what's your favorite cover?

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Cameraman Jenn wrote:I can tell you a cover I hate/loathe/abhor. Faith Hill should have been drawn and quartered and tarred and feathered and maggots and rotting meat stuffed up her nose while staked out in the hot sun of the desert for such sacrilege of turning "Piece of My Heart" into some fluffy country crap. If I even catch a slight whiff of that while channel surfing on the radio I feel as though I must go out and club a couple dozen baby seals to assuage my rage.
CJ is impressive when she gets on a roll...

Billy Idol's version of "Mony, Mony" is the only one I know. He certainly throws himself into it.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Cameraman Jenn wrote:I can tell you a cover I hate/loathe/abhor. Faith Hill should have been drawn and quartered and tarred and feathered and maggots and rotting meat stuffed up her nose while staked out in the hot sun of the desert for such sacrilege of turning "Piece of My Heart" into some fluffy country crap. If I even catch a slight whiff of that while channel surfing on the radio I feel as though I must go out and club a couple dozen baby seals to assuage my rage.
Jenn, this is why I love you.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
duke
Giantfriend

Post by duke »

My favourite cover at the moment is Bush's "Wild Horses" - the live version that is on YouTube. Rossdale's haunting voice is perfectly suited to heartbreak songs, and this cover is nearly as addictive as "glycerine" was all those years ago.

I must check out the original sometime...
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Currently listening to Oasis's cover of "Cum On Feel The Noize".

Good stuff.

I also really dig Def Leppard's hysterical cover of Englebert Humperdink's "Release Me".
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

A real oldie, but I really enjoy Yes' cover of the Simon and Garfunkel song America.
onewyteduck
The Gap Into Spam

Post by onewyteduck »

Tsk! Tsk! Jenn, just go club Faith Hill. The baby seals are innocent! I'll swear you were with me the whole time!

Duh! Edited because I forgot:

Joe Bonamassa's cover of A New Day Yesterday (Jethro Tull)

A surprisingly good (and certainly differant) bluegrass cover of Stuck In The Middle With You (Stealer's Wheel) by a woman named Dale Ann Bradley.

And there is a live cover of Ramble On from Train (normally a pretty bland and generic band) that kicks butt.

Symphony For The Devil from Blood, Sweat & Tears
Be kind to your web-footed friends, for a duck may be somebody's mother.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I want to mention the Youngified Crazy Mary by Pearl Jam.

But I think the all time hands down best improved cover has to be Dancing in the Streets by Van Halen.
Ki
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ki »

Sheriff Lytton wrote:Tool "No Quarter" (Led Zeppelin cover)
agreed! and you beat me to it. :)

Return to “Vespers”