ELOHIMFEST June 21st 2014 the official thread

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

duke wrote:How do you guys describe this meeting to your friends and family? I can't really say "I'm going to Elohimfest 4" as that requires too much explaining afterwards. I'm left with saying meeting my "SRD geek friends" or the blander "attending a SRD fan event". Maybe I should just stick with "I'm going to Elohimfest" and launch into an explanation of the Elohim after enjoying the other person's puzzled expression for a while. :)
Having got over the fact that I am actually going (coming?) to ABQ in June, my friends ask why. "Well, it's these books" I say, at which point they switch off and nothing more need be said. :D One of my friends almost had a heart attack last week. "What! YOU are going to America"? :roll:

It's good to have the Watch back, by the way, although I shall now be away from home for four days with no internet access.
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

I usually say that I'm meeting with a collection of my imaginary friends and leave it at that.

And honestly, in my opinion, only Skyping the SRD event is leaving out some of the best parts of an EFest in my opinion; the drinking and getting to hang out with the actual people behind the names. That has been the most enjoyable instead of the awkward bit of fan excitement over someone who seems a bit uncomfortable around people, yet brought all these people together. Again, that was my experience.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

But that's no reason to rule it out.
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Cagliostro wrote: the drinking and getting to hang out
All of a sudden I'm missing Jenn. 8)
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Cagliostro wrote: And honestly, in my opinion, only Skyping the SRD event is leaving out some of the best parts of an EFest in my opinion; the drinking and getting to hang out with the actual people behind the names. That has been the most enjoyable instead of the awkward bit of fan excitement over someone who seems a bit uncomfortable around people, yet brought all these people together. Again, that was my experience.
Definitely. There would be nothing comparable to actually being there. But it's better than nothing. I can Skype (or Google) while drinking to help the experience :D
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

lorin wrote:
Where has she been?

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

StevieG wrote: But it's better than nothing. I can Skype (or Google) while drinking to help the experience :D
Heh...when I originally "suggested," [which means whimsically posted something that popped into my head so just jokingly mentioned not conceiving it could be real] I was picturing [literally, scene popped into my head] of a bunch of folk in a backyard with marshmallows, ribs, and booze partying surrounded by a bunch of tables and fenceposts with laptops on them showing other folk boozing and ribbing and everyone chattering.
[[later on I realize the folk on comp's couldn't mingle with others...they'd have to rely on the kindness of legged people to mingle with them...but whatever.]]]

I'm pretty sure, in the background of my original image, were a couple people doing things less licit than booze, arguing over whether the DVD or USB or HDMI were more likely to get the screeened persons "involved" in the "activity."
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Sorus wrote:
lorin wrote:
Where has she been?
somewhere in the middle of the country shucking corn.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Turns out, I had enough frequent flyer miles. Who knew? I am booked in. My flight out on Friday has TWO layovers ... but I will make it to the barbeque. Back on Monday.

I was wondering if I should get some sort of minivan for a rental, in case there's a trip to Andelain or something like that. Yes? No?
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Yay!!!
See you in June, way. :hearts:
(now to get more Watchers to commit)
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Since Ali, Iolanthe and I are going exploring after I am renting a corollaish car. If it is like last time, quite a few will need rides. SD rented some kind of monster mobile that carried at least 50 individuals. ;)
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Truth be told, my reservation in 2011 was for a standard sedan...but I still had so many frequent-renter credits built up from my inglorious banker days when I was on the road 2/3 of the time, that I was instantly upgraded to an SUV that seated a platoon.

No guarantees that such will happen again...although I will absolutely make myself and my vehicle available again to help move people from lodgings to danlo's and to the various event venues. Had I not done so, I would not have had the opportunity to solidify acquaintance with Loremaster, Orlion, the Nulls, and many others. Menolly and I look forward to it...and Dam-sel is planning to join us by Saturday's festivities, as long as her school year ends by Friday.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I've reserved some sort of full size car and will gladly carry people to and fro.
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Went and got my Esta done this morning. :D
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Vraith wrote:
StevieG wrote: But it's better than nothing. I can Skype (or Google) while drinking to help the experience :D
Heh...when I originally "suggested," [which means whimsically posted something that popped into my head so just jokingly mentioned not conceiving it could be real] I was picturing [literally, scene popped into my head] of a bunch of folk in a backyard with marshmallows, ribs, and booze partying surrounded by a bunch of tables and fenceposts with laptops on them showing other folk boozing and ribbing and everyone chattering.
[[later on I realize the folk on comp's couldn't mingle with others...they'd have to rely on the kindness of legged people to mingle with them...but whatever.]]]

I'm pretty sure, in the background of my original image, were a couple people doing things less licit than booze, arguing over whether the DVD or USB or HDMI were more likely to get the screeened persons "involved" in the "activity."
Other than the laptops, your image is not that far off the mark. :lol: You're coming, right?

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

I'll be there. I just haven't yet decided how. The main variable right now is how much vacation time I will have available in June. I want to take two weeks for this and drive out, though that may not be possible. I'll see where I'm at in about six weeks and decide all that. In any case, I'll have a car, either my own or a rental.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Well, if no one thinks we need another transport vehicle I guess I will just rent a zoomy two-seater with a top that goes down and so that everyone sweat-stuck to the back seat of Don's Towncar will wish they were riding with me.
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

wayfriend wrote:Well, if no one thinks we need another transport vehicle I guess I will just rent a zoomy two-seater with a top that goes down and so that everyone sweat-stuck to the back seat of Don's Towncar will wish they were riding with me.
Heck.....I think I should let Ali drive (We can't let Iolanthe drive or we would be on the wrong side of the road) and I'll hang in the zoomy two seater with the top down. The cars top, that is. 8)
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

lorin wrote:I'll hang in the zoomy two seater with the top down. The cars top, that is. 8)
and wayfriend pouts... :twisted:

:biggrin:
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Hey, lorin is first in line, but she leaves her self open to being topped ... or untopped, as the case may be.

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”