Deathly Hallows Discussion: Spoilers!!!

And the Harry Potter series.

Moderator: Menolly

sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Oh, and Guns, I haven't read all of the posts in this thread, but, if you've already served the crow, I didn't get a slice, but, I should be eating right along with Jenn
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Just for the record, I think it's kind of silly to use the spoiler tags in a thread that is labeled "spoilers." It's starting to get a bit annoying highlighting everything to read it.
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

MsMary wrote:Just for the record, I think it's kind of silly to use the spoiler tags in a thread that is labeled "spoilers." It's starting to get a bit annoying highlighting everything to read it.
I agree.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Spoiler
Oh yeah! It is very redundant and silly now that you two pointed it out.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Spoiler
Blame that crazy Menolly, it's her fault. ;)
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

dlbpharmd wrote:
Spoiler
Blame that crazy Menolly, it's her fault. ;)

Leave it to a Vol to place blame where blame is due. :|

I understand, truly I do. But the book hasn't even been out two weeks people! Patience, OK?

Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

*sigh* I don't want to hear about another "OMG you didn't spoiler that!" incident like tha last few over SRD's books. Just use the tags and deal. ;)
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

:biggrin:

Thank you, Alynna.

...and no, I didn't call in the reinforcements... ;)
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

In fairness, the thread title *does* say spoilers.....but I'll play along.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

dlbpharmd wrote:In fairness, the thread title *does* say spoilers.....but I'll play along.
Are mods allowed to get snippity with Vols in their own forum?

Oh...who cares if they are or not!!!

:| :| :|

;)
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Menolly wrote:
dlbpharmd wrote:In fairness, the thread title *does* say spoilers.....but I'll play along.
Are mods allowed to get snippity with Vols in their own forum?

Oh...who cares if they are or not!!!

:| :| :|

;)
Well, I do kinda gotta agree with him. I didn't touch the thread myself until I had finished (Course that's why I whined about the untagged minor details in the "Non-spoiler" thread) :D
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I actually tend to agree with dlb that if it says spoilers in the title then you can't cry for entering the thread. You were warned.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

But...

Isn't there a way to read "new posts" without ever seeing a threads title? I always go through the Index, but I thought there was.

...grumble...I was warned the masses don't always appreciate the mods... ;)
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Menolly, no pressure from me. You're the mod, if you decide spoiler tags, I'll back you 100%. The "Spoiler" label on the title was enough for me to stay out, was all I was saying
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

Menolly wrote:But...

Isn't there a way to read "new posts" without ever seeing a threads title? I always go through the Index, but I thought there was.
Yes, there is. You can see the thread title but also the start of each post, and most people tend to start skimming the post before they notice the title. This is why spoilering became an issue in the first place.

Mods protect those who can't protect themselves. ;)
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Cameraman Jenn wrote:Guns, Here I am with a big serving of humble pie in front of me. Guns was right about everything and I was wrong wrong WRONG! How's that? :biggrin:

AH YES!!! This will BE my NOMination for post of the year in the '07 watchies!!!!!

Loved the book! Re-read it already. The attmospere....the grit....the epic nature of it. It was everything I had hoped for!!!

Jenn...I knew that I was right when we saw the petronus... when did you realize it?
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

I have finally finished! HOORAH!

Good book! I really enjoyed it. Kinda feel a bit empty now that I have no more HP books to wait for.

Talk about loss of innocence though. It's certainly a very dark book. And, well, when I think of HP I don't really associate it with so much gore and death. But, well....it served its purpose (and I can't imagine it going any other way). So.....
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

(i too kept away from this thread until I finished --- yesterday --- but now I can post and read!!!!)
Spoiler
OK, much of my thoughts have already been expressed. So I will keep the redundancy to a minimum.

Umbridge... gotta agree with Jen... what a let down ... couldn't we at least see that the Dementors had a go at her?...

ABSOLUTELY the best scary/tense moment was the patronus announcement that the Ministry had fallen. Fantastic moment.

I loved the whole "on the run" parts. Well written. Had a great clausterphobic feel.

Snape with a doe patronus? Wow, didn't see that. However I was suspecting all along that he was helping out, especialy with the sword. Snape was always my man! He will be missed.
I loved how he left his memories/confession for the pensive. Great chapter handled very well.

I too was very disappointed how off-handed some parts were handled. Lupin and Tonks death for one. It has been a complaint o mine for a while that JK introduces too many elements that cannot possibly get full and proper treatment. I think she should take a page or two from SRD style and only write what is necessary to the story, not to indulge any potential readers desire for "more information". More information does not necessarily make a better story.

I liked the Kreacher bit alot. I think it was handled well, and DObby's death was a blow to me too.

I like how Harry is NOT the all powerful wizard (Hermione is better) but it is his guile, bravery, intuition, kindness, drive for action, etc, that makes him great.
He really came in to his own in this book.

I accepted the believability of Narcissa saying that Harry was alive in order to save her son. This has been very evident since book 6. She would go to great lengths to keep her son alive --- even betraying V. Nicely done.

The King's Crossing train station chapter was a must! And well done. Wraped up a lot (the same what Snape's pensive chapter did).

Harry's slow walk in to the forst to meet V was amazing. Very well handles again. When Harry takes out the snitch and says, "I am going to die" and it opens, that was chilling.

Although I felt that Harry 'should have' died, I must confess that his living was well handled. No complaints here.

However it DOES bring up a question I have: JK said during the writing of DH that she had spared one character. Anyone know who it was?>>>
:?

The epilogue ... eh ... it was ... OK ... it was nice to see the happy people grown up, married, kids named after heros...

Well, that's what is buzzing in my head at the moment ...
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Spoiler
I was actually kinda hoping Umbridge would be sidled with a half-human; Half Centaur child due to the time she spent in the woods in Book 6, that would've taught her well. :twisted:

The spared character was Arthur, and Tonks and Lupin were taken out in his place, check out the chat transcripts linked in another thread that explain some of the things that were open questions, such as what became of Luna, why Neville was able to pull the sword out of the sorting hat, etc
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

yah, I just saw that.

Here are some answers:
Spoiler
Pablo: What is toadface umbridge doing now
J.K. Rowling: Glad to see you like her as much as I do!
J.K. Rowling: She was arrested, interrogated and imprisoned for crimes against Muggleborns.
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~

Return to “J.K. Rowling Forum”