITH his bandmates so that they are all equal, and all have their time to take the forefront. (I'm a bass player, BTW, and in my band I was always trying to get our mediocre guitarist to step back and stop dominating, to let me take an equal role).
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I got the S&A live dvd the other day, but haven't watched it yet, because of football :biggrin: . I got the story on Narcissism from the Bass Player interview Geddy did when the studio cd was realeased. I've been a fan of Rush since I convinced aTOMiC to give me his copy of All The World's A Stage 31 years ago.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Return to “Vespers”