AZ Congresswoman has been shot, many others dead

Archive From The 'Tank
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

HLT, I thought so at first, too. But the "we" in, "...we are far too eager to lay the blame for all that ails the world at the feet of those who think differently than we do..." can only refer to those who blame conservative rhetoric for this tragedy. No one is accusing Palin (or any other conservative) of blaming "all that ails the world" on people who think differently than she does.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:
Zarathustra wrote:Sorry ... another double post.

I wanted to give Obama some credit. From Fox News:
...In honoring the heroes and victims of a mass shooting that left six dead and 14 injured, including Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, the president directly addressed the ensuing national debate about rhetorical vitriol by pleading with Americans not to "use this tragedy as one more occasion to turn on one another."

"At a time when our discourse has become so sharply polarized -- at a time when we are far too eager to lay the blame for all that ails the world at the feet of those who think differently than we do -- it's important for us to pause for a moment and make sure that we are talking with each other in a way that heals, not a way that wounds," he said during a 34-minute speech to a capacity crowd at the University of Arizona's sports arena, the McKale Memorial Center.
Thank you Obama for saying the right thing. I didn't watch the entire memorial service because I grew frustrated at all the hooting and hollaring and cheering, but I'm sorry I missed that part.
Huh?
Thanks?
He just fed the "Rush Limbaugh/Sarah Palin type of talk caused this tragedy" mindset.
It sounds like he's talking about today but he's just as easily saying it was the cause.
He's a tricky bastard.
Really? Is that what it says?
Seems to me that's perfectly the opposite of what it does say.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Zarathustra wrote:HLT, I thought so at first, too. But the "we" in, "...we are far too eager to lay the blame for all that ails the world at the feet of those who think differently than we do..." can only refer to those who blame conservative rhetoric for this tragedy. No one is accusing Palin (or any other conservative) of blaming "all that ails the world" on people who think differently than she does.
I agree with that part.
This is the part the smells to me :"it's important for us to pause for a moment and make sure that we are talking with each other in a way that heals, not a way that wounds"

F-O!
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I actually thought that BHO did a decent job last night. I can't really fault him for anything that came out of his mouth. That said, his speaking style is markedly different than when he was a candidate. Is it just me, or has he become a really flat, boring public speaker?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

People who are running for an office are motivated; people who are in office are not.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

^^ hahaha ^^

Yeah, y'all (and I mean all) seem to seize any opportunity to blame the other side. It's perhaps not unusual, but it is vehement.

--A
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

I think the loony left is pushing me to vote for Palin. If they would shut up and stop blaming her for everything and then going ballistic at her videos, I can continue to ignore her. If they persist in their stupidity, I'll have to vote for her just to spite them. And I don't want to have to do that.
--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

My poke was directed at all politicians, regardless of party affiliation or, indeed, in which country they are a politician.

As the old joke states, you can tell when a politician is lying because their mouth is moving.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Cybrweez wrote:I think the loony left is pushing me to vote for Palin. If they would shut up and stop blaming her for everything and then going ballistic at her videos, I can continue to ignore her. If they persist in their stupidity, I'll have to vote for her just to spite them. And I don't want to have to do that.
Interesting. Some on the left are doing this, I agree. But, purely from what I've seen, many on the left...especially the moderate/center left...are trying to avoid this, but it's not easy to do.
Recently [the last 3 weeks or so], twice on CNN, once on Fox, I've seen Dem's attempt to say "she's not the issue we're here to talk about", but the hosts refused to let them, kept pushing/rephrasing/returning. And I've seen the same thing happen to some on the right, as well.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

Believe me vraith, I know its all over, that's why I don't vote pub or dem. But, its seems its a bit over the top w/Palin, and they cynic in me is fighting to get out.
--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

Cybrweez wrote:Believe me vraith, I know its all over, that's why I don't vote pub or dem. But, its seems its a bit over the top w/Palin, and they cynic in me is fighting to get out.
The funny thing is that Palin has pretty well always been Palin. I'm not a huge fan of hers but there is no way someone's convincing me that she's suddenly morphed into a danger to all that we hold dear.

I do know people who are saying things like "Sarah Palin is destroying this country" ...and that's just sad. If they are looking for who is "destroying" the USA maybe they should be taking a long look at those with actual political power.
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

I'll never vote for Sarah Palin. Ever.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

I will say this. The left is trying very very hard to destroy someone they say doesn't stand a snowballs chance in hell of actually becoming POTUS.

That tells me that she is a clear and present danger for them - and certainly worthy of attempting to understand better instead of simply lazily going along with a 2008 view of her, or the view they want you to have of her.

Anybody who says she's stupid, is either intelelctually lazy or stupid themselves.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Vain wrote:I will say this. The left is trying very very hard to destroy someone they say doesn't stand a snowballs chance in hell of actually becoming POTUS.

That tells me that she is a clear and present danger for them - and certainly worthy of attempting to understand better instead of simply lazily going along with a 2008 view of her, or the view they want you to have of her.

Anybody who says she's stupid, is either intelelctually lazy or stupid themselves.
I think she'd have real long odds, but wouldn't say completely impossible.

I initially, way back when, thought she was stupid...since then, I've changed my mind, she was insufficiently prepared/informed. She's smarter than the average mama grizzly, though not really impressive. I do think she's untrustworthy, though, and both narrow and close-minded.
Harbinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Harbinger »

Looks like someone tried to turn the funerals into a pep rally.
Never underestimate the power of denial. - Ricky Fitts
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

Vraith wrote:I initially, way back when, thought she was stupid...since then, I've changed my mind, she was insufficiently prepared/informed. She's smarter than the average mama grizzly, though not really impressive. I do think she's untrustworthy, though, and both narrow and close-minded.
Well it's a positive that you've shifted a bit :) I don't understand the untrustworthy bit though?

As for narrow and close-minded we can certainly discuss that but of course I tend to disagree :)
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Vain wrote:
Vraith wrote:I initially, way back when, thought she was stupid...since then, I've changed my mind, she was insufficiently prepared/informed. She's smarter than the average mama grizzly, though not really impressive. I do think she's untrustworthy, though, and both narrow and close-minded.
Well it's a positive that you've shifted a bit :) I don't understand the untrustworthy bit though?
She's a politician. Ergo, she's untrustworthy. :lol: Also, this whole "Mama Grizzles" thing smacks too much like a "Hitler's Youth" deal... you know, brainwashing through group mentality... "I'm a mama grizzle, I must protect my cubs from the progressive threat! Not sure what that is, but Mama Palin will tell us who's causing it!"
She completly lost any support from me when she resigned from the governorship to pursue a lucrative book tour. She essentially abandoned her constituents for selfish reasons. As a result I don't trust her because Palin will do what's best for Palin.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Rawedge Rim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rawedge Rim »

Orlion wrote:
Vain wrote:
She's a politician. Ergo, she's untrustworthy. :lol: Also, this whole "Mama Grizzles" thing smacks too much like a "Hitler's Youth" deal... you know, brainwashing through group mentality... "I'm a mama grizzle, I must protect my cubs from the progressive threat! Not sure what that is, but Mama Palin will tell us who's causing it!"
She completly lost any support from me when she resigned from the governorship to pursue a lucrative book tour. She essentially abandoned her constituents for selfish reasons. As a result I don't trust her because Palin will do what's best for Palin.
But you would trust a governor, senator, mayor, representative, to run for what is percieved as a higher office while at the same time holding an elected office? IE: Damn near everyone who ran for president, and most of the governors in the various states, and a number of senators.
“One accurate measurement is worth a
thousand expert opinions.”
- Adm. Grace Hopper

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Vain wrote:Anybody who says she's stupid, is either intelelctually lazy or stupid themselves.
Unfortunately there is a strict rule in the 'Tank that nobody may make fun of any spelling errors unless they're mine. :(

;)

--A
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

Vain wrote:Anybody who says she's stupid, is either intelelctually lazy or stupid themselves.
Unfortunately there is a strict rule in the 'Tank that nobody may make fun of any spelling errors unless they're mine. :(

;)

--A
I was honest enough not to edit that :)

Return to “Coercri”