Pantheon - The Third Age - Game Thread

Moderator: Xar

Zephyr
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zephyr »

It is difficult to keep up with you, Bel. :lol: But if you have anything specific in mind, please contact me privately. To discuss a plan to save Eiran from any of the things threatening it where Mox can eavesdrop is unwise. To discuss a threat to Mox where he can eavesdrop is well beyond foolish.
Bel
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bel »

Doubt is weakness, Zephyr. If we are true in our purpose, then we will succeed.

Nor are we two alone. We need not determine each action ourselves, only act and provide support as necessary to achieve the ultimate goal. That is why I open myself to you all, that your strengths may add to my own in this task.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Zephyr
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zephyr »

It is not "doubt" to hide your plans from your enemy. There is no reason whatsoever to tell him how he will be attacked.
Simjen
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Simjen »

An interesting choice of words, Brid. But that is fine. Trust is to be earned, not given. I wish you and your people well.

I am certain, however, that the creatures of fire and stone are not mine. I, at least, have had no word of them. If you need assistance against them, I can offer my aid. Were Maeror or Bhakti here, they could vouch for my ability in such matters.

What most intrigues me, though, is your claim about star metal. I noticed no such effect in the last age. My giants, forged from star metal and the souls of dwarrows, fared quite well against the miscreant's minions, as did Ferax who wielded several artifacts forged from star metal. If you can share the source of your information, I would be in your debt, but if not, I shall still take care in my efforts.
Said she, "What I get I get out of the fire,
So prithee, strike home and redouble the blow."
Zephyr
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zephyr »

I don't think Maeror or Bhakti are needed. You just sealed a rather large crack in the world, eh? :lol:

However, I can speak of such matters, thanks to my father's writings. When a group of adventurers (After this incident, my father always used a rather colorful adjective when refering to them, bless his Loving heart.) summoned some fire demons to - if you can believe it - hunt a bear for them 8O, and the demons set fire to a chunk of Shakari, my father asked if Simjen could take care of them. In a few moments, they were gone, and were never heard from again.
The Numen
Giantfriend

Post by The Numen »

Bel wrote:You speak as if you support my purpose, yet are deliberately obtuse.

I invite all to share how they intend to combat such abominations as these, so that our hands together might strike all the harder.

There is much work to be done before the end comes. We do not have the time to dance around one another.
Bel, this is quite a change from your previous attitudes. And parts of Us, admittedly weaker parts, wish to call you out as a hypocrite, the majority of Us choose to view this as your ability to learn and to grow, and thus The Numen salute you and pledge to work by your side to help resolve these troubles.
Nothing rhymes with orange!
O-gon-cho
The Gap Into Spam
Location: And closing of the eyes - true vision, The Light within became...Within the Light

Post by O-gon-cho »

Brid, let me first say it is good to see you among us.
You have been silent far too long for my taste.
Brid wrote:If any god's followers do not trust Simjen's offer of haven - star metal, I believe I heard him say, does not behave as expected in the presence of the Worldbreaker - I may be able to provide an alternative way. It will not suit all, for it involves being branded an exile and a future of solitude.
My ears are hearing of multiple means of saving a few mortals as the time comes among the various members of the Pantheon. Besides you, Brid, and Simjen, I know of two others with means of doing so. There may be yet more unshared with me. I have agreed to help Simjen with some pieces of star metal that I have. As Zephyr has said, who else is better to work it than the Smith?

...and yet, I hold out hope all shall be unnecessary.
A girl can dream what she works towards is still possible...nu?
Zephyr
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zephyr »

Indeed, O-gon-cho, we will save Eiran yet!
Bel
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bel »

A foolish belief, Zephyr. Eiran will come to an end. I only intend to see it end on my own terms.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Madadeva
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Madadeva »

The god of peace speaks of the END ... touched by the Omega indeed. Is Peace now aligned with Madness?!
Zephyr
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zephyr »

My apologies, Bel. I meant to say we will save Eiran so that you may destroy it in the manner you see fit.
Anaya
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Anaya »

Zephyr wrote:Indeed, Anaya. Argothoth went mad with power. I just don't know why you have negative feelings toward my parents because of it. Much less me. Do you think they so much as suspected Argothoth would walk down that path after saving the world from Nor Yekith? I've never heard of anything to suggest they did. Nor Yekith was an extremely powerful absolute evil. A way was found to rid Eiran of him. I don't understand why you blame my family because things went badly afterward.
How can you not understand, Verdant Lord, when this is all about you?

Your parents chose to stand with Argothoth, betraying an ally in the process, because of the danger that Nor Yekith posed, not to Eiran, or to the mortals who inhabit her, but to you. It was the Worm's mad desire to capture and corrupt you that drove them into the Zombie's cold embrace. They looked to him to be their champion, heedless of the consequences, seeking only to spare you a fate worse than death, and themselves the grief that would follow.

Thinking of nothing else.

And what was the result of their betrayal? Pain and suffering, and fear. I wasn't even five years old when the closest thing that I ever had to a father became my worst nightmare, and he has haunted me to this day. Even now I remember standing in terror as he clawed his way out of the earth. I remember my own horror, and my mother's fury and revulsion, as the Blessed Brothers rose from their rest like an abomination, slaughtering those who stood watch over their graves to prevent any further desecration of their bodies.

All so you could remain pure, so that you could become who you are now. My own mind was all but torn apart in fear just so you could ascend.

Nor Yekith came to my mother, before the end, as she held me and wept for all that we had lost. He begged her to form an alliance with him, to aid him in driving Argothoth back. It was an attractive offer I don't doubt, but she turned it down. She knew it would cost you your life, and she was not willing to betray her old allies as they had betrayed her.

And now Argothoth returns, albeit slowly, and many more will have to pay for your life. There will be war, and death, to glut even the most bloodthirsty before it is all over, and I doubt that anything that my mother gave her life to preserve will remain.
Simjen wrote:I am certain, however, that the creatures of fire and stone are not mine. I, at least, have had no word of them. If you need assistance against them, I can offer my aid. Were Maeror or Bhakti here, they could vouch for my ability in such matters.
I once held your very soul in my hands, Simjen. In the absence of your comrades, I can certainly vouch for your ability in all things.
When you reach a crossroad
Fate is the path you choose to walk
And Fate is the path down which you are thrust
Zephyr
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zephyr »

I don't know where "betrayal" is in that, Anaya. That things were less than perfect - that there were horrors - there can be no doubt. But think from my parents' point of view...

The world was going to be subjected to the extreme horror of forced, painful Mutation. (Even Nor Yekith often stated that he had to painfully force it on his own followers.) Or, it was going to be subjected to the extreme horror of watching its dead rise from their graves.

Which is the lesser of the evils? At least Argothoth's way, the living remained as they were. The world could largely go on as it had. Free will would still be a part of life. None of that applied to Nor Yekith's plan.

And, yes, I was a consideration. If all other things were equal, which they were not, why would you expect a parent to not make the choice based on which option allows their child to live??? I live, and the world gets the far less evil future. It is not much of a choice, as my parents saw it. And I agree with them.

Anyway, you seem to be blaming my parents. THEY were not Undeath. THEY did not do this thing that you hate. They simply said it was a better solution than Nor Yekith's.
Anaya
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Anaya »

It's true that your parents had a difficult choice to make, that I will grant you. My mother and I had no choice. Your parents choice was forced upon us, and we were forced to live with the consequences.

Perhaps they were more like Nor Yekith than they cared to admit.
Zephyr
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zephyr »

There still seems to be a large misunderstanding. It was not "my parents'" choice. They supported Argothoth in what he did. Why would they not, since it meant the lesser of evils, and the life of their son? How is it that you blame my parents for anything in this? My grandfather was an ally of Argothoth's. He knew that Love existed among the Undead. They worked together to stop the Northern Kingdom, using Undeath to reunite lost Love. From this, my father knew that Argothoth was not evil. (That Argothoth then went mad for a time is another matter...)

You are angry about what happened. You were among many who had the right to be angry. You should not be blaming my parents for it.

And you should think of it this way. Many saw things that were not pleasant. Things that were, perhaps, terrible. And they were angry. But they were capable of being angry! Don't you see?!? Ask the people of Dawnstar what Nor Yekith's vision would have brought to every inhabitant of Eiran. Oh, wait, you can't ask them, because they have no heads. And no will. And no anger, or love, or preferences. No comfort. No discomfort. Nothing at all. That is what Nor Yekith was trying to bring! That is what Argothoth prevented! The fact that none would work against Nor Yekith before that, despite my father's pleas, meant that Argothoth's action, which he accomplished by gathering massive donations of power from many of their pantheon (none more than Nor Yekith), was the only way anyone knew of that could prevent Nor Yekith from forcing his vision onto all. Quite possibly you and I, as well, despite our divine blood. And we would not be having this dispute.

Things are never particularly simple. Especially when evil is close to world domination. Bad options may be better than they would be otherwise.

But, please, stop blaming my parents. And me. Yes, they did support Argothoth's plan. Yes, I am extremely happy they did. As there were no other options, it is the reason you and I are here. But it was not my parents' plan. It was not their act.
Anaya
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Anaya »

Are you saying that none of their power went to aid him in committing his crime? If that is the case then I have indeed misunderstood much.

What I do understand however, is that a tyrant to rival Nephirthos himself was created, for good can never be accomplished through evil means. Now a way must be found to stop him. My mother was a mighty enemy of the undead in her day for a number of reasons, not all of which have to do with my long-standing grudge against you and your family. Let us hope that I learned something from her before she departed.

Do not forget though, Verdant Lord, that all this talk of mortals having choices is a falacy. We are gods - by our very nature we impose our will upon others. It is who we are. Who we were born to be.

The only true salvation for Eiran will be the final and irreversable death of every last one of us.
Zephyr
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zephyr »

Anaya wrote:Are you saying that none of their power went to aid him in committing his crime? If that is the case then I have indeed misunderstood much.
No. That, if nothing else, you have right. A thirtieth of the power Argothoth used came from my father. Do you blame anyone but my father for what happened? Is even Argothoth more responsible?
Anaya wrote:What I do understand however, is that a tyrant to rival Nephirthos himself was created, for good can never be accomplished through evil means. Now a way must be found to stop him. My mother was a mighty enemy of the undead in her day for a number of reasons, not all of which have to do with my long-standing grudge against you and your family. Let us hope that I learned something from her before she departed.
So it's "the sins of the father...", is it? Very well.
Anaya wrote:Do not forget though, Verdant Lord, that all this talk of mortals having choices is a falacy. We are gods - by our very nature we impose our will upon others. It is who we are. Who we were born to be.
That does not describe me. This does:

THE WORD OF ZEPHYR

"Worship." Such a flexible word. Sometimes a deity demands how s/he will be worshiped. Sometimes it is the worshipers who create the words; the rituals.

As for the me, it is very simple... Your devotion to the Forests is devotion to me. If you are Loving the Forests, you are Loving me. If you are caring for the Forests, you are caring for me. If you are honoring the Forests, you are honoring me. I demand nothing else. I require nothing else. I want nothing else. The only "prayer" to me that is of value is a prayer asking my help with the Forests. And those prayers I will always answer to the best of my ability. Every leaf and twig is far more worthy of reverence than I am. Every Forest is a cathedral more holy than anything that could possibly be constructed in my name. Live in the Forests. Live with the Forests. Live as a part of the Forests. You could not "worship" me more thoroughly or devoutly than this.

Anaya wrote:The only true salvation for Eiran will be the final and irreversable death of every last one of us.
Now that is the closest to the truth you've yet come! Although our deaths are not necessary. Permanently halting the process by which worship leads to the worshiped gaining power is the key. Our deaths would not suffice. Kill me, kill all of us, and others will come to take our place. Will they be better than we are? Will they be worse?
Anaya
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Anaya »

Sins of the faher? Perhaps. My mother made her own mistakes, committed her own crimes, and the responsibility for those I will not cast aside. You misunderstand me this time however. Blame aside, something must be done to stop Argothoth. Nephirthos alone is more terrible than any world deserves, but between the two they will tear the very essence of Eiran apart if they are not stopped.

You say that if a mortal honours the Forests, he honours you, and that you require nothing else, but have you not fought against those who would dishonour the Forests? Those who with flame and blade wosought to destroy all that you hold dear.

You imposed your will - that the Forests are sancrosanct - and mortal followers of Eztlicoatl likely died in defiance. I find no fault with this, for one must protect one's domain, yet it is an imposition of you will upon mortality. It is true that your hand is gentler than almost al others, but you cannot say it is never raised.

If others will always rise to replace us, then surely Eiran is doomed to continue her downward spiral into the abyss. Better perhaps that we should fade - remaining against the ascension of others and nothing more.
Zephyr
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zephyr »

I did not impose my will because the Forests are sacrosanct. I imposed my will because Eztlicoatl claimed yet another Forest, and refused to so much as let me send a message to my followers that were in it, and tell them to move out.

But the technicalities really don't matter. Blame me, blame Eztlicoatl, it doesn't matter. Some of Eiran's inhabitants died. And others died in my war with Nor Yekith. His, mine, the Void's... Yes, because deities are on Eiran. Best thing that ever happened to Eiran was the Interdiction. So what do you have in mind?
Anaya
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Anaya »

You speak truly - the technicalities do not matter. The inhabitants of Eiran suffer because of our existance, though neither you nor I would ever wish such suffering upon them.

As for my thoughts concerning Argothoth and the undead menace, I would ask your patience. I know a little of the Ash Lich and his army - how much more I learn depends on who escaped Virelle alive. Certain messengers sought to bring me a thing of great power that may be the key to our salvation.

Return to “Pantheon”