What Film Moment is your Favourite?

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

Home For the Holidays (we own it and play it while gathering our nerve for the Nov-Dec holidays): the whole movie really, but especially the scene that has Charles Durning saying he wants to move because he can't stand the shame.

Edward Scissorhands: the scene where Edward first shows off his hedge-clipping talents "We're not sheep."

The Others: the scene with the daughter in the closet and the old woman -- we watched it in the theater, and my wife literally screamed at this one.

The Exorcist III: the scene in the nursing home, where the possessed old lady is crawling on the ceiling. One of my all-time favorite scary movies. Brad Dourif made this movie. George C. Scott also very good.

Troll II: 'Who's gonna eat you, little brother?' '<gasp> Nilbog is gobliN spelled backwards!' and of course, salvation found in a bologna sandwich. [This so-bad-its-funny B-movie, along with many others, spawned the Horror Movie Character Survival Guide in its many forms - and I am one of the initial authors of the Usenet posting that started it, I am proud to say].

Poltergeist II: an otherwise blah movie, but any scene with the uber-creepy old minister man. I had nightmares of him for months after first seeing the movie. He epitomized evil for me for a long while. Flat-out frightening.

Spiderman: The end of the scene where Peter puts the smack on Flash, with a kid saying "Parker, you really are a freak." To me, that's the defining moment of Spiderman, and high school in general, that makes you like this character - he's a friggin' superhero, and still is a victim of his own image.

DW
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

DukkhaWaynhim wrote:The Exorcist III: the scene in the nursing home, where the possessed old lady is crawling on the ceiling. One of my all-time favorite scary movies. Brad Dourif made this movie. George C. Scott also very good.
Great film. I'd also add the scene in the hospital with the hedge clippers.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

The Exorcist III: the scene in the nursing home, where the possessed old lady is crawling on the ceiling.
Yeah, that was creepy.
dennisrwood
The Gap Into Spam

Post by dennisrwood »

dw: Home For the Holidays is excellent! my favorite part is the dinner scene. julie agrees that is also her favorite scene. also Durning playing with his organ! :)

Once Around: the ending.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

"Aren't you having fun?! Isn't fun the best thing to have?! Don't you wish you were me? I know I do!"

"How rich are you?"
"All I can say is, I wish I had a dime for every dime I have."

"I don't drink. Nobody in my family drinks."
"Oh, that's great! You'll probably never run out of ice your whole life!"

"Excuse me! Oh, you're a hedge!"
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

Don't know if you guys have seen this site before, but I find it hilarious to read these ultra-condensations of movies.... in case you don't have time to see them all.

Also try this link for the same treatment applied to books. Note that the 1st and 2nd Chronicles have been given the treatment as well.

DW
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Movie-a-minute? I'll raise you 30 seconds and some bunnies.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

Wow, I posted somehting on page 1 of this and have since gone back and read all. There are some great moments remmebered there. Thanks guys. A few that a close to me:

MM:
Star Wars: A New Hope -- opening scene. Tiny Rebel ship flees from the massive Star Destroyer that chases it down, amid laser fire detonating across the screen and the heavens. Maybe my most favorite moment.

City Lights -- closing scene. This is some serious silent movie magic. The Tramp comes upon the formerly blind girl whose sight has been restored thanks to his aid, though it has made him destitute once more. But he smiles for her, and she recognizes that he is her benefactor. I vote this the greatest tearjerking scene ever. (MM)
I Totally agree with SW A new Hope... I saw it when I was .... oh, 11, and my dad got me to go by telling me it was like Star Trek (I was a fan). Without meaning to sound trite, that opening bit changed my movie going life forever. Best opening ever (Saving Private Ryan is second. Miller's Crossing 3rd.)

And you are absoloutely right. I don't care how old that movie gets, the end of City Lights is so moving! The look that is shared by tose two actors is utterly moving. and then after the look, fade to black and end... WOW!

SRG:
Jaws: "we need a bigger boat"
Amazing moment. The way it is shot, the quick cut to Roy's head jerking back in to frame and that expression.... and the line says it all. Great moment.

I am going to mention one more that perhaps not many know about but it has stuck in my head for so many years and remains one of my person top 10 images/scenes of all time. I saw it first about 25 years ago:
From the Charles Bronson movie, "White Buffalo" when he finally tracks the monsterous creature down to a place that resembles his dreams... They crouch in wait. Then slowly you hear the distant rumble.... it comes. Then the roar. More charging sounds, then the huge white buffalo bursts forth from a wall of snow and ice and begins that long charge down an avenue of evergreen trees...

The image of that huge white buffalo charging send shivers down my spine every time I think about it. I have not seen the movie in about 10 years, but I think it remains a pretty convincing scene...
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Not a Bronson devotee, I'm afraid. I've never heard of White Buffalo, but you do make that scene very vivid.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

When the tripod rises out of the ground in War of the Worlds.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

28 Days later : when the hero is running an empty London.

Dawn of the Dead (remake) when the group realizes the gun owner is starving.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

sgtnull wrote:28 Days later : when the hero is running an empty London.
Good choice.
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

Beautiful...best part of the film...

I didn't say it was a bad film, I just think it's overrated... :D
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

jacob Raver, sinTempter wrote:Beautiful...best part of the film...
Agreed. Its a shame that the rest of it didn't live up to that.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ItisWritten »

Galaxy Quest - The whole verbal sparring during the game of chicken. "I'm dragging mines!"

I love that movie and could list a dozen moments, but just one more: After the first 4 actors are traumatized by the trip through the "black hole", Fred arrives last and reacts with a blase, "That was a hell of a thing."

Serenity - the unflappable Operative yelling as the reaver ships come out of the cloud. "Somebody fire!"
ItisWritten
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

Reservoir Dogs , the final scene Harvey Keitel, Tim Roth, and lots of blood. To me one of the most powerful scenes ever filmed.
Wide Eyed Stupid
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

ItisWritten wrote:Serenity - the unflappable Operative yelling as the reaver ships come out of the cloud. "Somebody fire!"
That moment is pure gold.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!

Return to “Flicks”