2011 Watchy Discussion

Spotlighting Watchers and posts that go Above and Beyond the call of duty.

Moderators: Menolly, [Syl]

Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Well, looks like I'll have to toss in a few names from the top of my memory while packing and leave it at that. :/

Incidentally, where would this go (video): kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21417
Thinking it needs a little bit of recognition.
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Frostheart wrote:Err, could we extend the nominating deadline to, say, the end of September? Seems awfully short a while, considering how long the process hopped around in circles before taking flight. I personally haven't had time to cone through almost any threads here, and beginning from next week, will have only infrequent mobile net access till mid-September. :(
I'm with Frosty about this. I've made a few nominations and seconds but each one takes a bit of time. I'd suggest the end of the month as well.

It's not as if the Watchy Statuettes are going to go off :biggrin:

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Sorry, this is about voting, not a democracy. :mrgreen:

As for that post, use your best judgment. I'd say best post or thread, SRD or non (movie threads are kind of iffy). If you're right, it'll get a second.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

moved post

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

most kind?

:roll:

[mod edit]moved from Most Kind thread, as post is neither a nomination nor a second. ~m[/mod edit]
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Wait, are these for 2011 only? Or 2010 stuff as well?

--A
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

I'm getting prods from multiple people about deleted stuff. :oops: Too late to repost for consideration? :hide:

And, as much as I'm feeling like a complete idiot about it, my writer's circle stuff from last year is also back in the HoG.
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

Even if it changes nothing, I join in on complaining on the "deadline". So many wonderful variants, and so many can be overlooked because of the need for a hasty decision.

And I haven't seen any new opinions on spam, if no objections arise within about a day, I'll do it, and in every way I deem remotely fitting. Menolly, if you do it as well - all the better)
Avatar wrote:Wait, are these for 2011 only? Or 2010 stuff as well?

--A
[Syl Embattled] in the Nomination Rules thread wrote:Also, I've decided that since we're missing a year of Watchies, you can roll in nominations for 2010. It'll be like one big year (with the 2012 watchies a season away. yay!).
Frostheart wrote:I'm getting prods from multiple people about deleted stuff. :oops: Too late to repost for consideration? :hide:

And, as much as I'm feeling like a complete idiot about it, my writer's circle stuff from last year is also back in the HoG.
Never too late) And thanks for the reposts)) I generally see no good point in deleting artworks and fiction. Reminds me of the quote from Bugakov's "The Master and Margarita" by Woland: "Manuscripts don't burn". Even though practice tries to prove they do, I think they shouldn't.
sgt.null in the Best Pic thread wrote:kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/album_page.php?pic_id=2121

i can't seem to post the image! can some kind soul help?
The pics in the Album apparently give an id instead of a direct image link. I think the easiest ways to solve it.

1. To copy it somewhere, if it's not supposed to be really hidden, which doesn't hide much in any case. Easy in your case, the pic is yours anyway. you can copy it to Photobucket or whatever else, or snap it with Gyazo, if it doesn't bother you that it won't be possible to delete it. If that's problematic, tell me, I'll upload it to either of these.

2. If the image is in the Album in order to be not visible to the general Internet, let it be and post a link to it in the Album, like you did.
A role-player, beware
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Avatar wrote:Wait, are these for 2011 only? Or 2010 stuff as well?

--A
2010's done:
kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21747
The icons were made and put in the shop. Hey, it had to be taken care of in one way or another, eh? And I can't imagine doing two years at the same time.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I've already said that if people feel it's appropriate, they can nominate 2010 stuff.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Effaeldm wrote:And I haven't seen any new opinions on spam, if no objections arise within about a day, I'll do it, and in every way I deem remotely fitting. Menolly, if you do it as well - all the better)
Effy, I strongly suggest against doing this. I did it as the mod for the 2009 Watchies, and got a lot of grief about it, despite getting a go ahead from Av ahead of time; although I admit I have a feeling he had no idea how much spam I could generate. I have not been given the go ahead to do so again. As a non-mod, I can only assume the reaction to you doing so would be far worse.
Effaeldm wrote:The pics in the Album apparently give an id instead of a direct image link. I think the easiest ways to solve it.

1. To copy it somewhere, if it's not supposed to be really hidden, which doesn't hide much in any case. Easy in your case, the pic is yours anyway. you can copy it to Photobucket or whatever else, or snap it with Gyazo, if it doesn't bother you that it won't be possible to delete it. If that's problematic, tell me, I'll upload it to either of these.

2. If the image is in the Album in order to be not visible to the general Internet, let it be and post a link to it in the Album, like you did.
As long as an image that is copied and posted to another host site is one's own, or permission to rehost it is granted by poster/creator of the image. I still need to get in touch with marineguy regarding resizing his image, as it is still stretching the thread window. Frostheart has given me permission to resize and host hers; that will be done shortly.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Menolly wrote: I still need to get in touch with marineguy regarding resizing his image, as it is still stretching the thread window. Frostheart has given me permission to resize and host hers; that will be done shortly.
Er, can you please put "click the link for full-size" or something akin to that next to the images or just post thumbnail-sized variants straight off? If you're going to downscale marineguy's image even from that (I already kind of complained about its tininess :lol:), they're becoming pretty much thumbnails anyway in terms of making sense of the content.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Frostheart wrote:
Menolly wrote: I still need to get in touch with marineguy regarding resizing his image, as it is still stretching the thread window. Frostheart has given me permission to resize and host hers; that will be done shortly.
Er, can you please put "click the link for full-size" or something akin to that next to the images or just post thumbnail-sized variants straight off? If you're going to downscale marineguy's image even from that (I already kind of complained about its tininess :lol:), they're becoming pretty much thumbnails anyway in terms of making sense of the content.
*nod*

Yes, that is my intent. :)

If I recall correctly, to prevent thread stretching, images can be no wider than 500 pixels. I will resize to that maximum, leaving the ratio of height to width the same.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

No spamming. People care or they don't. When I feel the nominations are dying down, I'll probably put a thread in A&S, but that's it.

Of course, I can't control what people do in threads other than the ones I moderate, but I wouldn't take kindly to it in those.
-George Steiner
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

I suppose a little advertising wouldn't go astray (jeez, I never thought I'd say those words :lol: ), so, what about putting something (tasteful) in your sig. This wouldn't be spamming (would it?) and it might encourage some more people to make nominations and maybe vote later on.

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

[Syl Embattled] wrote:No spamming. People care or they don't. When I feel the nominations are dying down, I'll probably put a thread in A&S, but that's it.
Effy does have a point about the GT purists having no idea the Watchies have even started though...

I guess I could bump the thread in GT..?
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Menolly wrote:
[Syl Embattled] wrote:No spamming. People care or they don't. When I feel the nominations are dying down, I'll probably put a thread in A&S, but that's it.
Effy does have a point about the GT purists having no idea the Watchies have even started though...

I guess I could bump the thread in GT..?
Or since Effy posts there regularly, it wouldn't be spamming if she just added a line or two into her regular posts, would it?
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Menolly wrote:Effy does have a point about the GT purists having no idea the Watchies have even started though...
If they're really "purists," they won't come into this forum anyway.
-George Steiner
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

Not all may be doing that on principle, may be just not interested in anything but role-play. May well go to GT and Watchy only, still not th SRD forums) Or maybe they can state their nominations right there, how less valid is that? And definitely can vote through private messages. Also, not all people may keep in mind the Watchies or even know what they are about, could use the information. As far as I know, GT is not the only place some people particularly prefer. Of course I mean spam not like covering every unrelated thread with the Watchy info)

I looked for Menolly's posts/threads on that, both the threads and posts themselves and the reaction. That's all exactly what I don't want to do even if I get a direct permission from all the admins and mods. That effort was great in the amount and intended verily well, but I see what the problems with it were. And, even if no help with permissions to do this, something good out of that - saw an awesome post Menolly nominated then) kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=555776#555776

The problem with those, if I understand correctly, was mostly with the off-topic unrelated information, particularly in the quiet forums. Now, if you recall, someone managed to make new threads all over the forum, in character, and trying to make them all interesting and unusual, screwing up significantly only with a few, and even that could be questionable - for instance, the suggestion to gather links to undervalued threads into one thread was somehow deemed not a suggestion) Now doing a similar thing with posts and not in character is levels easier, I actually don't visit many forums much just because of the lack of time and preference to the other places, I can think of a few actually absolutely fitting things to post in any.

ussusimiel, Menolly and sindatur, thank you for the support.
Menolly wrote:...
As long as an image that is copied and posted to another host site is one's own, or permission to rehost it is granted by poster/creator of the image.
Right, I was replying to Sarge about his pic specifically, thus was talking about what he could do freely. Also, I thought it was kind of obvious people won't drag personal pic from the Album without permission, but I sometimes presume a bit much about such things, maybe someone will need this, thanks for the clarification.
A role-player, beware
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Less talky. More nommy.
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

[Syl Embattled] wrote:Less talky. More nommy.
picky, picky, pick, sheriff.

This is the discussion thread, after all. ;)

Return to “The Watchy Awards Forum”