Pet Peeves

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Pet peeve: Fred the cat is a incorrigible con artist who seems to consider Dam-sel, Menolly, and myself to be simpletons. When fed, he eats a hole in the center of the kibble pile until the bottom of the bowl shows through, then insists to all that he was never fed.

We're on to you, kitteh!
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Frostheart Grueburn wrote:
So according to workmates, I've managed to evolve into the semblance of an undead frankenstein ragdoll... Yay?
If it's any consolation, you have vastly superior taste in footwear. Those little heels of hers are completely impractical for what I can see of the landscape.
Savor Dam wrote:Pet peeve: Fred the cat is a incorrigible con artist who seems to consider Dam-sel, Menolly, and myself to be simpletons. When fed, he eats a hole in the center of the kibble pile until the bottom of the bowl shows through, then insists to all that he was never fed.

We're on to you, kitteh!
But he can see the bottom - it must be empty.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Sorus wrote:
Savor Dam wrote:Pet peeve: Fred the cat is a incorrigible con artist who seems to consider Dam-sel, Menolly, and myself to be simpletons. When fed, he eats a hole in the center of the kibble pile until the bottom of the bowl shows through, then insists to all that he was never fed.

We're on to you, kitteh!
But he can see the bottom - it must be empty.
Thought of that. Tried shaking the bowl to redistribute the kibble and hide the bottom. The look of scorn and "mrow" of I-Am-Not-Fooled derision made it clear he considered this a cheap trick that should be beneath any responsible human to attempt.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Wildling
Giantfriend

Post by Wildling »

I got a new computer a few months ago and I've quickly developed a new pet peeve: Windows 8.1.

On the bright side, apparently Microsoft has said that anyone running Windows 7 or 8.1 will be eligible for a free upgrade to the new Windows when it's released. Hopefully it's a much more coherent pile than this one is.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

I avoid Windows 8 akin to black plague.
Sorus wrote:
Frostheart Grueburn wrote:
So according to workmates, I've managed to evolve into the semblance of an undead frankenstein ragdoll... Yay?
If it's any consolation, you have vastly superior taste in footwear. Those little heels of hers are completely impractical for what I can see of the landscape.
Why, thank you. She never did venture into Frostgiantland through one of the enchanted doors, now did she? Or got out much in the first place? Else she might have learned a few valuable lessons about 6-7 months of ice and sleet and snow and horizontal rain and churning mud and all the other beguiling nuances of the arctic countries...
Linna Heartlistener wrote:I killed the aforementioned patchwork skirt with bleach.
:(
Linna Heartlistener wrote: I once wanted to turn locks of my hair into a mustache + beard and be a dwarf woman for Halloween.
Heh, female dwarves are awesome. :D Especially in Discworld.

Memo: Never purchase a patchwork skirt and tiny heeled shoes. Co-workers will die of laughter.
Last edited by Frostheart Grueburn on Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michaelm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by michaelm »

I kind of got used to Windows 8 after a while and stopped hating it. More than anything it's probably that I've adjusted to its stupid workflow and don't worry about it anymore.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

That's a cute outfit, Frosty! Tell your workmates to get a freaking life. :evil:

Here is my pet peeve re cat feeding: Mr. Wommy. :roll: If left to his own devices, he will eat all of the kibble in both his and Morgan's bowls. She is a more sensible eater -- she has a few mouthfuls and then comes back later. But of course if Wommas has had free rein, there's nothing left for her when she comes back. We've been putting hers up on the former microwave cart, but he's figured out how to get his ample butt up there. So we're now barricading her bowl of kibble on the top shelf of the same cart, behind a barrier of cat food cans. Since Batty is home all day most of the time, she's available to bring the bowl down for Morgan.

I mean, it's good that he's determined and (relatively) clever, and jumping up on the cart gives him some exercise. It's just...arrgh.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Cats appear to be an endless cause for complaints, and yet people never cease having them. ;)
aliantha wrote:That's a cute outfit, Frosty! Tell your workmates to get a freaking life. :evil:.
Thanks, and don't worry, I'm laughing at the matter myself. :P Just mentally going "aargh" after substantial (and costly) renewals of the wardrobe. Sillybuggery akin to this is far too deeply ingrained into the cultural backbone to vanish.
Last edited by Frostheart Grueburn on Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Frostheart Grueburn wrote:Cats appear to be an endless cause for complaints, and yet people never cease having them. ;)
Indeed! I just got a new iPod with new headphones... and I do not know what Apple put in those headphones, but Quick has been stealing them every opportunity he gets. Not playing with them, just grabbing them and running off with them.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

My youngest agrees that Apple headphones are irresistible. She chewed through one pair, and I broke her of the habit pretty quickly though fortunately she never showed any interest in chewing any other cords.

This is her 'not biting them, honest, just want to yoink them out of your ears' face:

My current pet peeve does not involve cats. It involves all the miscreants who jump the fair gate at the train station, when the system is always complaining about being broke and they've raised the fare for paying riders about five times in the past three years. :evil:

Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Sorus, your cat looks like a mad scientist scheming over some sinister experiment. ;)
Orlion wrote:
Frostheart Grueburn wrote:Cats appear to be an endless cause for complaints, and yet people never cease having them. ;)
Indeed! I just got a new iPod with new headphones...
"Pet" peeves, in sooth. :P Or was this thread originally posted specifically for feline faultfinding?
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Frostheart Grueburn wrote:Sorus, your cat looks like a mad scientist scheming over some sinister experiment. ;)
Orlion wrote:
Indeed! I just got a new iPod with new headphones...
"Pet" peeves, in sooth. :P Or was this thread originally posted specifically for feline faultfinding?
What else is "pet peeve" suppose to mean? ;)
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
michaelm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by michaelm »

Or does one pet one's peeve?

(Perhaps that's too personal a question...)
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

michaelm wrote:Or does one pet one's peeve?

(Perhaps that's too personal a question...)
Some here continue to pet their peevish pussies...

I'm allergic to cats.
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Heh, female dwarves are awesome. :biggrin: Especially in Discworld.
I'm not familiar with those... tell me something amusing about them real quick?

Memo: Never purchase a patchwork skirt and tiny heeled shoes. Co-workers will die of laughter
And probably blame YOU for being a redhead.
Then you could be all like "you caught me; I was willfully committing the act of... being a redhead?"

Peeves... I know I had a good one... oooh, there it is:
Washing dishes... it seems that rubber gloves break so fast..
...and always the same one!

Edit: "amusing." "something amusing." Not "arginine." No, not at all.
Last edited by Linna Heartbooger on Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Frostheart Grueburn wrote:Sorus, your cat looks like a mad scientist scheming over some sinister experiment. ;)
Her preferred title is 'Chaos Engineer,' but she would probably take mad scientist as a compliment.

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Sonny (our dog) scarfs down his food and then whines because we do not give him ours.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Linna Heartbooger

Sorus wrote:My youngest agrees that Apple headphones are irresistible. She chewed through one pair, and I broke her of the habit pretty quickly though fortunately she never showed any interest in chewing any other cords.

This is her 'not biting them, honest, just want to yoink them out of your ears' face:

Btw, I thought that was about the cutest face ever, and had wanted to say that day, "well, I guess I can identify a little, because today my youngest has decided he is a cat." He was a cat all day, pretty much, but didn't cause peeves, just hilarity.

Apparently, though, two of the prime cat names for pretend in our house are "CrankyPants" and "SleepyPants." (Not my idea, but funny.)

I am totally off-topic, as I can think of things I'm peeved by, but no pet peeves atm.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Mine are SnarkyPants when it's appropriate.

Linna Heartbooger

Sounds right!
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"

Return to “General Discussion Forum”